Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

Maybe Peter Gade could be the best choice

2. fauci

fauci Regular Member

I could see that the cynics would then say the sport is purely Chinese, let's forget about that.

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Interestingly, Xia Xuanze sometime after Lin Dan's return to the national team was reported to have said that Lin Dan's main role now is to pass on his experience (to the next generation).

4. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    ie:

"how to beat Lee Chong Wei."

or, more specifically:

"how I beat Lee Chong Wei."

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    One day, maybe a decade or two from now, a man from China will be elected the President of BWF. That man may be Lin Dan. Hopefully, this post will be remembered then. :D

6. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thanks, kwun... when i go to "Notification" tab, it says "kwun clicked Likes for this post: [post=2062254]Lin Dan ( 林丹 )[/post] by pcll99". How can I jump directly to post 2062254?

7. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

oh, Chen Long had just written a book about it.

8. jojandy

jojandy Regular Member

Student
  9. sen

sen Regular Member

It will be difficult because badminton players are usually not considered as contenders. Maybe in future Lee Yong Dae can win it. Or maybe female player have better chances to be World Sportswoman rather than male players chance to be World Sportman

10. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

WTH, it's about time that Lin Dan comes back and tries again!!!

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Is it just me that thinks LD wasn't at 100% peak form during the London Olympics? No doubt he played well enough, but compared to Beijing 2008 he was no where near as convincing. He seemed at times to struggle physically a little in the final which I've never seen from him. I personally think LCW should have won that match as he played better.

I know LDs matured and playing a less aggressive and more patient game now but having seen him play his best badminton in 2008, I just feel his fitness and form is starting to go. And now with such a long time off, it will take a lot of work to knock him back into shape.

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Players of the Year 2012 Awards nominees!!

http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=72183

I am rooting for Zhao YL!!! The only person who had won two gold medals in one single Olympic Games.

13. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

don't worry, Lin Dan will just have another book to write. for example: how i stole/overtook/tackled LCW's major titles, in front of his nose, twice.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

My votes go to Li Xuerui and Chen Long ! The former for her supernormal rise and the latter for his spectacular performance during Lin Dan's absence. What Lin Dan achieved in gaining his second Olympic gold was marvellous but not totally unexpected nor out of his reach.

15. Lyonn Loo

Lyonn Loo Regular Member

Human
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Woo! Lin Dan's microblog has about 20 million followers ( yes 20 not 2 million ), a huge figure. [FONT=&#23435]林丹的微博上大约有两千万追随者,可谓数量庞大。

He seems to be still actively involved in social volunteer work or activities. Recently,he's also taking his appointment as the ambassador of the Laureus Awards seriously and enjoying himself playing that role well when in Rio, Brazil,visiting the poor districts and observing how they deal with poverty alleviation,esp for the kids.An evocative trip, he came away full of thoughts comparing the lives of the poor in China and elsewhere and expressed the view that assistance to the poor isn't simply offering some help and donating money but requires long-term follow-up and monitoring where improvements are needed as the way to discern the meaning of giving.
    [/FONT]
    http://sports.qq.com/a/20130328/000639.htm

17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

For me, I draw a clear distinction between Lin Dan up to and including the London Olympics and Lin Dan post-LOG. Just as Li Yonbo said he would not set any goals for Lin Dan from now on and Xia Xuanze emphasized the main role of Lin Dan as passing on his experience, I too will not make any demands on him and expect him to perform as before, in my humblest opinion. As long as he's happy, I respect and support whatever decisions he make. I'll be content if he carries on playing until Rio'16.

Just think. Lee CW didn't take any post-LOG break other than to prepare for his wedding which merely disrupted his training routine a short while, a month at most,and for that his form took a dip. As such, wouldn't it be much worse for Lin Dan after his long six-month break? I'd give Lin Dan another 6-9 months to regain his form for his lesser motivation is something I believe no amount of training can make up for it. Indeed lack of sufficient motivation is a setback - ask Bjorn Borg and Taufik Hidayat, for example.He just have to work himself back to form, near his best will do.

Frankly, I'm not to optimistic about his Rio Olympic quest. Even though I don't doubt his earnestness and motivation, esp nearer to the event, his prodigious talent aside, there's also the consideration of two player per nation Olympic qualification rule that I foresee will be implemented by then, what with new up-and-coming CHN MS players apart from Chen Long and, I may add, Wang Zhengming.

Anyway, three years is a long time till Rio OG and human affairs are most unpredictable. There simply cannot be any foregone conclusion at this time.

18. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan quitting badminton? I certainly hope it's an April Fool's joke. Of course,the best way to refute it is for Lin Dan himself to deny it.

Since we're talking about the post-LOG Lin Dan, I had better not rule anything out immediately until further investigation or verification.

20. AirStyles

AirStyles Regular Member

Student
    Happy April Fools day?