Scenario : If my stringer broke my racket

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Jason123, May 5, 2012.

1. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

What would the stringer do if he broke my racket?
    • My racket recommended string tension is 17-22.lbs (NS2000)
    • His stringing machine is very old, its the type where you have to set it to the tension then wind it to get to the tension
    • I asked him how long it takes him to do one racket and he says 20-30 mins
    • I asked him how many rackets he's done and he said hundreds
    Scenario 1 - He strung my racket before at 25lbs, the string broke so i ask him to string again at same tension but this time it broke - what would he do about it?

Scenario 2 - He broke my racket stringing it within the recommended string tension what would he do about it?

Scenario 3 - He strung the racket at 25lbs, and I came in to collect the racket and he usually taps the strings on his wrists and listens to the sound and the racket collapses in front of me - what would he do about it?

I know these may be a little unrealistic but if it did happen would be compensate me or anything?

2. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Sir, you apparently have read and not understood this FAQ. The definition of "recommended" is right at the top.

• Scenario 1 - He strung my racket before at 25lbs, the string broke so i ask him to string again at same tension but this time it broke - what would he do about it?
    [/quote]
    Please explain this more clearly.

Most stringers will simply just apologise. Some will point out their suspicion on the condition of the racquet. Did you ask him (truthfully) how many out of the hundreds of racquets he has strung has he ever broken?

This will only happen in your most paranoid nightmare. Way too unrealistic for real world physics :D

3. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I understand your FAQ and I have read it , Im just letting you know about my racket

Scenario 1 - He strung my racket before at 25lbs, the string broke so i ask him to string again at same tension but this time it broke - what would he do about it

Hes strung my racket before at 25lbs, after a few months of playing the string snaps so i ask him to restring at 25lbs again but this time the racket breaks

He has a 2 point mount

4. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

So basically what you are saying is the stringer would do nothing at all if he breaks my racket? that kinda sucks

5. _Rav_

_Rav_ Regular Member

Gofer
    why don't you ask your stringer what he would do if he broke it?

6. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

What would you do if u broke someones racket

7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    I would be hesistant about stringing a racket at 25lbs on a two point. If the string breaks during stringing it is normally because the grommets need replacing and the frame is cutting the string. It is very rare.

8. chriz

chriz Regular Member

Student
    just to let you know, at lot of racquet can handle up to 26lbs at minimum. but, if it is over 26, then they will simply ask you if you are sure that you want such high tension. in most cases, they may say " i will string it for you, but not responsible for any damage" or " i won't do it, because i know your racquet cannot handle it"

9. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    Getting a few months out of a set of strings before one snaps with strings at 25lbs is pretty good going. Mine normally last 2 months absolute max.I would think about finding a stringer who has a 6 point machine if you want to string a racket recommended for 22lbs.

10. Jason123

Jason123 Regular Member

I think my stringer has mastered the 2 point machine, Hes done my friends racket upto 27-28lbs

He says hes broke rackets in his very early years but not anymore

11. diverdan

diverdan Regular Member

graduate
    If you want to string your racket to 26lbs then to reduce the deformation of the racket head on a racket that has a max recommended of 22lbs it is best to use a 6 point machine. It will reduce the chance of the racket breaking as there will be even tension all around the racket head. If you are happy for your racket to be strung by your stringer then go for it. What racket has your friend got? If its similar to yours then you probably won't have a problem.

12. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Stringer and customers should have the "trust" in between them, before a transaction going to take place. Sure, un-experienced and/or careless stringers do contribute to the risk of racket breakage, but there are also a lot of other factors involved, such as racket's condition, or players' usage. If a racket is broken, simply pointing your finger to the last stringer, who put his/her hand on it, it's simply not fair. It's like if I bring my 15 years old junk car to the shop, somehow it did not survive, should I demand the shop to pay for it? If that's the case, no one needs any warranty any more, we can all simply blame the last stringer, technician, doctor, or whatever.

When I string rackets for ppl I do not know very well, I usually let them know the risk if they ask for ultra high tension. If they feel comfortable, I will do it. If they do not, they have all their choices to look for another stringer. For all these years, I was very lucky did not break any rackets yet. However, even if I did, I do not think I am entitled to pay for a well-beaten, while trying to survive ultra high tension racket.

Again, there should be trust in between the 2, but not just a poker-faced lawyer type of treatment. In addition, a well made 2 point machine should be able to handle 25+ tension, if the stringer knows what s/he is doing.