Split Step Confusion

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by sraoo, Aug 22, 2012.

1. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    My question is when should/do you split step during a game? After returning to base position and reacting to an incoming shot? Or is it not relative to location and should be executed before starting to accelerate? Any advice would be appreciated, thank-you.

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    My coach said to split-step just before the opponent makes contact with the shuttle. So you can push off in the direction of the flightpath.

3. MeowMeowCats

MeowMeowCats Regular Member

You should do split step when you are getting ready for the next shot. It helps you be balanced and stay on the balls of your feet. This is usually done right before the opponent contact the bird.

4. 96382

96382 Regular Member

No and yes, detail is essential here:

The important thing with the split step is the timing! You have to land the splitstep right in the moment you know where your opponents shot is going to be.
    That means you must not time your step too early or too late! Start the splitstep when your opponent is going to hit the shuttle - in that way that you are landing right in the moment when you can see where he is hitting. This way you can push off with the gained acceleration in the right direction.

Good luck!

5. Staiger1

Staiger1 Regular Member

Fashion designer
    Yeap, thats what my coach taught me as well , it is one of the best advice he ever given to me . My movement has greatly improve just because of this. hopefully your post would help many players on this forum here as well

6. sraoo

sraoo Regular Member

Student
    I understand. So you split step before your opponent contacts the shuttle, not when it is already in flight. Thank-you everyone for the advice!

7. 96382

96382 Regular Member

Please guys you are not entirely right here.

For the beginnger: just try to do a split step or even a small jump right when you think your opponent hits the shuttle.

For the advanced: Dont do the whole splitstep before your oppenent hits the shuttle. Do it afterwards. But with minimal delay. As i said before, you have to know where the birdie is coming to by the time you finish the split-step! If you finish the split step before your opponent hits the shuttle, you are easily to deceive.

However, in a real game situation you do not always do a full split step to the sides, you have to adjust to the situation.

a quick research brought me there:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b_LuXfKwRE

attention while watching to the lifts: whenever someone lifts the shuttle, the split step is done after the opponent hits the shuttle (or the landing happens after that.)

For training purposes just try an alternating drop game and find the right timing for your own split step.

regards

edit//
    here another good example
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=haMmokBFgk0

#7 96382, Aug 23, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    To everyone reading, this is the most important thing said in this thread!

The split step is nothing to do with when you start, but when you have completed the step. Some players will do a bigger jump than others - they should start the split step just before their opponent hits the shuttle. Some players will hardly move their feet off the ground at all and complete their split step in a fraction of the time, and these players may need to time their split for just AFTER their opponent hits the shuttle (but this is rare). For both these players, they will "finish" their split step at the SAME time (if they are any good). When the split step is complete you must know where the shuttle is going direction and trajectory wise.

If you are not very good at judging trajectory, then just get the direction correct and move as fact as possible in the correct direction, then worry about the height.

Good luck!