Help in receiving service

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by abans, Oct 26, 2012.

1. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Good to hear! hopefully if enough people get wise to this serve we will never have to see it again:D

2. Ruffle

Ruffle Regular Member

Badminton, ie. retired. I think I once had somethi
    Absolutely the opposite! :)

In clubs around the world there are players who will take advantage of an opponent's weakness, even if that means playing "non-PC" shots. Anyone at any level knows that this serve is useless, provided that the receiver knows how to take advantage of it's terrible nature! If receiver does not know how to do that, server will win many more points using it than he/she loses. So let this awful serve come, and let folks learn just how stupid it is, by countering it properly. Otherwise the Bad Guys win…

3. captaincook

captaincook Regular Member

captain
    I have seen a clear return to the middle worked well. The opponents are basically in side-by-side position after the serve. A punch clear to the middle confused both players, as both of them are looking for smashes or drops. But don't use it every time.

4. Ruffle

Ruffle Regular Member

Badminton, ie. retired. I think I once had somethi
    I'm unhappy about any clear from a serve. It announces, "I can't handle this serve, so I'll break the rules of attack, and clear it." Unless of course the opponents are seriously out of position, in which case, in desperation, an attacking clear (whatever that is) might beat some poor players. But they have to be sseriously out of position, not just taking a sides position. Of course they must be poor players if they use this serve… but I hate it - it sends the wrong message to them.

A clear gives them time to react, and time to get into a winning position (hitting down) which you should never do unless you have no other options.

So, the question is, do you have no other options but to clear from this serve?

5. charliebadders

charliebadders Regular Member

student
    If your opponent plays the flat drive to the back middle, reply with an around the head drop shot to the centre. Your opponent is out of position and would have a weak reply. If your open plays the low serve into the tramlines, either play a straight net shot or midcourt push. your Opponent is on the other side of the court and his partner most likely around the back middle, leaving a massive hole for you to play into.

6. Vatsal

Vatsal Regular Member

Student
    I followed the following approach against a similar player:-

1.I turned myself towards him....
    2.I returned his every serve to his backhand corner....
    from there it was easy to trap him

7. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Against any flick or drive serve, a forehand is definitely the way to go. Okay, you might occasionally get wrong-footed and have to use a backhand, but never plan on doing that!

This from-the-tramlines drive serve is neutralised by standing farther back and facing the server, so that your feet are approximately "pointing" towards the wide low serve corner -- i.e. imagine drawing a straight line between your feet, and follow this line; it should pass close to where the front service line meets the side line.

In this way, you are well positioned for a round-the-head attack of his drive (or flick) serve. Your feet position means you can easily move to his wide low serve. These are the two serves he wants to play; in practice everything else is less effective.

Because the opponents are not able to cover the court effectively here, your service returns do not need to be that aggressive in order to establish a clear advantage. Play simple, controlled shots and take control of the rally, rather than insisting on winning in one shot. Be aware of what areas the server's partner is covering, and play your returns away from him.

Try it!