split drop - stomp?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by amleto, May 7, 2012.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Just had a bit of coaching on this and hoping that there are alternatives to what this coach suggested because it doesn't go too well with an old injury of mine...

He suggested that in a split drop where e.g. you want to move left, your right foot should stomp on the court to get you moving fast to the left. ie contracting the muscles quite early so your foot hits the court at relatively high speed (and making a fair bit more noise).

This is different to what I have been doing - more like waiting for contact on the court then trying to push off against it.

What are your learning experiences and practices in this area?

I'm hoping that the stomp method isn't significantly better for court coverage because it causes me pain and inflammation!

2. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    I don't think I've ever stomped on court. Maybe your coach is trying to get you to over exaggerate a part of the movement. I would say something to your coach about it if its hurting. You should be pushing off though.

3. danstryder

danstryder Regular Member

I doubt actually stomping on the ground is the desired effect - probably what is intended is to get you to start absorbing the energy from landing, and moving off, faster.

The point of the split drop is to stretch and load your muscles and tendons with the energy from dropping, so if you're already stomping before you land, that seems to defeat the purpose of split dropping

4. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I dont understand - you cant 'stomp' before landing.

He was suggesting that there should be an audible thump made by foot moving at 'high speed' into the court.

5. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    The jump / split should only be as much as you ahve the strength for, and while you can "hear" the push off you shouldn't stamp. Also be careful with volume, if you suddenly start pushing off hard multiple sessions injuries and even shin splints are possible

6. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Check out coach Lee Jae Bok coachingbadminton on you tube. There's some good stuff on footwork and the split ready movement.

7. amleto

amleto Regular Member

seen it but I dont think that it addresses my point explicitly enough

In fact, the students seem to have very soft split step.

#7 amleto, May 8, 2012
    Last edited: May 8, 2012
  8. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Have you watched matches with pro's to see what they do? Or the bwf coaching section. None of them are stomping.

#8 diverdan, May 8, 2012
  9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

yeah, I've seen lots of youtube vids. I don't think it's easy to tell if they are or aren't

10. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Look into "reactive power" ...

11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D ...

I don't know if it's the going term in english but copied it off:

"Reactive power is the ability to generate the force of jumping immediately following a landing (hence "reactive"). This kind of power is necessary in the martial arts, wrestling, and boxing and for quick changes in direction, as in football, soccer, basketball, lacrosse, and tennis. The force needed for a reactive jump depends on the height of the jump and the athlete's body weight and leg power. Reactive jumps require a force equal to 6 to 8 times body weight. Reactive jumps from a platform of 1 meter (3.3 feet) require a reactive force of 8 to 10 times body weight."
    http://www.coachr.org/strength_muscular_endurance_and_power_in_sports.htm

And learned of it myself as a term at track & field practice
    "reactive push off" "staying tall"

This simple question transformed into a bigger conversation about the importance of teaching good sprint mechanics in the maximum velocity and deceleration phases of a race. While sprinting I ask the athletes to become a “straight stick”. Sprinters who “stay tall” while sprinting gets all of the force back that they put into the track. Athletes who collapse at the ankles, knees, or hip lose a lot of the force that they put into the track. I tell these athletes they suffer from being a “broken stick”

In any case like diverdan mentioned, I think he was exaggerating. You lose way too much momentum by actually stomping. Of course when you're strying to stick land that triple flip hayakiri sakuraba jump off the pegasus, stomping will stop you dead in your tracks :D.

#12 demolidor, May 8, 2012
  12. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Seriously mate. Do some of your own research. If you had typed in reactive power badminton you would have found it. Im signing off this thread!

13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

actually, I did...

Capture.jpg

and I would say those results are none the more helpful either.

14. amleto

amleto Regular Member

thanks demolidor.

That is just the underpinning for 'the split drop'.

Your link wont load for me so I'm not sure if it explains when is an/the optimal time to accelerate the muscle contraction. This coach in question would seem to advise quite early on whilst the foot is off the floor - this wont be 'reactive' if I understand correctly since the muscle cant be loaded whilst you are in the air/mid split.

15. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

You can actually sort of pre-tension your muscles in mid-air. Let me get back when I find a brilliant article ;)

In the meanwhile you can check out this vid, particularly from around the 7min. mark (and contrary to my understanding of a stomp, a stomp being completely flatfooted, it is key to land on the balls of your feet and not flat-footed)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m2PZ535BO8&feature=related

16. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Maybe I used stomp incorrectly then. I used it only to signify the difference in noise made at contact time. The initial contact point and force 'footprint' is the same in my normal way, and coach's suggested stomp - loading through balls of the feet

and nice vid - that is a lot more like what my coach was suggesting.

#17 amleto, May 8, 2012
  17. alexh

alexh Regular Member

There's a logical problem here.

The whole point of the split drop is that at the beginning of the movement you don't know what direction you're going to move off. The split drop is meant to prepare your muscles for movement in any direction. If you know for sure that you'll be going left, then you shouldn't plan to stomp with your right foot, you should just go left without doing the split drop first. (Of course this shouldn't happen too often against a good opponent.)

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    That's very interesting technique and quite different to what I was taught about balance.

For the video, keep a close eye on the person pelvis. For his split step, he pushes the feet into the floor. Then when moving to the side, his pelvis makes a straight diagonal direction downwards at the same time.

The way I was taught (from a Chinese international player), was when the split step occurs, the pelvis also sinks vertically down, collapse the leg that is on the side of the shuttle is going and then push out to the side with the pelvis moving sidewards horizontally. No need to actively push the feet into the ground.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Jo-iowuFxU