What is the name of this technique? ( in playing single)

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rudky, Dec 2, 2012.

1. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    This is fore-hand back court defensive shot. You can clear (defensive clear), drop (pull drop), and drive (back court drive). This is something that a single player must trained for; it is used very frequently.

2. rudky

rudky New Member

Thank you, guys. I am glad that my post got your attention with many useful replies.

And I agree with captaincook, like I wrote in my earlier posts, I still think it is a technique that single players should train in order to play. It cannot be played naturally. (I tried it many times but did not succeed).

I just search in the Internet with captaincook's keyword " fore-hand back court defensive shot" and found this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZtyp-Sqy30

What the lady teaches in the clip is very close to the technique I want to learn except that the shuttle is low when it is hit. ( I would like to learn the technique when the shuttle is as high as the player's head). But it is very good to learn "fore-hand back court defensive shot" and I will try to apply it when the shuttle is higher to see if it works.

3. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    I agree with this too. It is a technique as it is frequently used. It's not a desperate shot as some have said. It's just choosing to take it late rather than rushing to get under the shuttle and making a rushed shot or if it has gone too far behind you. It has no particular name i dont think, because you can do any shot (late drop/late drive/late clear) from this technique, you just do it late/at a lower height. It is essentially a shot to take shuttles that have gone past you. (otherwise you should intercept it or move your feet). It is most effective to use this against an attacking clear from a serve return.

Rudky - The shot is taken from your front right and hit across your body. your feet face diagonally into the corner, you face 90 degrees to the side of the court. I find it resembling a very fast arm wrestle from a losing position and suddenly turning into superman and winning. just pronation as some have said. elbow at just not quite 90 degree bent, twist shoulder from losing arm wrestle position to winning arm wrestle position, twist forearm from palm face up to palm face down. you should already be heading back to base as soon as the shuttle has left your racket.

4. sim2peter

sim2peter Regular Member

Nil
    you finally got your answer.
    Captaincook is right.
    Those who had gone through proper training will know this.
    It has forehand back court attack and defensive shot.
    The foot work is different also.
    Those who never have proper training will not understand this. They know nut about badminton! They may alway think they are good, they can play this and that.

5. rudky

rudky New Member

Thanks BaggedCat and sim2peter. :)

BaggedCat, your instruction is very helpful. I'll try to apply it tonight and get back to you soon if I have any other confusion.

Thanks a lot.

6. abans

abans Regular Member

IT
    My coach called it a 'get out of jail free' shot. his instructions were:
    1. racket foot toe pointing in the direction of the corner. other foot at right angles to the racket foot. a little bit of lunge (remember, you are late for the shot)
    2. the racket arm starts with the elbow thrust out towards the net, arm behind the shuttle, wrist loose with the racket dropping to be flat with the wrist
    3. swing the elbow back and the arm forward. keep your grip loose and snap/tighten just at time of impact. this can change the power you use and drive clear or drop.
    he felt it was best to drop if you are out of position as it is easier to move forward than back for beginner players like me.
    HTH.

7. zamrioo2

zamrioo2 Regular Member

technician
    u'll master the shot if u could move faster with stronger wrist & forearm... with this level, your body position is similar to do any shots that u like even cross court smash

#27 zamrioo2, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  8. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    i would say this is a forehand pulled shot.

It can be a drop shot, net shot, clear, drive or any other shot but basically it is a pulled-shot.

Here's a video from BWF of a forehand pulled dropshot.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFLV6zKtI4s

y
    ou can also find the mirror stroke for this which is the backhand pulled dropshot in the youtube.

#28 neavalmi0421, Dec 4, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  9. rudky

rudky New Member

iT is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!!!

10. rudky

rudky New Member

Thanks aban. I tried it today and it works.

11. neavalmi0421

neavalmi0421 Regular Member

New Product Development
    I'm glad that i can be of help. Good luck.

12. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    most people get this shot wrong by panicing and snatching at the shot. you have to keep relaxed and use your shoulder, arm and elbow as the controllers in the shot and allow the wrist to speed up at the end for the power and deception. move directly to the shuttle with your feet, dont go backwards then sideways but directly to it. another important thing to consider is u must move ur racket first (as with almost every shot) this will stop u over runnin and crampin urself up which will limit power and variety of shot. try to strike the shuttle and land with ur foot at the same time. this keeps fluidity in the shot and a more consistent hittin point.

so in summary:-

1/ rackets moves first (prepare racket to give yourself time)
    2/ move towards the shuttle directly and not "around" it.
    3/ keep your shoulder and arm and elbow steady and allow a natural swing.(this can be swung quite slow depending on how out of position you are)
    4/ wrist power at the end and direction for what shot you wish to play.
    5/ strike the shuttle before recovering.
    6/ recovery is key, come back into court quite open if playing the downwards one to make the court seem smaller to your opponent. try not to cross your feet cos easier for ur opponent to send u the wrong way again.

i hope this helps :)

13. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    Remember to point your foot in the direction of where you are going, otherwise you'll end up like Lee Chong Wei did during the Thomas Cup...

14. rogerv2

rogerv2 Regular Member

I would like to contribute some tips that worked for me :-

1) Always look at the shuttle
    2) Get your racket up and ready early
    3) Hit the shuttle exactly at the point the right leg lands on the ground to get the most power
    4) For best results be behind or parallel to the shuttle when hitting it.
    5) When taking the shuttle very late and low, hit as hard as you can because your opponent will be waiting at the net.

15. Wingu

Wingu Regular Member

Teacher
    I learned that you should have the racket in a ready position so that you have your racket hand close to your chest.When taking the shuttle late, consider doing a clear as you are in a pressed situation already. Good players can also surprise by making a cross drop shot or cross court drive, as the opponent will most likely move into a position so that he is ready to take the straight shot.If you are doing cross court, remember not to slice it as it will most likely go too much of an upward direction.Also, it's the pan handle grip for shot type of shot.