Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    Cant be a crack sound as that would be from the bone itself.

Could be from the shoe when he slipped.

Anyway we will know very soon :eek:

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Very sad. Very unfortunate. :(

But on the bright side, this will keep him out of other tournaments and he and his team can focus on rehab and strength-building. And he will have more time for analysis and strategizing. Hopefully he can add a couple of lbs to his frame as well! :D

If he and his team use this time given to them wisely, it may even be a blessing in disguise!

3. racquetor

racquetor Regular Member

racquetor
    LCW torn his right ankle tendons and it is definitely a big blow to his preparation for the Olympic in August. With 3 months left before the Olympic games, the injury will surely affect LCW's form even though he can fully recover in time. Typical ankle tendon tear will need 4-5 weeks of recuperation, then another 2 to 3 weeks of low intensity training with rehab, by the time he fully recover, his chances for Olympic is uncertain. There is always a fear (pain, performance, confidence) after recovering from an injury and hopefully CW will be strong enough to overcome this.

#7963 racquetor, May 22, 2012
    Last edited: May 22, 2012
  4. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
  5. sarath_031

sarath_031 Regular Member

Student
    Man, i was hoping that he would recover completely from the shoulder injury and prepare well for the olympics. This is really sad. Hope he will get soon and use his full potential in the olympics.

6. Footwork_816

Footwork_816 Regular Member

Are you speculating or do you know for sure that he tore his tendons? if he tore his tendons thats going to take wayyy longer to heal than just a twist or sprain...

7. fauci

fauci Regular Member

maybe LCW has really over-trained

8. Miqilin7

Miqilin7 Regular Member

Student
    Lin Dan must be like: Haiz, dont feel like winning already since Lee Chong Wei is injured...my victory is hollow

9. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Is it just me or is the medical staff not doing a very good job?
    1. You have magic medical spray man, having LCW hop on an obvious serious injury, with no assistance.
    2. Next I see LCW on the ground for the duration of the MD1 match, why isn't he instantly rushed to the hospital.
    3. Did no one hear about R.I.C.E. (Rise, Ice, Compress, Elevate), I saw LCW on sitting on the floor and no ice being applied or his ankle being wrapped or it being elevated, which I remember will lessen the swelling.

10. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

Will be good for LD if LCW withdraws from OG12.

11. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

if Lin Dan want gold medal for a second time so badly, then he must not walkover Chen Jin and Chen Long as they also want gold metal real real bad...

12. pejantan

pejantan Regular Member

yes...i ve heard that too....first my left ankle when play soccer 9 years ago and then my right ankle 3 years ago when play badminton...and they never get recovered 100%.

13. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    As always, thanks for your prompt service.

It's a good thing LCW was not doing a jump smash, otherwise the force of the landing would be even harsher and detrimental to his recovery.

I have full confidence in his recovery.

I have faith LCW will rise to the occasion again.

Yours truly had also experienced such an ankle twist before. I was moving forward to retrieve a sharp drop when I twisted my ankle due to slippery sweat on the floor. I also heard a crack from my foot. I sat there for a few minutes, my colleagues helped me up and I had to limp away. It was a harrowing experience indeed. I thought I would forever walk with a limp like Dr House (any of you guys watch?). I needed to rest for a month. Now I have fully recovered.

So have faith in LCW. All will be well again. What with their latest innovative sports technology and I had none to begin with. Low light and pulsing infra red technology does wonders now, I heard.

#7973 Pakito, May 22, 2012
  14. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Yesterday when Dato' was having his match against PG, i was giving a badminton lesson with my student and it was not a meeting that interest me the most since on current performance and past history of meeting between them, obviously Dato' will win ( sorry PG fans :D....however, PG is still one of my favorite player). Its between Darren and Jogersen that i was looking forward to see.

Suddenly i received many miss call from my colleagues in MSN and they told me Dato' suffered a bad ankle injury and that was enough to stop me from continuing my badminton lesson immediately (sorry my student:D....today i will replace yesterday session). I was concern the nature of his injury and luckily i recorded the match with my Astro Max and played repeatedly the scene how he injured his right ankle by landing awkwardly uncountable times and observed closely the nature of his swelling right ankle after the fall.

After looking into it and i sat down on my couch and i remembered that 2 years ago, one of my talented student suffered the same exact injury while participating in a state level tournament......and also the same exact injury that i suffered twice ~ 9 and ~ 5 years ago. I'm not against any fact published here in the local newspaper:

http://thestar.com.my/sports/story.asp?file=/2012/5/23/sports/11343632&sec=sports

...however IMHO, until a second scan comes for another concrete diagnosis, as far as from looking into it uncountable times and from my experience, Dato' has likely has tear his right ankle Talofibular ligament and Calcaneofibular ligament.....and its likely to be a grade 2 inversion lateral right ankle sprain.

My pray for speedy recovery is all for him and despite what mention in the news that he will be out for 3 - 4 weeks, i can tell you that if it is as what i think then, when you have a grade 2 or grade 3 (hopefully not) ankle sprain, healing the injured ligaments is one issue while making the ankle functionally fit and stable is another issue. From my experienced of a grade 2 ankle sprain, while under MSN guidance with the help of their medical and physiotherapist, healing it self will take roughly anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks and to restore ankle stability and proprioception again will take anywhere from 4 - 6 weeks.

Since the Olympics will start end of this July which the MS will sart kicking on the 28th if i'm not mistaken, therefore he has roughly around 65 days before the big event starts. If he's out for 3 -4 weeks as what the news said, therefore he will be on treatment to heal his injury for 30 days leaving another 35 days to be fully fit. It's going to be a very close window period for our Dato' and he needs all the Malaysian pray to support for his quick recovery.

I PRAY THAT DATO' WILL RECOVER QUICKLY AND FIT TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS YEAR OLYMPIC AND WIN A GOLD MEDAL FOR MALAYSIA.

15. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lee's Olympic gold dream in a twist

TODAY

by Philip Goh
    04:46 AM May 23, 2012

SINGAPORE - Malaysia's hopes of winning their first Olympic gold medal took a big hit yesterday when badminton world No 1 Lee Chong Wei limped out of his match against Denmark's Peter Hoeg Gade at the ongoing Thomas Cup finals in Wuhan.

The 29-year-old left the court in tears after landing awkwardly only five minutes into his Group match with Gade. Malaysia's national news agency Bernama reported that Lee twisted his ankle and was taken away in a wheelchair for treatment, accompanied by coach Teh Seu Bock.

Speaking to Today from Wuhan, Kenny Goh, general manager of the Badminton Association of Malaysia, said: "Chong Wei's ankle is swollen and we're sending him back to Kuala Lumpur on the first available flight."

Lee came second to arch-rival Lin Dan in the men's singles final at the Beijing Games in 2008 and has long been regarded as Malaysia's best bet to break their Olympic gold medal duck.

But his lead-up to the London Games has been plagued with injury and uncertain form. In the All-England final in March, Lee withdrew with a shoulder strain while trailing Lin 1-0 in the final. Last month, he lost the Indian Open final to unseeded South Korean Shon Wan Ho.

Lee has already stated that he will retire following the London Games that starts on July 27.

Malaysia's national singles head coach, Rashid Sidek, confirmed Lee will take no more part in the Thomas Cup.

"His ankle is so swollen. He needs further checks to see the depth of the injury," Rashid told reporters in Wuhan.

"He was crying and was so emotional. He must have been thinking about the Olympic Games too. For now, all he needs is some rest and time to regain his confidence."

"We want him to have enough rest before the Olympic Games in London." PHILIP GOH

#7975 Loh, May 22, 2012
  16. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    A sense of Duty

Cancelling your lessons because you are anxious the see the video of LCW's injury goes to show just how supportive you are of :-

a) LCW
    b) Malaysian Badminton
    c) both

Pick one. :D

17. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Good old daddy of badminton consoling the world no. 1.

18. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Hmmmm:rolleyes:.......this is a tough one.....i'll go for c:D

19. Pakito

Pakito Regular Member

service consultant
    Yes I felt the same way also. The dr was more of a shrink than a sport's physician.

20. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

What a bad day for our olympic dreams. What I had feared has come to pass. LCW has been shouldering all the hopes of the nation on his tiny frame for a good half a decade. Tournament after tournament he had given his best 100% sometimes even 110%. Being No.1 for almost one whole Olympiad.

Something got to give and as he grows older, the body reacts to the punishment he has put himself through season after season, tournament after tournament.

Forget about the Olympics. This kind of injury is a career destroying one. Even if he heals in time, his movement henceforth would be affected. He would have to change his game to cater for the injury and it would take about a year or so for someone at that age to reach at least 90% of what he once was and he wouldnt be able to give us the 100% in every tournament.

From henceforth there would be tournaments he could win, but be prepared he could lose even in the opening rounds.

I am so sad the LCW's era has come to an end before even he could get a last shot at glory.

The silver lining is that BAM would have to look at the back up and develop them.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES LCW FOR GIVING US SUCH FANTASTIC BADMINTON OVER THE YEARS.

LD may make us open our mouths in awe of his power, But LCW gave us many Da vinci and Michaelangelo moments in Badminton.

#7980 sonnymak, May 22, 2012