Are you a romantic in soccer?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by tcstay, Dec 10, 2004.

1. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    haha, don't be mistaken.. i'm talking about supporting lesser teams instead of the big and powerful soccer teams...

i used to support Wimbledon when the Crazy Gang existed, but all of them were gone and subsquently the club went into a decline... there's little news of them so i could hardly track the club's progress anymore...

and also, used to support Nottingham Forest when they were in the Premiership in the past, though struggling all the time...

the only way that i can help to revive their fate and fortune is through Championship Manager.. hahaha

so is there anyone like me who support the less-popular team too? and what's the reasons behind the support?

2. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    not just me, since soccer is so boring to watch :p , many people romancing while watching soccer on tv. :p

3. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Haha, good one cooler. I'd love to do some romancing while watching football but then again, not going to happen for a while... :(;)

I guess I don't qualify here then - I've been a Red for 16 years...

But I do support any minnows playing against Everton and Manchester United though, be it Exeter City or Scunthorpe! :)

4. ttktom

ttktom Regular Member

Yeah i support my local team Southport FC they are in the Northern conference and doing well they are 2nd. which is equal to division 5.

5. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    woah, that's really a true blue supporter of a local team, though it's a minnow...

hope they can qualify for English League Two...

btw, what's the difference between Northern Conference and Nationwide Conference? that's something i'm not too clear about...

6. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    in hk, no body will support a lesser team. it's a money betting business. before it's legalized in hk, i'll spend time only on worldcup. but now, no more. bad influence to the next gerneration.

better to watch lin dan:D

7. tcstay

tcstay Regular Member

student
    haha, frankly speaking, singapore soccer is in such a lousy state that no one even bothers to bet... (i only bet once before in a world cup match..). the matches are often lop-sided, and the minnows can suddenly spring up a draw or a win by a big margin.. incredible but terrible.

i would rather support the English soccer minnows (though little or no tv coverage) than the local teams.

btw, i also support Avispa Fukuoka soccer team (currently 3rd in j-league 2) right now... after doing a research project on the Fukuoka city recently.

8. goldmedal

goldmedal Regular Member

education
    in scottish prem league, instead of supporting celtic or rangers, i support inverness caley thistle beacause they are my home team being from inverness

9. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Sounds to me that you support football/soccer more than badminton. Is that true?
    In fact, when we turn on TV, especially sports channel, soccer occupies most of the time 24 hours. If we want to watch badminton, we need to do a search in internet, ask around buddies, use payal to buy one or two videos. Watch that untill we get too bored on that one and buy another one. That's not too good.
    Since the coverage of football in the media is so overwhelming, I think we should ban any discussion of football related things in this forum or sooner or later, this will become a SF/FF.
    May I get your kindness in agreeing to lock this thread?:D

(PS:After reading your thread a while, I have felt the bad influence I want badly to watch Worldcup now: German vs Bra, Eng vs Bra...:crying: )

#9 redkingjoe, Dec 12, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2004
  10. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Why ban and lock?
    The thread is located where it should be - Chit Chat, a place to discuss about anything but badminton. If so, we should perhaps ban and lock 'Bubble Tea' as well, no?

I doubt BF'ers are mostly one dimensional - eat badminton, sleep badminton, drink Coca Cola, eh, badminton; thus many would have interests outside the court. Kwun's article on the pet dog of Tyler Hamilton, 'Tugboat' was pretty good to read and it isn't about badminton.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17114

Somehow I don't see a problem with table tennis there... *scans thread list*

11. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    anyway, after reading your "i'm sorry" and this one, i want to watch worldcup now:crying: .
    football has a bad influence to me, i don't have time to discuss or debate with you now. i had better email han for a list of past world cup, Bra vs Eng or Bra vs Ger will be fine:crying:

12. laughable c.

laughable c. Regular Member

to burn a hole(s) in my seat - more difficult than
    haven't you gotten the idea that rkj. is extremely paranoid of deletion of his posts? i reckon, he hasn't fully understood why some threads were locked, or posts deleted, hence is demanding justice by requesting for other seemingly irrelevant threads to be locked as well..

just trying to be helpful... :) -laughable c.-

13. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

hehehe.

im dont want to stir the pot or anything but looks to me your post here is gonna get deleted or at least edited :D

jug

14. laughable c.

hahahh!:D i should think so too. not onlly mine though. ;)

15. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    don't be too worried, the "key" is participation with passion.

Let's look at the definition of "romantic". It's freedom unrestricted. If you are a romantic in soccer=you might be thinking about badminton in soccer's thread.
    Or it can't be too wrong with anything putting down to a thread when you are romantic, in soccer or not.
    (I thought when you said that you were trying to help, you tried to do a off-thread and the whole thread is locked/blocked and banned, am I right?)

16. laughable c.

i don't understand what you mean by that. i was just trying to explain the situation from my viewpoint (to fred).

17. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    We've got to be a bit more serious now. OK.

Certainly, I fully understand what your meaning was. It's clear and clean as pure crystal. But remember, we are in a "romantic" thread. Everthing that is romantically interpreted might be presented. It might surprise you too.

Please do some homework on checking with the definition of Romantic in the most serious sence. You will have a better understanding of "association" means.

Soccer is really cool.

18. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c
    ah the beautiful world of mass communication making the world a smaller place. globalization they call it. other cliches being 'bringing the world closer together' and 'a world without boundaries' aka 'dunia tanpa sempadan' in malay.

but let us ponder on this topic today. with this thread being the perfect example. is technology really bridging the communication gap. are we understanding each other better. i know we can all read what is being written. but difference in comprehension and perception still exist.

i personally dont know what the fuss is here.

any way. to avoid being 100% off-topic here's something related i picked up in one of my lectures i sat in.

lecturer: does globalization really exist? is the world really becoming 1?

class: no. its just a gimmick...
    just the latest catch phrase...
    its a new western trick of passive collonizing our freedom and culture...
    bla bla bla...
    etc...

lecturer: then tell me, when MU scores a goal on live television does not all of it's fans watching it live from all around the world shout GOOOAAAAALLLLLLLLL all at once?

the class was impressed :)

19. laughable c.

ok i'm feeling very remorseful right now. i think i'm repeating my mistakes again and am poking my nose into business that don't concern me. i apologise sincerely.

20. wilfredlgf

Security Engineer
    Come come, a good topic. No need to get into the fighting mood here.