Should I be in a class with 12 year olds?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by CkcJsm, May 30, 2012.

1. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Hello,
    So there is a place where the schedule is fitted towards me and since I am now 21 and a college student, work I can only play twice a week at the most. The class I can qualify in is with 10-12 year olds; which is something I do not want to do and I find it embarrassing. But I do want to improve for fun. The class I wanted to be in only takes students who are in high school and have been in there classes for at least 3 months. What do you suggest?

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I would think the answer would be no. You are an adult, not a kid. Even though you think it's not a big deal, someone else (like a parent) might. And while you may have the same skill set as the children, you most certainly would overpower them with your physique (faster & stronger).

3. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

^ I actually believe my skill level isn't around there; just they can't accept me. But I never seen those kids play so I have no idea. But the class I wanted to be in; I think I can be arouud the same skill level. I mean I am assuming they are around the same skill level for the class they said they can accept me in.

#3 CkcJsm, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    depends on the level.

the other day i split games 1-1 with a 12 yrs old girl in singles. she does play for the country, but you know what i mean...

5. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

Which 12 year old was this?

6. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    age barely matters in competitive sports.
    If you join a group of 12 year olds and they are all capable of destroying you, consider yourself VERY lucky to be learning with the elites. Whereas if they're all at a lower level, then you should consider getting bumped to another session. Lastly, if you're around their level, then use it as motivation to train hard because if a 12yo overtakes you in training, that's when you need to be embarrassed.

7. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    I dont think the kids or the parent will feel comfortable with you joining that class and it is going to look weird , and if they are better than you , it will also be embarrassing for you as well . Get yourself some private lessons

8. Mario C socal

Mario C socal Regular Member

Just get private coaching or group coaching for people your age group. Where in California are you located? In Southern California, you should be able to find both private coaching and group coaching for adults of any age.

9. Mario C socal

Mario C socal Regular Member

If you're 21, the only time you should be in a class with 12 year olds is if you're starring in some Disney comedy. :p

10. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Thanks guys; but one thing I forgot to mention I look like a small high school girl, so I'm not sure about how much uncomfortableness can pass.
    And as I mentioned before the orginal class I wanted to be in I have beaten/played some kids in there too.

11. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Girl or guy makes no difference if a parent thinks you shouldn't be in a class that was designed for 10-12yr olds.

But I guess if the coach allows you to be in the class...then I guess it's OK. The least they could do is kick you out of the class. The worst they could do...I'll leave that up to your imagination.

12. CkcJsm

CkcJsm Regular Member

Oh thats true; I'm very sad I want to join something like elite team, but there are virtually no programs for me. At the most I can play is twice a week w/ one more day to play and back then I didn't drive and my parents didn't have money so I couldn't train as much.

I hate being old.
    The most I could do is adult class; but thats only once a week at the most.