Disputed call on Quarter Final - XD

Discussion in 'World Junior Championships 2004' started by jumpshot, Oct 29, 2004.

1. jumpshot

jumpshot Regular Member

Hello everyone,

What happen at the end between China (Shen and Feng) and Indonesia (Rizal and Polli). I think the Feng's racquet touched the net. I taped the game and watch it repeatedly but couldn't tell.

None-the-less, great win for the Indonesian pair. I'm rooting for them and above all Malaysian MD (Boon and Tan).

:eek: :eek: GO Malaysia GO :eek: :eek:

2. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    You taped it?? How would you like to encode it for everyone to see?

3. seven

seven New Member

Computing Engineer
    That would be great! :D

4. 604badder

604badder Member

Full time badminton fanatic, and student
    And you'll be our hero jumpshot!

5. jumpshot

jumpshot Regular Member

no hero please.

Unfortunately, mine is in 8-mm tape. Can someone show me how to transfer it to Divx? I'll look as well = takes time.

I started taping since Wed. Got about 10hrs and counting.

<part of>
    Azrihanif AZAHAR vs QC Lu
    Tommy SUGIARTO vs Jin Chen (man JC is an All-England'er)
    because their matches overlapped

Hoon & Tan vs Li & Cao

<Complete>
    WFChong last 2 matches
    Rizal & Polli beating Shen & Feng
    Rizal & Agung vs Shen & He (nail biter)

+ bunch of others.

6. SmashingBird

SmashingBird Regular Member

Student, Badminton-student
    RICHMOND BC...ne hot girls from richmond that play
    I want to know what happened too...there seem to be some arguements going on after the match and the chinese girl was crying after.

7. FKP23

FKP23 Regular Member

Did any of you guys see the call the umpire make in the Woman singles quarter final game when he awarded a point to Cheng when the shuttle from another court hit Jiang when she's retrieving a shot at the net? Is that the right call? She was in control of the rally and when she went to retrieve a shot at the net, a shuttle from the next court fly right into her face. She hesitated and she left her shot and tries to avoid the shuttle fromt the other court. I though it is an automatic let the moment it happened. I was quite surprised when the umpire called it against the chinese girl. It happened at a crucial point late in the third game when she was gaining the momentum back. Everybody was clapping and cheering when the umpire made that call. The Chinese completely lost it after that.

Overall it was a crazy day with nail biting games and controversies after controversies.

8. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i think the chinese coach should have intervened. Not only had a foreign object landed on the court side but actually interfering with the player. It's an automatic let. (just my opinion made from observation by other people)

9. viver

viver Regular Member

I did see the shuttle from the other court interfering with Jiang's play. Because of the distance I did not know what was the umpire decision as I could not recall who was serving. If the umpire awarded the point instead of let then it was a big error. The Chinese coach did come out to protest but was asked by the referee (I think) to return to the sit. Would like to know really what was the outcome there.

10. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    You're positive the other shuttle flew into her face? From where I was sitting, it just looked like the other shuttle landed in the alley just after the game shuttle already hit the floor. So from my perspective, it looked like the Chinese player tried to get a Let to retract the point she would have lost anyway. The rally had officially ended when the game shuttle hit the floor first... doesn't really matter that another shuttle landed on the court afterwards. Of course I could have totally seen it wrong and mixed the two shuttles up myself *LOL*. Obviously people see different things from their perspectives. In my opinion the Chinese girl had no momentum in the game. She was just getting her first points while Taipei already had a comfortable lead. Taipei clearly outclassed China. She's my favourite to win the WS gold.

11. FKP23

FKP23 Regular Member

I'm positive about it. The shuttle from the next court actually hit her. She was right there for the shot, there is no way that she wasn't able to get that shot.

I wouldn't say Taipei outclassed China. The Chinese girl is a highly skilled and deceptive player. The Chinese girl was totally out playing the Taipei girl from the start. She was chasing the Chinese girl's shot all day but the Chinese lack the finishing touch. The Chinese girl have the Taipei girl off balanced so often that the Taipei girl looked desperate. However when the Chinese do get the Taipei girl off balanced with week returns, she tries to finish the rallies with sliced drops and fast drops. If she could smash like the other Chinese players, she would win quite easily.

12. timeless

timeless Regular Member

Comp. Eng.
    I couldn't see that the shuttle actually hit her from where I was sitting. From my spot it looked like she got to the shuttles after the first one already landed, ie. late, but I guess I was mistaken. Guess I'll have to wait until the actual video playback to see what you saw! Good eyes. :cool:

Interesting though that you feel the Chinese girl wasn't outclassed, but the other way around. The Chinese girl was left absolutely floored on so many occasions by the experienced play of Taipei. The crowd was repeatedly *WOWed* by her. I didn't see the same dominance at all by the Chinese girl. It makes it more interesting that there can be so many different opinions even though we all saw the same thing. :) One thing for certain was that the match was definitely one of the best of the night!

13. FKP23

FKP23 Regular Member

I was so positive and could describe it with such detail because there was a guy beside me recording the match and he was doing instant replay right after that point. She was in position and for sure was able to retrieve the shuttle if she wasn't distracted.

Regarding the who outclass who opinion, I'm not going to go any further with it. It's unlike we will change our opinion on that. Some people where impressed with the Chinese player's skill and deception while other were impressed by the Taipei player's speed and effort.

14. viver

viver Regular Member

From what I recall, the shuttle from the next court flew in and should have interfered with the Chinese girl play. I remember the Chinese player was rushing to the net to return the shot when the shuttle from the next court struck her. :confused:

If the Chinese girl was dominating, well I do not think so. She may have better technique, as she was able to move the Taiwan player around but did not anticipate well her returns. She was caught many times by unexpected placements of the Taiwan player, and she did not/not able to finish the rallies when she should. You know, to win you must be able to finish the rally. At the end, the Taiwan player was a just winner in my opinion.

Today the Taiwan lady player CHENG Shao Chieh beat a Korean player rather easily. Tomorrow she will play another Chinese player Lu Lan who won against another Chinese player by walkover. I am leaning a bit more towards the Taiwan player to take the gold medal though but will root for the Chinese player.

15. panhandle

panhandle Regular Member

badminton/volleyball promoter
    OK, here's the inside scoop from talking to one of the referees...XD match the umpire called a fault on the female player for hitting the net...game over on that call!!! What he saw, sticks!!!

Bird from another court coming in is a let...only when the umpire calls it!! Otherwise it's still live play. Umpire didn't call a let, but decided to have a let anyways...so it was a reserve.

There was lots of coaching going on during play, and the referee had to sit next to the coaches to make sure they don't talk or give signals...otherwise they get thrown out!!

Had a chance to play badminton with the umpires this morning at Clear One for a few hours before the semi's started. Lots of fun!!

I lined the boys doubles match between Malaysia and Korea, didn't have to make one call. Boys singles between China and Korea....made 2 calls!!

Going to be lining 2 matches in the finals.