Was the LD vs LCW gold medal final the best match ever?

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by galaxyduo, Aug 5, 2012.

1. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Well, people talk abou t the greatest Tennis match ever being the 2008 Wimbledon final between Federer and Nadal. But I think we just witnessed the greatest singles match ever for badminton.

I have been watching badminton for over 20 years and I have never seen such a match as last night. Frankly, I don't think we will ever see a match like that again because both players really, really wanted to win that gold medal. While winning the WC again would be nice for LD, I don't think he values it as much because he has won it several times. As for AE, both have won it already (LD winning it several times) so it's not as big as an achievement anymore.

Also, once the players reach the age of 30, their stamina & speed will start deteriorating. Even if both players survive until the next Olympics in 2016 and still remain the top two badminton players in the world, we know that they will not be the same as their form in 2012.

Do you think this was the best singles match ever? Perhaps even the best badminton match ever?

2. smashitup

smashitup Regular Member

Great match. The conditions I thought spoiled it a bit. A fair few errors due to the 'breeze'.

3. morpheus

morpheus Regular Member

The World Championship last year at the same arena is still the best. Less unforced errors and more 'magical' points.

4. F1_shuttle

F1_shuttle Regular Member

The drift was quite significant wasn't it? I saw a replay of one point and you could see the shuttle move sideways! It was going out and ended up landing inside the line

5. green_day

green_day Regular Member

I don't think LD's form at the WC last year was as good as this Olympics though. LD usually has intense training prior to the Olympics. Also, LCW's defense was a level higher in the gold medal final. I think both LD and LCW had better form for this Olympics.

6. Jasonvan

Jasonvan Regular Member

It was a good match with a few memorable points but I wouldn't call it the best ever... The drift did have something to do with it, also both of the players did make some uncharacteristic unforced errors as well...

7. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Surely the best match ever played by both players after last year's WC Final. I'm sure we won't see this kind of match in a long time to come..Thumbs up to both players yesterday...

8. limsy

limsy Regular Member

kuli
    well
    some millimeter behind 2011 world championship ms final.

9. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

I think last year's WC final was better. The breeze spoiled this final by a little bit and we didn't see that many long, drawn out and energy-sapping rallies yesterday compared to the WC last year where things were almost magical.

10. runningpig001

runningpig001 Regular Member

Totally agree.

11. V1lau

V1lau Regular Member

Net Play and Counter Attack
    If we're talking about badminton quality, I would give the WC11 a slight edge. Giving the history and the stakes of the match, I want to say LO12, it certainly the most entertaining Olympic MSF in my opinion.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    yes.

Last night, there was much more pressure than last year's World Championship.

13. King's

King's Regular Member

IMHO, it was not specifically the best encounter between the 2 titans of badminton but the buildup certainly adds to the drama, excitement and intensity.:cool:

14. superdick

superdick Regular Member

definitely not the best in any measure.

let us just focus on men's singles

a)
    if it is a master-class badminton, then 2 matches come to mind

- zhao jianhua vs joko suprianto in all england
    - lin dan vs lee chong wei in beijing 2008

b)
    if it is excitement and on-the-edge thrill

- rashid sidek vs ardy wiranata in thomas cup 92
    - ji xinpeng vs hendrawan in sydney 2000

15. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Hmm, I guess I agree to disagree with the majority here. I may need to go back and review the WC 11 finals, but from memory, I did not see LCW with such a high level of defense at the WC 11 finals. LD could not even kill LCW with half court smashes last night - LD literally had to kill LCW by smashing from the net!

16. Shinichi

Shinichi Regular Member

Teacher
    close game..

17. K_a_d_e

K_a_d_e Regular Member

Worker
    Agree
    yesterday was awesome match but The World Championship last year is still my best one

18. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    From a quality of play standpoint the OG final was played at even higher level than the WC. The speed and tempo was higher in OG. I can agree that last WC may have been even more entertainment value, but from pure badminton-strenght the OG game was up a gear! I am sure both players would have beaten their own WC-version yesturday!

19. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Yup, I agree with twobeer. The speed and tempo seemed higher than WC 11 and both players were in even better form for the Olympics (it makes sense since LD took extra preparations/training for the Olympics).

20. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Personally, i wouldn't say this OG MS Final is the best match ever played...but perhaps one of the best matches ever played (even between LD vs. LCW)..For example : last yr's WC, the 2005 or 2006 MAS Open Final where LCW rallied from behind to beat LD and countless other matches, can arguably be ranked as better..

However, personally, i would say this OG MS Final is probably the best match ever played between LD vs. LCW simply because this could possibly be their last meeting in a Final round of a major tourney (any future Final Rd. matches between the 2, i have a feeling there wouldn't be as much intensity, i'd be surprised if there will~well, maybe if they play & meet in the 2014 AG, but imo, the AG doesn't involve the rest of the world's players)...and if indeed this was their last Final match, what a way to close the chapters in both of their head to head career...

#20 ctjcad, Aug 6, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2012