Backhand serves

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by drew tze en, Oct 17, 2010.

1. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Why do professional players now Serve Backhand as before they used to use a Forehand Serve?

2. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Its better :)
    Less movement, so harder to guess

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

for world class players, they are so strong in the back court in terms of shot selection (drops, smashes, clears), a lot of players feel by serving high they are giving the attacking initiative to the opponent right away; and because the top players are so good and fast, they feel even if they serve back hand short serves, they are on the offensive, and even if the opponent make a net or clear they are in good shape to recover and continue the rally. and with the new 21 rally points system, the receiver can earn points right away if they attack the serve and win.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

answer:

because it's the only way to serve a low short serve, which is the best serve in doubles and high level singles

as compared to a forehand serve, the backhand serve allows the server to optimize and control the bird trajectory best

a flick serve (or the threat of it) will keep the receiver honest and on his toes

5. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

The backhand low serve has a shorter distance to travel, giving the opponent less time to react.

The backhand low serve action is simpler, making it easier to maintain accuracy.

After a backhand low serve, it's easier to get ready for a reply towards the net, because your chest is already square-on to the net.

6. drew tze en

Thanks for telling me because I use Forehand Low Serves then to Forehand High Serves but I have switched to Backhand Low and Flick Serves

7. kennee

kennee Regular Member

Pro Badminton Daydreamer
    I would assume you are referring more to singles play. I would say do which ever that you're most comfortable with. With that comes confidence to control the court and win points. For the occasional social and club players, it is still very recommended to do the forehand high serve to the rear court tramlines.

The forehand high serve is the FIRST basic serve that every player has to master to do consistently. Can you serve a perfect 20/20 high serve into the rear tramlines? If you can't, you'll be serving a mid court high shuttle, ripe for your opponent to control you; with a smash or a fast drop.

If you CAN, a good forehand high serve can be very intimidating to a low level player. They will struggle to return a clear to your rear tramlines. This will enable you to anticipate his selection of shots and control the court.

You have to observe your opponent's return from every type of serve. How does he/she react? Most beginner to intermediate players will not have the physical strength and endurance to do an effective jumping smash from the back tramlines, so you'll need not worry about that.

In my humble opinion, the backhand low serve is a risky serve to do if you are a beginner. I noticed a lot of beginners in my club try to emulate the pros by doing this. You can lose the point easily if your service is not good enough, and if you are not quick enough to respond to a drive, push or a low clear just over your head from the opponent to your rear court.

On a side note, the forehand low serve is still very popular with the seniors and players from the 80s glory years. Step into a club with seniors playing, and you'll see what i mean.

8. drew tze en

I practice on my Backhand low and flick serves alot to make sure it is perfect

9. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

I currently I mainly do forehand serve. At my current level i find it more accarute and easier and to play varied strokes such as a deep, drive and wide serve, which is more effective against of less advanced players. Also I like how it leaves me with a forehand grip whcih is better for responding.

I do vary it with backhand serve, purely because thats what the pros do and when i get certain level it wont be an area I have neglected.

I play people of varying levels and ability seems to me abilty varies even with players who play in the same league. So i think its not neccessarily about your level but your opponents level.

Against better players I keep I usually keep it a simple short serve against lesser players I mix it up more. I am still a little skepitical that part of reason play backhand is more of fashion thing.
    One of the reason is i used to play basketball and in that sport in some instances shooting is more about style and fashion than effectiveness, even at the very top level.

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Modern players are faster and technically better so they have more attacking options off serve, but eqully as important the rally point scoring means games are shorter so players are more aggressive and not so patient, therefore low serves are required and the technique of backhand serve is more consistent for most people, and the point of contact is closer to the net.

Having said all that many lower players try to emulate top players by serving low backhand when in fact a forehand high serve would be better for them

11. drew tze en

In Singles games now and then I play a high serve but most times I play a Backhand low serve or Flick serve

12. joetheshow

joetheshow Regular Member

Fulltime day dreamer
    I've been experimenting with alot of singles short service lately with a consistent opponent. I am right-handed, and perhaps a C+ lvl players, can make all the standard shots, backhand clears are ok except for the ones where i have to take behind the body/or very low. Reasonable footwork/endurance/power.

Like Kennee said, I feel that at my skill lvl, short serve is somewhat a risky opening to make. I have the following observations about the 2nd and the 3rd shot (when im serving on the 1st shot):

1 - pushes to my forehand corner is dangerous. It becomes easier if i can read it and put my body in a left foot front position to begin the chassis steps and finish on a lunge. A bit slow if i have right foot front.

2 - pushes to my backhand corner is manageable. Quick body turn to play a backhand allows me to clear/drop to 3 if not all 4 corners of the court. Slightly easier if i start with a right foot front stance.

3 - forehand corner net return can be covered in 1 long lunge if im in a left foot front stance, and 1.5 steps if right foot front. If the return is a high quality net, a high lift will bring the game to a high service start anyways.

4 - backhand corner net return is similar to forehand version.

5 - flatter pushes must be intercepted otherwise it leaves me no chance.

IMO the most challenging part at the moment is point 1, which requires me to be physically quicker, or be able to accurately read my opponent and put my body into the right position. Given a deceptive opponent, this becomes very risky. Also, point 5 is a tricky one, and also depends on my serve quality (of course everything depends on that, but let's not over analyze).

The rest of the points are IMO the benefits of the backhand short service. net replies can be covered quickly, and if read well, the 3rd shot can be a tighter net shot which brings me into a more controlling position. Backhand pushes are relatively safe just because the backhand is such a convenient shot to play, as well, if read well, i can attack with over the head stroke.

Have said the above, I feel that at my level, the benefits of backhand short service is not very obvious yet, but I can see how it will become a better option than forehand long service as I improve my core speed and strength.

Assuming normal service quality and that your opponent is not taking a big risk, then:

Pros:

- need to read the forehand push and also need to intercept flat pushes. As opposed to forehand high serve, which requires me to read all 4 corners plus possibility of smashes

Cons:

- under-hand deception is much more easily done for my opponent, making my read on the reply much more difficult.

Conclusion:

- Improving my speed and reaction around the court will require less risk-taking reads from me. By then, short service will be more favorable than forehand high serves.

Please share your thoughts and suggestions on how I can possibly tackle the challenges in different ways.

13. Pizza Fish

Pizza Fish Regular Member

well, like most everyone above me said, the high serve tends to give the opponent more of an attacking advantage.

in doubles, its a no brainer to use the backhand serve, even at club level.

in singles, i would recommend a high forehand serve unless you are a national or international level mens singles player :p

14. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    I never noticed this in my area...could you explain howit is that popular with those kind of players?

15. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    Don't hang the short serve (hang = slow). Increase the speed, and varieties; move it around even when they r all low serve. A slow low serve (easy to read) is a suicide mission.