Why are the Women's doubles players not trying to win?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by Dr.Dino, Jul 31, 2012.

1. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

the irony of all this are those complaining really wants china to lose, but when china loses on purpose or not, they still complain cuz china has higher chances to get the gold. lolz.

2. kenjai7373

kenjai7373 Regular Member

as long as china keeps winning, there will be no growth which is actually not china's fault. people will get tired of china vs china finals. lolz.

3. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

how about KOREA & INDONESIA teams?..are they trying or not trying?..

4. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Defenders of CHN being called 'match fixers', 'cheaters' yadayada...
    So far we have
    V1Lau
    TwoBeer (even though he is missing in action in this thread)
    Kenjai7373
    otb...(err, okay count me in to keep V1Lau company:D)
    and who else...against the rest of the BC gang who accuse our great comrades:p

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    not try. all 4 pairs, one from China, two from Korea, and one from Indonesia.

6. UkPlayer

UkPlayer Regular Member

Academic
    badminton finally makes the headlines in the UK and it's for all the wrong reasons :rolleyes:

7. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I watched YY/WXL match against the KOR cuties, that match should be on U-Tube, the most laughable pro game played anywhere:D and YY/WXL tried their comical best to replay a missed serve or retrieve, looked up the lighting (okay, blame the Brits for that terrible lights design) and the CHN coaches actually came on at interval to 'coach', that is near Oscar performance...ROFLMAO:p
    I actually wonder what would Dr Kang (IOC boss) ask Miss Li Ling Wei who just joined IOC as a full member (Dr. Boss said Li is the best ambassador of badminton from CHN and Miss Li being CHN OLY council member and BWF council member), what Li think of the game;).
    I can guarantee and bet my 2 bucks Miss Li would agree with the gang of 4 (i.e. OTB, TwoBeer, V1Lau, Kenjai7373 and counting my recruits...) that CHN does not fix match, we win them cleanly:D and that WD match was just a bad day at the office;)

8. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

;)...just trying to question the title of this thread..

9. vching

vching Regular Member

Student
    Saw the match, what a disgrace for all teams involved.

If this happened in any other sport (ie: Tennis), the players would have been disqualified, fined, and banned for 'unsportsman-like behaviour'.

Then again, whats new? China has been doing this as far as I can remember, with walkovers and deliberate losses the norm when they meet each other.

Disqualify, fine, and ban them for a year, I say. What better arena to send a strong and clear message that these sort of cheap tactics will not be tolerated. They cheated the spectators of their tickets, making a farce of the sport, embarrassing badminton on a world stage, it also subtracts from the prestige of this tournament. It will always be remembered as an orchestrated dirty manipulation of the standings.

Swimming has Eric the Eel, swimming in the face of extreme adversity and challenge. Athletics has Luz Long, the German athlete who dared oppose Hitler right in front of him in the name of sportsmanship and the Olympic spirit. Sailing has Lawrence Lemeiux, who abandoned his second position, giving up his silver medal to save two sailors who capsized.

And badminton has Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang, Jung Kyung-eun and Kim Ha-na Ha, Jung-eun and Kim Min-jung, Meiliana Jauhari and Greysia Polii, who proved that in badminton, there is nothing as sinking too low in pursuit of a medal. Who proved that there is no an inch of sportsmanship in them. What a disgrace.

Shame on them.

10. danielwong

danielwong Regular Member

Salesman
  11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    Please read more carefully Onetoughbirdie, my original point is that BWF can't do anything, because the BWF's decision to use a group format without thinking it through, is basically what the caused this problem. Then Demolidor proposed they be DQ for breaking the Olympic oath, I disagreed because the language of the text is vague and open to interpretation and probably wouldn't holdup as a valid reason for DQ in my opinion.

I want everyone involved to be DQ'ed and suspended for at least 6months including the National Coaches, I hope that is clear enough for you COMRADE!

12. madbad

madbad Regular Member

I think he is posting in jest (although his delivery could be better)

13. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    His Delivery is fine, it's the accuracy that I have an objection to

14. HaoFung

HaoFung Regular Member

I dont even know why there's an argument on this... ofc the Chinese lost so they wouldnt face the other Chinese pair before the next round and if they didnt CORRECTLY doubt Korea's intention to do the same they wouldve just put a nice lil show like LD.

But who cares? I much rather see a pointless group match being throw than the semi-finals when both Chinese pairs meet.

15. visor

visor Regular Member

Just watched last half of game 2.

Pathetic. Disgraceful. :(

Unfortunately, those terms not only applies to the players (especially the CHN ones, as we know that they're more than capable of what they've displayed), but also to the coaches and the Olympic committee who came up with this playoff format.

Afterall the players are young and are in some way forced to listen to their coaches guidance, however wrong and disgraceful it may be. Can you imagine if you were the athlete who didn't obey and went against the plan? You would be punished severely and made an example of to the rest of the team ... back in the motherland after the games are over, of course.

Having said that, if I were the tournament referee reviewing this case, I'd definitely without a doubt fine or punish the loser of this match with disqualification. Why... because they were the ones who were succesful in achieving their plan. Viewing the match, you'd also see the more obvious unforced errors and acting when they made an error.

They're lucky I didn't attend the match, otherwise I'd have immediately gone out to buy shuttles and started throwing at them. :mad:

Pathetic. Disgraceful.

Addendum: If I were the KOR players, knowing that I was winning in the second game, I'd have gone all out to pound the cr@p and sh1t out of the CHN players! :p

#95 visor, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  16. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    opps.. it seems I posted on the other thread twice

here is the summary I get from Indonesian team point of view:

17. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

What's the problem, guys!? If there is anything wrong with it, it's the rules that were set by the BWF. They are to blame for this disaster, nobody else (like the time table changes etc. at the beginning of the olympics)

Professional athletes want to win. If chances to win are bigger by losing, then they'll choose to go this route. Everything else, I'd call unprofessional.

18. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    I hope both this China WD pair lost before medal round... they spoil the whole olympic

19. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    Group format is good to make sure players don't go all the way to London and only play 1 match and go home as long as only the top 1 player or team (instead of top 2) in each group can advance.

20. ViningWolff

ViningWolff Regular Member

Process Engineer
    All four teams should be turfed. Kwun has already seen my rant on facebook. I think Yongbo is prick who needs to be botch slapped.

Pathetic and a back eye for the sport. There is not an argument out there that will ever sway me from looking at this akin to CHEATING in the context of the Olympic games.