English. Important language

Discussion in 'Professional Players' started by Nismo333, Mar 18, 2013.

1. yitao

yitao Regular Member

It's not easy for a person from East Asian to learn a western language, maybe a French/Spanish/Italian man can learn English very fast, because their mother language belong to Western European series. But it's also not easy for Chinese/Korean/Japanese people to learn each other's language. I know that Chinese and Korean players do not spend much time at school so their language capability is poor. But for people from Singapore/Hong Kong/Malaysia (with multiculture environment), English is much more used in their life, so the players can speak English more or less.

2. kctho

kctho Regular Member

Nope, Japanese have English lesson in the primary school. They just did not apply or use what they learn as they do not not interact with the language with their peers. They also do not have chance to interact with foreigners at that age. Most can understand a bit as they grow up but could not speak it though..

3. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    I can remember that the guy who is commentating together with Gill Clark said in a few matches ago:
    "The "new" generation of the Chinese players like Chen Long and all the upcoming newcommers get some English lessons for being able to communicate just a bit on the court with other nation players and with the umpire".

I think that is a really good step.

4. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

If Badminton wants to become more popular not just in Asia but also in the rest of the world, I think it is absolutely necessary that the biggest Badminton stars are able to communicate in English.

BTW: I just can't imagine people traveling around the world all the time not being able to speak at least a little bit English.

#44 Ton-Min-Bad, Mar 22, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2013
  5. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

The statement "all the time" seems to be a only a mis-impression...

you can count how many badminton tournaments are held in English speaking countries? And how many of them are attended by Asain particularly these Chinese players....

By the way, many of my Westerner friend do travel around Chinese cities almost all the time but not really can speak a little bit of Chinese... :D

6. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

I could be wrong, of course. So you think it's possible to travel to all these tournaments (even in Asia) and be around with all these players from other nations without speaking or understanding at least a little bit of English?

7. tonylin

tonylin New Member

Graduate
    They are too busy in training, having no time to learn English.
    他们忙着训练,哪有时间来学英语啊?