2012 London Olympics Day 4 (Tuesday 31st July)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Jul 30, 2012.

1. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    trust me they won't DQ them....at most fine them...that's the sad thing...they are not strict enough....they need big powerhouses like China to keep them in the game...that's why they continue breastfeeding them

2. rahuldarga

rahuldarga Regular Member

IT
    Even Chinese news agencies are shameless.... They try to protect and support their players....
    Good old Chinese political propaganda found its way in to the sports

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/724530.shtml

Excerpts:
    After the game, Yu told reporters at the mixed zone that they were facing the South Korean pair for the first time, who were "actually very strong."

"We will play a quarter-final tomorrow and we were conserving energy for that," she said.

"We wanted to give spectators a good match, but we are professional players and we need good results."

A source with the Chinese team told Xinhua that Yu injured her right knee while doing warmup before the game.

The source accused the South Korean duo of trying to lose the game in order to avoid an early meeting with the other Chinese pair, saying "the South Koreans didn't take the game seriosuly and they didn't do warmup at all before the game."

"It was the South Koreans who missed their serves first," the source said.

David Wakefield, a British spectator, said lackluster play was "unacceptable".
    "This is below international standard, even the training standard," he told Xinhua. "It is unfair for other players. If they were playing this way, players from Team GB would have chance to win."
    His friend Chris Wanless was dissatisfied with attitude of the players and curious to know the reason.
    "Was it because of too much pressure?" he asked. "I saw the referee talking with them. Maybe he was just telling them to ignore the crowd."
    "China is a kind nation with great sport spirit," said Wanless, an avid fan of 16-year-old Chinese swimmer Ye Shiwen, who won the women's 400m individual medley in a world record time on Saturday.
    "China should be an inspiration for the rest of the world," he said, noting that Chinese athletes should be "role models".
    In comparison, Chinese audience showed more understanding.
    A girl who declined to be named flew over from Beijing to watch badminton matches. She said she has bought tickets from the first round to the finals.
    "I noticed both sides were not in shape and I was kind of worried," she said. "Are they injured? I hope they are OK and I am looking forward to seeing them playing in the following days."

#1062 rahuldarga, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2012
  3. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Yea have to agree with you. I dont think BWF has the guts to DQ the no.1 pair. Maybe a hefty fine and a warning. Cant expect BWF to grow a back bone overnight. And the format was flawed anyway...

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    BWF won't DQ those 8 players. If the do, the whole CHN team may walk out.

But, hey, then LCW will have a chance to win gold, and CP/JF and SN and CJS/LYD and.....

5. crusher

crusher Regular Member

I am very disappointed there were no serious penalties for those players. I hope they will be disqualified (unlikely).
    The alternative punishment is to change the pairings and force them to play the pair that they were trying to avoid.

6. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    you have a point, but that's not the problem we have in badminton especially in the case of national teams match fixing which is what I was alluding to.

7. bakulaw

bakulaw Regular Member

excuses! bottomline.. they wanted to lose without exiting the tourney.

BCer's are so disgusted with this display, nobody has bothered to start the thread for the QF yet.. hehehe...

8. Aikachan

Aikachan Regular Member

Freelance editor/Aspiring writer (someday) :)
    Really??...I gave up. Just axe badminton from Olympic and let squash join Rio 2016.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Looks more like a wallet to me.... *cough*:)

10. markchan

markchan Regular Member

11. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

I second this!:D...

12. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Honestly, my grandfather can play better badminton than them in that match. Felt sorry for the spectators present there though... A match that not worth the amount of money they paid...

13. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    I believe your opinion to my opinion is as valid as any other. However, it doesn't make it any less true, regardless of lameness. Please don't put me on either side, or assume to have me on either side. I'm just looking at this objectively, and based on my opinion as a player. If you have the format set the way it is (which BWF did so in good intentions), you cannot overlook that this is a possible senario. As twobeer put it earlier, this isn't anything new in sports, nor is it cheating by match-fixing. It is jockeying for position (rankings in the group) for the place in the draw. The eliminated teams are still eliminated, no one is hurt that way. The only people hurt are the fans. And yes, I agree, it was a terrible showing of the sport, and of their countries. But no referee can "make" a player play harder, or more "ethical". If you want to delve even deeper, who's ethics is more ethical? And who gets to decide it? It's not fair in some people's opinion either way.

And yes it is in their discretion. They played all the qualification tournaments. They made all the trips and trained all the way. This is their olympic games. They could have chosen to forgo their spot if they wanted. They could have played with their off hand if they wanted. Olympics, however, is meant to be a competition of the best. And in that "spirit", whoever decided that, was meant to play your hardest. I agree. But this doesn't mean that they aren't going to. We have yet to decide who gets a medal. If they were doing this for Gold/Silver, I can see it being an issue. But BWF set out the format this way, ensuring that a qualified team could possibly "rest" for their final match up, therefore, the blame goes to the governing body. It may not be "ethically", but it's definitely not "against the rules". It's against the spirit. This is why you see football clubs field B and C teams out. Should they also be charged for not putting star power on?

I can't see how a referee has that much power to determine ethics. Should he DQ you because you purposely hit your opponent when they short lifted? But you need to win the point, should you let up, because its ethically correct? Should a ref tell you to stop using Backhand when you technically have time to use your forehand/around the head, but are doing it to give the opponent the attack? If the ref has that much power, why hasn't Lin Dan or Taufik been "warned" for "not trying hard"? There can't be double standards.

Regardless, the facts are that a match was "played". A result was determined. The show was not good, but they played technical, within the rules of badminton. It was fair and square, since there weren't disputed line calls. The only loser is the fans and paying customers to watch.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19074013

Excerpts:

The Badminton World Federation has charged eight female Olympic doubles players with "not using one's best efforts to win a match".

Four pairs of players - two from South Korea, one from China and one from Indonesia - could be disciplined.

...Meanwhile, China's Olympic sports delegation launched an investigation into the alleged "deliberate losing" by its badminton players, saying it opposed any behaviour violating "sporting spirit and morality", as reported by state media.

...At one point the referee, Berg, again intervened and brandished a black card to disqualify the players. However, he then rescinded his decision following protests from the two teams.

...A statement from the BWF confirmed that all four pairs would face charges of "not using one's best efforts to win a match" and "conducting oneself in a manner that is clearly abusive or detrimental to the sport".

15. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-19074280

Excerpts:

China's Olympic sports delegation has begun an investigation into allegations two badminton players "deliberately lost" their match, state media says.

...Australian coach Lasse Bundgaard said the group format of the tournament was to blame.

"If you can win a medal by losing, but not by winning, that's not a good situation to be put in," the Associated Press news agency quoted him as saying.

But a commentary piece carried by Xinhua was more reflective. The players' actions did not "break any rules", it said, but such behaviour damaged "sportsmanship and ethics".

"It is purely an act just for getting gold, with absolutely no respect to the spectators. You will be widely criticised even if you win the gold medal in the end.

"Is it more important for us to ensure a gold-winning opportunity, or to protect China's image and to spread the Olympic spirit?", the commentary asked.

The row provoked heated debate on on Sina Weibo - one of China's Twitter equivalents. Moderators put up a page dividing comments into support and criticism of the players - and 70% of commentators backed the players.
    One user in Beijing said: "It all depends on the result! Once the result is right, the way you achieve it doesn't really matter."

But another from Foshan in southern Guangdong said: "Passive competition, no matter what, goes against the Olympic spirit. All you want to achieve by doing this is to secure both gold and silver."

16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

The whole ridiculous,ludicrous saga is just waiting to happen and it did.

17. xXazn_romeoXx

xXazn_romeoXx Regular Member

North American Technical Director for Oliver Sport
    All i can say is that, regardless of the players actions, it's a lose-lose situation for BWF. They have already lost face to the world, and lost respect in our sport. If they ban or repremand the players, our OG will be nothing but semi-finals or finals already. WD would be finished and ruined. But I believe they put themselves in this spot. You dug your own grave by not addressing this earlier, and putting this format out. Magnify that by a prestigious Gold medal at the Olympics, and having the world watch. Sad day for badminton.

I sympathize for the players though. I don't feel they did anything wrong (out of the rules wise). Ethically and sportsmanship, it's terrible. But I would have/already have done the same thing. Nobody plays a group stage with elimination and not look at potential match ups. It's in human nature to try to gain a result. And I would have done worse for a Gold medal. Sadly, I am human and this is my error. I am not perfect =(

18. RiverGrande

RiverGrande Regular Member

Student
    2 matches that can change the badminton's fate in olympic, :(. I thought If Tian/Zhao didn,t lose, maybe there's no dramas.

19. runningpig001

runningpig001 Regular Member

They will be OKed, and BWF will change the rule in the future.

Li Yongbo will be forced to drink 3 cups of liquor.

#1079 runningpig001, Aug 1, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  20. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

this is such a joke. why would the black card be pulled back???