2012 Olympics Day 9 - Men's Double Finals (Gold/Bronze)

Discussion in 'Olympics LONDON 2012' started by kwun, Aug 4, 2012.

?

who will win Men's Doubles Gold?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2012.
  1. Cai Yun / Fu Haifeng (CHN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Mathias Boe / Carsten Mogensen (DEN)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That was not an empathic point. It was just insulting one pair and stating others were better (no reason why though, except for MK/HS). Also, in 2008 MK/HS weren't in such a bad shape - having won the WC they year before also must've given them a boost. ;)
    They're really good big occasion players though, pretty much the complete opposite of LYD/JJS who won an incredible number of titles the last 2 years but haven't been able secure any gold medal. On the other hand, being consistent is a quality of a great pair or player - LD for example barely loses when it matters (big events, WC/OG, Thomas/Sudirman Cup...), and Park Joo-Bong also had an incredible Win-Loss record (Kim Dong Moons and Ha TaeKwons wasn't so bad either).

2. julianng

julianng Regular Member

who thinks that CY/FHF olympic gold medal is less meaningful because they played BoMo in the final instead of JJS/LYD in the final ? or is it just me ?

No offence to BoMo, but JJS/LYD are far more worthy opponents to CY/FHF in my opinion.

3. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

hmm, meaningful should be not to me. afterall, they made it to the final, and it's not their fault JJS/LYD can't made it too.

but to be honest, of course it maybe would be more interesting and tense if it were JJS/LYD in the final.

4. repentedboy

repentedboy Regular Member

student la
    Then Taufik Hidayat's gold medal in Athens is the most meaningless since he beat a partially blind Korean. I am using your logic on Taufik Hidayat's case.

5. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I don't. They played a very good tournament, never losing a game...and as metioned before, it's not their fault JJS/LYD couldn't meet them in the final.
    That being said, I was very disappointed that we didn't get the dream final. Not only because it would have been a quicker, more interesting game (and probably not as clear), but also because I think JJS/LYD deserved it more than BoMo (based on their performance over the last years).

6. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    What do you mean he is partially blind ?

7. repentedboy

student la
    Shon Seung-mo is a partially blind badminton player from Korea. His left eye was made blind when it was hit by a shuttle when he was a kid.

8. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Dream final or not, they are the Olympic champions , and I dont think they care less who they beaten in the final.. I agree that JJS/LYD deserve more than a bronze (at least) but BoMO in the semi got the game plan spot on and they are so hard to beat if they are playing well. so they deserve to be in the final . Performance-wise over the past few years (including ranking) BoMo have actually done better than JJS/LYD and they should not be underestimated. They might not be the most technically-gifted players (they have neither the best defense nor attack)or being the most exiting to watch but they are effective , very discipline and very clever on court .

9. julianng

julianng Regular Member

You must be Miqi Mouse (aka Miqilin7) ... hahahaha

what happened to your old account ? Did you get banned from BC ?

Taufik is the most naturally gifted player in the world. Just face it, in his prime, he could beat any player in the world, including your hero LD.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah that's what I said - their Gold medal isn't worth less because of who they met in the final.

With the other point, I don't agree. BoMo played more tournaments and won a few SS titles, but the Koreans are without doubt the more dangerous pair and still have a serious advantage in the H2H (previous to the OG, they only lost 4 matches against them, one of them in 2006 - where LYD was 17).
    They're better in every department of the game - except the return/serve situation, the tactics, and they don't like to play at a low pace.

In the semi, the Danes were superb at keeping the attack long enough to create an opening and also turning their defense into attack. The serve/return game was very good, MB got onto any short return to his serve...and LYD didn't play as we're used to from him. Nervous mistakes, didn't intercept as much as usual, and the final point was also a rare misjudgement. JJS didn't play very well either, especially in the 2nd game. Both seemed tense and lacking in confidence to me whereas MB/CM were very concentrated and were allowed far too often to interrupt the game, taking out intensity which is in their favor. Ian Spear wasn't so lenient in the Final, which I liked. Not biased either way, but telling them to play on whenever they were taking an overlong time to get ready...

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Don't really agree with that. Taufik is more gifted technique-wise, while LD has better athletic skills and can thus play a higher pace, moving more explosively and creating a bigger threat to anything even slightly flat or short. On the other hand, TH won the '05 WC quite brilliantly and has a much better backhand than LD.... In my book, TH in prime condition with much motivation could take LD except for the '08 OG version. In that tournament, he was unplayable. The skill of PG was useless against him, as was the speed of LCW....he had better net play and more patience than in the '05 WC final and a much more aggressive style of play than Shon Seung Mo who lost to TH in '04.

While I am not particularly a fan of LD, you have to agree that he is undoubtedly the most successful MS player of all time, and won many more titles than TH (especially those big ones, OG/WC/AE). He is also nearly the same age as TH, so you can't really say one of them has a real age advantage.
    Let's just agree they're both incredibly talented players and will be remembered in this sport for a long time ;)

12. repentedboy

student la
    What's the point of having talent if you have poor consistency, discipline and only able to triumph in one/two occasions?

Record and book showed Lin Dan is a lot of better, more decorated and widely recognised than Taufik Hidayat. If his talent and ability are so recognised, why isnt he invited to attend Laureus Sports Award to join big names like Djokovic, Lewis, Messi etc instead of Lin Dan?

Why didnt he receive the best player of the year award ? Why didnt he win Most Valuable Player award at his peak period?

History remembers the great players with remarkable achievements and consistent results.

I can say people dont give a crap about Taufik Hidayat after this London Olympic final, a match which is worth remembering because the image of the sport is saved by a wonderful performance by both Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei. Where was Taufik at that time? Getting knocked out of the tournament in round 16 as usual and coming up with excuses that he is not used to playing in the morning. If you cant play, just go home and let Sony take his place. Olympics has no place for such individual with that kind of attitude.

He is just a one-hit wonder talent. With such a poor results in since the 2007, no one really cares about him. Do not be surprised and disappointed if he is not inducted in the Hall of Fame because he doesn't deserve it with that laziness, complacency and poor consistency.

13. repentedboy

student la
    Seriously it's such a waste of time to talk about Taufik Hidayat, who has nothing to shout about apart from showing off his back hand skills and one-off achievements.

No big recent achievements but more excuses about his age and lack of motivation to cover his regular defeats by unknown players.

Olympic 2012 has shown he is just lucky to win the 2004 Paralympic Gold Medal.

Four Olympic appearances, he managed to win one by luck while Lin Dan can win two out three appearances. He could have won the first one in Athens if it wasnt for Ronald Susilo being so lucky on that day.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

You don't win Olympics by luck. TH played amazing against SSM, and Lin Dan played badly against Susilo. This is professional badminton we're talking about, apart from maybe a frame hit turning into a winner at matchpoint there is no winning by luck. And even then, you had the skills to even get a match point, so it's just unfortunate the final point was luck. Just face it, TH was the best at the '04 Olympics. Just like LD was at the '08 and '12 OG.
    No need to talk trash about TH, who HAS amazing talent. That he did not keep up the hard work like LD did is shown by the results - but until 2006, he did, and he was definitely no "one-hit wonder". He won the '04 OG, '05 WC and '06 AG. That is definitely a huge achievement. He IS one of the greats of the sport, not only for winning those 3 titles in succession but winning major titles for such a long time but also his technical abilities (backhand, jump smash, net play....).

I get that you're a fan of LD, but you should be satisfied with what he has achieved and not downplay other players' achievements. Also, this is a thread about the 2012 OG MD Final, so I think this discussion should be moved elsewhere ;)