Saina Nehwal

Discussion in 'India Professional Players' started by saina fan, May 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. depleter

depleter Regular Member

student
  2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    One thing to mention about these articles - were the interviews in english, or another language than translated to english. Either way somethings can be lost in translation.

3. HappySachs

HappySachs Regular Member

wow

She's lost 5kg? :eek::eek: That's almost a stone, that's gotta be around 10% of her bodyweight. :eek:

I doubt she had much fat on her to begin with so I guess she's shed a lot of muscle mass. From the little I've seen of her that's probably not a bad thing as she did seem a fraction muscley and seemed to lack a little 'springyness' :D.

To make such a big change is courageous so I really really hope it works out for her. :)

4. rajat_remar

rajat_remar Regular Member

I think she says what she is told to say by her agents and managers as many of her statements are contrasting. Sometimes she says she can beat anyone sometimes she says every player is difficult to beat sometimes she says a particular player is not tough to beat.

5. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

Xiao Jia Chen  -  Saina Nehwal [5] 21-13*21-16

poor LYB, must be scared his pants off now.

how can he sleep!

6. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    I keep practicing because sometimes I forget my strokes: Saina

[​IMG]
    Saina Nehwal said she is desperate to clinch the India Open as it is the only Super Series title she can claim on home turf. (AP Photo)
    PTI | Apr 23, 2012, 04.22PM IST

NEW DELHI: Saina Nehwal is sweating it out a bit more in practice ahead of the Yonex Sunrise India Open because the ace Indian shuttler says she sometimes forgets her strokes.

"I forget the strokes sometimes and so I have to keep practicing them. Unfortunately I am not very good with the wrist like many other talented players so I have to train harder," said the two-time Indonesian Open champion, who was sharpening her strokes under the watchful eyes of mentor and national coach Pullela Gopichand at the Siri Fort Complex on Monday.

Saina said she is desperate to clinch the India Open as it is the only Super Series title she can claim on home turf and winning here would help her get in the groove for the London Olympics in July.

Already assured of an Olympic berth, Saina is back at the venue where she had won the Commonwealth Games gold medal in 2010 and the Indian said she is confident of doing well in the tournament which starts with the qualifiers on Tuesday.

"India open is a special tournament. It is the same venue where I had won the Commonwealth Games gold and have good memories and I want to win a Super Series here. It is a very important tournament for me and I am confident of doing well here," Saina told reporters after a gruelling two-hour practice session on Monday.

"It would be tough because many top players playing here will also be playing in Olympics and I want to perform well here so that I can do well at the next two tournaments in Indonesia and Singapore before the Olympics," she added.

Asked about the draw, Saina said: "It is a good draw, Tine Baun is there in the quarters. Even the Chinese I had lost against in ABC will also play in the qualifiers here but I am confident."

The 22-year-old said she has been playing well since December last year and the Chinese are scared of her now.

"Last year, I lost in the first round. I'd taken a month's rest after my ankle injury and couldn't recover in time. But right now, I am in good form, I am playing well and there is nothing to change in my game," she said.

"I lost to Chen (Xiao Jia) in ABC but that was because I was not ready for her and also some line calls went against me. She played really well and have been defeating top players consistently but she didn't play in the Super Series but this time, I realised she is a good player.

"But I've been playing well since last six months and except for 3-4 Chinese, I have defeated the rest regularly. They are scared to play against me. However, to beat those top players, I need to train more. I've got enough time and Gopi Sir (Pullela Gopichand) has something in his mind regarding the training," she added.

Talking about the Chinese, Saina said: "If China has 6-7 players in a tournament, they become confident but for other countries it is just one player, so it is tough.

"I beat Shixian Wang consistently. I've played against Yihan Wang in January last and don't know how her game is now. Xuerui Li too is an attacking player and is in good form. She won the ABC last week. I will find out how much I have improved when I come across them."

Saina said she has to tread her path carefully and come up with some strategy to stay ahead of the Chinese during Indonesia and Singapore.

"China has so many in support staff. All their coaches are winners of some Super Series or Olympic medallist or All England champions and so they come with a new strategy everytime they play me and I have to find out a new strategy to be a step ahead of them," she said.

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

[TABLE="class: ruler"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD="align: right"]Youn Joo Bae[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Saina Nehwal [3][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-19 21-10[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

congratulations, only lost in the second round this time.
    great improvement, you're really going places.

8. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I cant wait what she has to say to the media about her defeat..More excuses or whining this time about Bae Younjoo's oncourt tactics..

9. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

as a guess;

" Ï'm having a bad day and lost to a better player and well deserved winner. "

10. laonong

laonong Regular Member

Saina's talke may sounds arrogant to people from East Asian countries but could be

acceptable in other countries. It may just show her confidence. Anyway Chinese players do not understand English so what her said in media does not affect Chinese players.

#710 laonong, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012
  11. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Saina bows out of Indian Open
    Friday 27th April 2012
    By Shrikant Shankar

http://www.espnstar.com/other-sport...ail/item792721/Saina-bows-out-of-Indian-Open/

Excerpts:

Saina Nehwal cut a disappointing figure as she lost to South Korea’s Youn Joo Bae, 21-19 21-10 in the second round of the Indian Open Super Series badminton championships on Thursday. Saina, along with the gathered Indian crowd, was stunned by the quick counter-attacking game of Youn Bae.

Saina was clearly upset as she met the media after the match. “My game wasn’t good today (Thursday). I did not play well,” said Saina as she left in a huff at the Siri Fort Sports Complex on Thursday. This follows last year’s disappointment as she bowed out in the first round in 2011.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    India Open shocker: Saina capitulates in quick time
    Apr 26 2012
    Dev Sukumar

http://www.sportskeeda.com/2012/04/26/india-open-shocker-saina-capitulates-in-quick-time/

World No.5 Saina Nehwal was left speechless and in tears at her own inexplicable capitulation in the second round of the India Open Superseries – a result that left the large crowd stunned and the event bereft of its biggest draw.

Nehwal, aiming to reclaim the India Open that she won in 2010 and seeking another big title win in the run-up to the Olympics, was stumped as much by her opponent Bae Youn Joo as by her own inability to overcome the loss of the first game. Saina fell 21-19 21-10.

Saina’s loss spoilt what was otherwise a dream day for India, with compatriots PV SIndhu, P Kashyap, and the doubles teams of Rupesh-Sanave and Jwala-Ashwini entering the third round.

The world No.5 looked in daunting touch early on in the game as she used her heavy smashes to force Bae on the defensive. For much of the game, Saina looked in control, and at 14-10, seemed to have a healthy lead, but a few errors began creeping in from time to time, and that allowed Bae to stay within striking distance. The Korean too played some delectable shots, using her left-handedness to great advantage. Saina had the advantage at 18-16, but overplayed some shots and suddenly the Korean had gone a game up.

Saina has fought back from such situations earlier, but this was a different day. She seemed to go completely blank in the second game. What made it strange was the lack of a fight, and that was so uncharacteristic of what we’ve come to see of Saina.

“I have nothing to say, sorry,” said the tearful 23-year-old, no doubt utterly destroyed by the prospect of going out so early in front of her home crowd.

13. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    Probably its a tact to avoid playing any of the Chinese before the Olympics. It would be interesting to see how PV Sindhu deals with her next Chinese opponent.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  15. huangtaiji

huangtaiji Regular Member

student
    She should talk less and win more...that's the way to be a world champion

16. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

She wants to do well so badly that she came across by being arrogant... she has to learn that you should not feed the expectations from the media by making bolder statements. You will just put unnecessary pressure on yourself.

17. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    Time for some damage control on her side.

Normally she will do well during SO and IO. Hopefully she can bring it to OG. ;)

18. huangtaiji

student
    I notice quite a lot people particularly from East Asian do not like her at all...is because of her arrogance exhibited to press.

I came across a Korean fan from Seoul dropping a comment at one of the Indian website saying, ''she just talk too much"

19. huangtaiji

student
    She does have to listen to a lot of nasty things...

Korean (Seoul, S. Korea)
    4 hrs ago (10:05 AM)
    Like most if not all, indians, this lady talks so big and so much, that she gets lost in her daydreaming weaven by herself.

Vinay (Bangalore)
    1 hr ago (01:24 PM)
    Saina should be more carfeul when she makes statements like "I don't have a player of my level to practise with...". From this defeat it looks like she could do with more time on the courts than interactions with the press... save the onliners for later miss!

20. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    I want to see what she is going to comment later before the Singapore and Indonesian Open

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.