exercises for kids

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by lkomarci, Aug 21, 2007.

1. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

if you were coaching about 14 kids on 3 courts, which exercises would you recommend?
    Those are absolute beginners, 11-14 yrs old, I'm one of the coaches on this badminton camp we're having, so I'm trying to make it as interesting as possible for them? I play with them quite a lot, which is interesting for them, but are there any group exercises games which would include both the kids and me? or only them it doesn't matter

#1 lkomarci, Aug 21, 2007
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2007
  2. batgirl25

batgirl25 New Member

marketeer
    kids aswell

Hi
    I am new on this forum. I am coaching a few 9 to 13 year olds. I was also wondering if there is a website with badminton exerc. for children (fun)?

I did a few games last year: you probably already know them but here they are: Chinese badminton (run behind hitter) and try to hit objects (smash) with a reward

3. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

yea i know these, that's one of the few I did also with my group. Well, for them probably the most interesting thing is to play with the coach, so you're on one half, and they're on the other. And just like in Chinese badminton, they swap when one of them loses a point against you :D
    As for warming up, there's lots of different drills. Juggling with forehand, backhand, F&B, juggling F, B and F&B with weaker hand, juggling with 180° rotation, meaning that you hit the shuttle high in the air, turn around and hit it again, forehand and backhand. Then put them into pairs, tell them to sit down on the ground and play :), then to try juggling while lying down. Then there's a drill in pairs too, they have to sit down and stand up while playing.

#3 lkomarci, Sep 1, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2007
  4. batgirl25

batgirl25 New Member

marketeer
    Tnx! Goodluck with your camp.

5. Ang3l

Ang3l Regular Member

Hospital volunteer/badminton coach (mostly kids)/
    I coach 7-32 (I am not a pro or anything, I just have students who start playing at that age). But, mostly I deal with kids.This is perfect because at one camp I taught 16 kids on 3 courts. I had them juggle and pick the birdie up from the ground just using their rackets. Then I simply taught them the overhand stroke, using a 3 step method. To get them used to the overhand stroke and fix their little problems I just had them throw birdies from the back alley (not the baseline) but they had to make it over the net while I went around and fixed a little things (stiffness, no follow through, etc.). You can give them incentives, for example I noticed they had trouble serving to the back alley underhanded and so I placed a bin in the back alley and promised that the first one to make it in wins a huge snoopy stuffed animal and that the ones after that get popsicles next time. To my dismay, the first kid with her very first attempt made it, and surprisingly they all made it in within their 1st or 2nd try. I eventually gave them goals and rewards (ie. less running, food, prizes) and by the time the one week camp was over their parents were surprised. Just seperate them onto courts and play with the kids one court at a time (just make sure they all get equal attention). Hope this helped and that your camp works out great.

6. Notnimdab729

Notnimdab729 Regular Member

Deputy General Manager
    Exercises

Hi Ang3l,
    Good work man. Kids of young ages are agile n carefree. They learn things pretty fast. "Fun" should be the focus rather than any strict regimental training. With fun n enjoyment plus rewards, they will progress at a great pace. Well done n keep it up,baddy.;)
    Lee:D

7. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

thanks for your inputs guys, it's been a while since I was just a kid so I guess I forgot what I used to do on practice :D

8. jacoblewis2008

jacoblewis2008 Regular Member

Outdoor activities are itself the best exercises especially for kids.

9. lkomarci

lkomarci Regular Member

that's true, not on 0°C though :D

10. gunner93

gunner93 Regular Member

Here is an interesting idea for the group of juniors especially if there are 3 to 4 courts. Break them into smaller groups equally for each court. Let them take turns to spar @ 5 points or 7 points (up to you). After all have played, the one with most win in each court advance to the higher court. The one who looses will be relegated to the lower courts. After 30 mins, you will automatically see the better ones will end up in one end of the court whereas the poor ones will end up at the other end of the court. Just sit back and enjoy the competition with a can of beer.

#10 gunner93, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013
  11. mindfields

mindfields Regular Member

Playing "fox & Hound" using the courtlines to practice footwork is always good fun.
    You take the nets down & basically you you have 2 "Hounds" that start on one side of the court and all the foxes on the other. They can travel by sidestepping along any of the court lines and try to tag the foxes. You can only tag if on the same line so you can't tag if they're on the parrallel double/single tram lines.