Idea to stop "Repeated and Unwanted Questions"

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by FEND., Nov 14, 2004.

1. ao314

ao314 Regular Member

Student
    Hello,
    I'm new to this forum, and I'd just like to say that if no topic was ever repeated then the forum would be significantly less active. In a way I think that repeat is inevitable and sometimes a good thing, as it brings up a subject that may not have been discussed in a while - sometimes people's views may have changed.

2. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    Hi ao314, and welcome to the forum. I understand your concerns, and I believe so does the other members, that's why this issue doesn't apply to most of the technique forum but instead just the equipment forum

The technique forum is more open to changes (since technique changes) because as time passes, they may find better techniques.

But things like destination codes, Us Gs have always been the same, and things shouldn't change unless Yonex brings out a new set of standards for the specs. I mean it'd be fine if Yonex all of a sudden comes out with a ultra light 7U racket n people want to discuss on that, but jus askin wut U n G means with a thread 3 posts down asking the same thing... sometimes u wonder wut those people are thinking

I mean it's not like searching the forum will cost an arm or leg (I would understand the repeated threads IF it did) but since it doesn't I dont see the harm of doing so before posting a question.

Just wait and watch, I've seen the same question asked 2-3 times (with regards to destination codes and Us n Gs) in separate new threads within a day. If things dont get better I think u'll eventually see em too :D

#22 JChen99, Nov 15, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  3. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I agree. "Repeating questions" is part of the nature, as everyone could be a newbie when s/he 1st started.

I still remember the 1st ever time i saw "U / G" on my 1st Yonex racket, I immediately want to find the answer "what is that???". To the experts, that question is "surely being asked for 1000000 times", but to the newbies, it might be "mystery of the century". Why? Because the newbie(s) never saw that before...

Think about this, say if you get lost in a city during a trip. If you know there are tons of ppl passing by you, will you just try to screaming like "HELP!!!" or just crying and trying to look at all the small font in the "tour guide" or "map"??? Of course, some ppl might think that "how could u even don't know blah blah blah places???" But, hey, the tourist is NEW! :rolleyes:

I am not saying, if a member asking same question over and over is right. However, if I want to help, I would rather just paste a link, rather than making fun on him/her. If I am really getting annoyed about certain repeating thread, just don't even bother to read it, ignore it, no fight.

Overall, I think such "problem" is un-avoidable. We already have FAQ, have great moderators, have tons of helpful members willing to teach the new comers. If there's certain individual (did not see too many yet) just over-rely on others, and never even bother to check some threads just 3 lines under, then, s/he will sooner or later found out the hard lesson, as no one willing to communicate with them.

As for now, I don't want to add extra work for the moderators, or give extra hassel for new comers to register (imagine u have to do an "exam" before even able to ask for a question...). Let's be helpful, to be open to the new brothers and sisters. :)

4. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

whoa! that was a most interesting read! :) esp the first page! and man, you can be sarcastically funny when you want to huh, redking? ;)

a FAQ section would be good provided the compilations of Q&As are concise and precise. otherwise, it would be quite bothersome to go through them. then again, those with doubts should inevitably do their own part in doing a search.:)

but i would suggest that members posting straight-forward questions already answered before should receive either of 2 treatments:
    - be ignored (that is hoping they will take the hint and endeavour a search on their own) OR
    - a kind soul help guide by answering: "please conduct a search etc." that should be courtesy enough.

by telling the poster that he/she should have attempted a search before posting, and THEN reply his/her question (or attach a ref page), would only IMHO pamper the questioner and possibly others to ignore the 'search-before-you-post' rule.

#24 Anatolii, Nov 16, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2004
  5. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Agree! Agree!!

When I first came to this Forum, the information is so rich that it just like an ocean. Practically speaking, I didn't know what's PM, Sticky, Threads and why were ther some "locked topics"....

Later I found that the moment a thread topic was locked, the moment a new thread(in somewhat a diff form) was started somewhere. Those were mainly started by oldbies.

In addition, I believe the repeated questions is because this Forum is too good in drawing new members. Newbies are so excited with the extremely knowledgable oldbies with strong expertise in almost every badminton related/unrelated issues.

Like instant noodle culture, one wants a problem solved well BEFORE the problem even arrives. eg. many new threads asked ppl to compare Ti100, MP1000 to AT10000, but within an hour the thread started, the guy bought NS100000.

This Forum is so good and rich in techincal information that hardly could one newbie comprehence all major information in short period of time before making a wise decisions.

I would live with the repeated questions and welcome them all like welcoming the Newbies. They will be Oldbies, right?

My special Thanks to Oldbies: Kwun, Cheung, Mag, cooler, Bluejeff, Forrest, Dill, Dave, FEND, Ricky, Lazy Buddy, Ichen99, 604, Badrad, Ants, ......:) They offer personal cares to the Newbie of the Badminton Community:D

#25 redkingjoe, Nov 23, 2004
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  6. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

you're absolutely fervent in your praises of the forum! gosh, is it like the best thing that ever happened to you, besides your family of course?

PM means private messaging. it seems that it is a somewhat universal phrase. i've seen this elsewhere too. and then, 'sticky' has been puzzling me endless now. why that word? some sort of slang??!!

7. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    Each sub-forum have threads that contain instructions or other useful information. These threads always appears first in the listing, cause they're "stuck" (sticky) at the top. Much like the yellow post-it notes in offices.

-dave

8. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    you know what i think? i think hor, the search function is not drawing much attention enough, so we should create a bar that stretches from Active Topics to Log Out that will catch enough attention... so that people will know what is the basic thing that they want to know such as what is mp99, and what are the weight and grip codes...

i'm not referring to anything or anyone, but sometimes the thread can be more constructive and more specific by having a clearer title and the contents with a punch inside, so that people immediately know what you need to know, and not having ambiguous meanings...

i know, haha, this is a stale and hotly-debated topic.... but i was in fact discussing this issue with my friend, who's not in this forum, about the point of comparing between two racquets, such as mp99 and mp100. obviously, both are very different racqs and the opinions differ from person to person, so it's hard to come up with a conclusion which one is better or more suitable. the best thing and most sensible solution is actually to try out both if given the chance. if not, forget it or choose an alternative. it boils down to personal choice and preference eventually, and no amount of opinions will help...

and my friend brought up this useful analogy... that racquets are much simpler in terms of physical structure and the technology, unlike camera forums whereby you can really debate which brand and model will produce better quality pictures, and which lenses are more durable, and which one has more functions...

eventually, this forum will become unavoidably boring as racquets are actually such a simple matter to discuss, and there's no need for a rocket scientist to explore often-discussed questions. perhaps possible threads such as 'have you broke your mp99' and 'have you broke your mp100 before' would be more useful as the newbies will know how durable this particular racquet is actually, before making a decision to invest in high-end models...

just my two cents worth of thoughts. feel free to 'shoot' me ah... ;)