Men's Doubles, end of a golden era after Olympics 2012?

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by hanser, Apr 30, 2012.

1. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

Rian/Angga has beaten Jung Jae Sung/Lee Yong Dae in 3 games at the second round of the Indonesian Super Series Premier.

2. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    you're right, thanks for the update, the match can be watched here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r42NR3LqLQg, in fact, they met again in the french open, but this time they lost though. for the record, they also played against Fu/Cai once on 2010 Japan open.

3. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Chai Biao will stick to his current partner GZD.

Wait till you see Zhang Nan pairs up with Fu Haifeng when Cai Yun calls it quit.

4. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

end of an era = YES
    vacuum = NO

5. event

event Regular Member

I agree.
    As for Boe being 32, that's true, but remember that Rasmussen is still playing at 34, Paaske retired in 2010 at 34 and Eriksen and Lungaard Hansen played the Olympics in 2008 at 38 and 35 respectively.

If Jonas were to retire, I wouldn't know where the next #2 Danish pair would come from but I'm sure they have a pile of late bloomers in waiting and even a pair who came out ahead of the Malaysians, Indonesians, and Koreans at this year's German Junior. The last time that happened, we ended up with Viktor Axelsen.

I wouldn't worry about Korea. Their biggest problem will be who to relegate to the #3 pair who can't make the top 8 for Rio. In addition to the 5 top guys who won't retire in August, you have Kang Ji Wook, Shin Baek Cheol, and Cho Gun Woo, if the last two can stay injury-free.

Jongjit and Issara, definitely. Indonesia already has two young enough pairs in the top 20, in addition to the aging veterans. As for China, Hong and Shen are already in the top echelon. Chai and Guo need more consistency but they're still so dangerous. Fu might get a new partner. Who knows?

The era will still end without Cai, Jung, Kido, and possibly Koo. No less exciting. In fact more variety would be more interesting. Although MD titles seem to be spread out among nations better than the other four disciplines, those 3 top pairs still seem to dominate so without them, will Boe/Mogensen be undisputed? Probably not. Those younger pairs will likely rise to that challenge.

#25 event, May 4, 2012
    Last edited: May 4, 2012
  6. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    most of european reach their peak level very late

7. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Hong Wei has the agility, he just need to learn from CY on how to utilize his agility well. I think he will make a good match with FHF. However as a result, CBA might need to find another partner for Shen Ye.

8. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    Agrippina Prima Rahmanto Putra, son of Sigit Pamungkas (Kido/Hendra's coach), is a natural talent to watch from Indonesia.

If he get a good smasher partner, then i think he will entertain MD fans ;)

dont forget Ow Yao Han whom i adore so much ;)

other talents have been mentioned like Jongjit/Bodin, Rian/Angga, Nelson/Teo, Hong Wei, Kang Ji Wook, Ricky/Ullin....

so many talents around the world....

9. fathonezic

fathonezic Regular Member

Consultant
    only 2 games, not 3... :)
    rian/angga defeated jung/lee 21-17 21-17 at that time

10. Renmazuo27

Renmazuo27 Regular Member

I reckon LYD will partner Ko Sung Hyung as they have already paired in a few tournaments and won...

11. event

event Regular Member

Lucky for them that Cai Yun is retiring, then. Obviously, I am only joking here but it is true that the only Korean pairs who have ever beaten Cai/Fu have had at least one partner from Yoo's high school. In other words, Yoo Yeon Seong, Jung Jae Sung, Ha Tae Kwon, and Kim Dong Moon. So Lee Yong Dae, Lee Jae Jin, Lee Dong Soo, Ko Sung Hyun, and Yoo Yong Sung have all beaten Cai/Fu, but only when partnered with one of those other four.

12. Prinztiyo2012

Prinztiyo2012 New Member

typist
    Angga Pratama & Ryan Agung Saputro has been my great expectation since the end of Markis & Hendra's prime. These boys are promising.

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Kind of a strange statistic when LYD has had only 1 partner against the Chinese....and he was the deciding factor against them, not Jung. A lot of world class players can smash consistently, but no one but LYD can stand up to CY at the net (Koo and Setiawan could, but have dropped since then).

Anyway, I think Shen Ye is a far better match for Fu as he's the more net-oriented and agile of the HW/SY-pairing.

14. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

You're assuming all JJS does is smash.
    Show me a player whose stop-drop's as good as JJS, for example.

15. s3160717

s3160717 Regular Member

Fu with Ma Jin is good?

16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

No, I know it's not all about smashing, but that is his main purpose. He has a very, very solid defense as well, and his stop-drops are amazing, but there are quite a few other players who are able to provide the necessary fire power to put opponents under pressure and involve LYD at the net. Ko would be an example, and he has other traits to set him apart from JJS - he gets way better angles, for example (the result of being nearly 20cm taller and jumping at least as high as JJS). The special player in that partnership is, without doubt, LYD, as he has the ability to read the game at the front and win the attack for his partner.
    Same with the FHF/CY pairing - FHF is the best smasher in the world, but without a net player to set him up, he'd be worthless. And CY is without question one of the best in the world in that regard.

Anyhow, not saying that Jung is anything short of world class, but LYD is the outstanding player of the two. Regardless who he'll be partnered with, I'm sure his pairing will be the one to look out for after 2012. With CY/FHF likely retiring, there'll be no one else able to match him at the net.
    If they play their cards right, Korea could get 3 MD pairs in the Top10 in 2013 - Kim/Kim have shown a lot of potential, and provided Lee really partners up with Ko, Yoo will need a new partner - and they have quite a few to choose from. Cho, Kwon, Shin all show quite a bit of talent. :)

17. hanser

hanser Regular Member

mgr
    For all the skills of LYD, he could not have been able to showcase his talent or quality without a super steady partner like JJS. They would not have been world beaters if JJS is as insignificant as you say...

18. JukUx

JukUx Regular Member

Idunno... I don't think LYD/KO combination is that good considering the chemistry that YOO has with KO Not just that, but as the world rankings are, I wouldn't break up a pair that's worked so hard to get up there. I think they'll either find someone for him or they'll just make LYD focus on playing XD rather then MD.

19. NanoBatien

NanoBatien Regular Member

Nobody is suggesting that JJS is useless. Just that LYD is more irreplaceable than JJS.

The net guy has always been the deciding factor in seperating the top from the not-so-top MD pairings. As jackie pointed out, at world class level it is not that hard to get a decent fast-running smasher. The problem has been to find someone with the super fast wits and touch to do the front stuff. As ive suggested before, the front net stuff is a bit of a niche job so a normal badminton development program (playing all 3 types of games) doesnt really select these people as well as it does the other positions.

For example Tony Gunawan won his world champs with Howard Bach. Before that, Howard Bach was effectively a nobody, but then paired with probably the best netman in the world, the pairing suddenly became useful, even against pairings where both players were world class.

Anyway, we can see soon with LYD's new partner.

Its kind of interesting that when a MD player goes to play XD its usually the front guy (Setiawan, LYD). Maybe because in XD its quite positional rather than pure speed, and the front guy is more used to that kind of stuff? The slightly weaker smash frequency and power is ok against the girls.

20. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Agreed , JJS is irreplaceable as much as LYD , not only his backcourt play that JJS can offer , but the defensive ability, awareness of the game, positioning sense , and if required his net play and return of serve are up there with the best.