VIDEO: what's wrong with this smash?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by kwun, Mar 14, 2012.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, Yeap... :)

2. aikakira

aikakira Regular Member

Student
    I've been looking into increasing my smash power as well, I'm currently shoulder pressing around 190lbs, see some gain but nothing like most players here, then found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCNhuysZlaY

Think it will illustrate everything everyone's been talking about on this thread!

Hope its useful for you!

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah... I prefer this one... :) [video=youtube;DqthgAaeJMY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DqthgAaeJMY[/video]

4. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Same here.. And the GC's comments also add spice to that video..

GC :- "Loook at that shoooulder rotation.. The pronaation of the forearm, creates the power.. The bend of the racket.. Goodness me.. "

5. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Yah, and that's the MX80 that he's bending! :eek:

6. visor

visor Regular Member

And since we're at it, this one shows LD, LCW, CL, FHF, CY, TBH, JJS, LYD, PG in slow mo hd... including footwork, smashes, etc. A lot of rackets being bent... ;) [video=youtube;NUp5duS9pp8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUp5duS9pp8[/video]

7. aikakira

aikakira Regular Member

Student
    Great vids!

Mine of LYD was personally helpful for myself to understand how fast he rotates his body at the given point and whips the shuttle down

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Nice slow motion video in an actual game situation.

2.38 I see TBH's smash. The preparation, his left elbow is at the level of the shoulder. This particular shot he is travelling backwards so I don't see his shoulder rotating so much. But at the end of the stroke, he does end up with his left leg closer to the net.

3.49 FHF has his elbow at the level of the shoulder and the racquet face is facing towards the net.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Yep, the elbow position is quite important.

In preparation, the elbow should form a straight line thru both shoulders with the other arm/elbow raised pointing at the incoming shuttle.

Then going into smashing, the elbow should lead the stroke while the forearm is still coiled up in flexion/supination. Then extend and
    pronate forearm into the shot.

And if you have enough time to rotate the hips and shoulder into the shot, *before* the above sequence, then you will have your 100% power smash. :)

#89 visor, Apr 8, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    goodness me.

11. phili

phili Regular Member

Damn it, now I want to go on court right now and thunder down a few shuttles. Unfortunately I won't play until wednesday :(

12. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    This is really interesting as it seems to echo the problems I’ve had since returning to the game after 7 years off with injury.

After watching a video of myself playing recently I noticed some things that I never knew I do now that I didn’t before my injury.

The first obvious thing was that my elbow is quite low in my preparation, far lower than it used to be for some reason. The clip wasn’t good enough to see how I had my racquet face, but my grip has always been somewhere between pan handle and conventional forehand, but more towards pan handle with very little pronation.

I don’t struggle with power in my smashes if I have the time to prepare, but against good players you never have time to prepare and this is where your comment about keeping the whole stroke short is very true/useful. While I have a pretty powerful smash, when there’s little time to prepare, it is very poor. Something I certainly need to work on.

I never thought about all the little things that can help keep the stroke condensed, not only to help with mishits but also when there is little time to prepare.

The other thing, like you, my contact point is lower too. But I know why I do this, it’s because I’m trying to protect my shoulder from injury again semi-consciously.

With many years of little exercise and having a baby, I’ve put on a bit of weight and as such I find I can no longer jump up with both feet for a smash without losing balance on landing. So my jump smashes tend only be small jumps and the landing is more of a scissor kick than with both feet. I’ve lost a bit of power here too.

I need to relearn the jump smash again – difficult when stamina isn’t there anymore! L

Can you explain the point about JJS’s smash preparation? I’m not completely clear on this. How does the angle of your racquet face help with shortening the stroke? Do you mean his grip is more pan handle?

13. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

I'm late to the party, but this is an interesting puzzle! From the video it's difficult to see how good the smash is, but I'll assume it really is weak, as stated.

Overall this guy has good technique. The most important message for him is encouragement. He is not that far from getting a good smash. I have a few suggestions, most of which have already been mentioned:

(1) He's leaning back too much before the smash. This reduces balance and means that, to some extent, his own body weight is holding him back.

(2) The elbow is too low in preparation -- sometimes much too low. Try raising it so that you could draw a straight line connecting the elbows and shoulders. This may be related to leaning back too far.

(3) I think he's slicing the smash, quite severely. That's what it sounds like to me, although it's hard to be sure with unfamiliar acoustics and a camera mic. His smash sound seems too similar to his backhand push sound. The grip doesn't look too bad, so I think it's just a timing issue. He appears to be using arm rotation well, but if the timing is off slightly then the shuttle can be heavily sliced. It would be interesting to know whether his smashes tend to travel off to one side.

(4) I think the grip tightening is wrong. He appears to tighten the grip much too early in the hitting action, when he is only just starting the forward swing. After this point the grip looks quite firm, but doesn't show much sign of tightening further. Perhaps try using a more relaxed grip initially, and delay tightening until nearer the impact point.

(5) I can see too much of the racket strings during his preparation. This suggests he could be over-rotating in his upper body and especially the arm. This could introduce too much tension in these muscles, which interferes with generating explosive power. It could also mean his body is "prepared" to generate power in the wrong direction -- i.e. off to his right, rather than straight ahead. He could try preparing in a more "neutral" posture, with the racket strings facing downwards and forwards, rather than facing out to his right. It's even possible that this could correct the slicing problem.

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Actually, reviewing the OP video again, it does seem that the MX80 may be too stiff for him as there's practically no shaft bending noticeable, which should occur on such a power shot. I would suggest changing to a slightly flexier racket, like MX70, JJS, or 60, which would allow more whipping acceleration of the racket face into the bird at strike.

15. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional

how come bintang campbell looks sooooo much better in the video than in person???

i've seen this guy smash in person, it's not weak at all, if anything, it's has good angles.

16. Ashaan

Ashaan Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Ohh, so you know "you know who"? :D

Thanks Gollum for the analysis.

I've never been coached, but picked up badminton about 3-4 yrs back, and now fine tuning one by one.. Good to read & understand about the finer aspects of the technical details..

#96 Ashaan, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  17. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Given that history, I think you should be very pleased with the quality of your technique. :)

Those are proper deep lifts in the video -- some may even be out the back! Most players will struggle to get much power from this position. It's a lot easier when the lifts are shorter!

18. visor

visor Regular Member

^^ Ashaan is not the subject in the OP video.
    That person would be he-that-cannot-be-named...
    C'mon, we all know who he is! ;)

Yes, agree and had earlier mentioned that the feeder should not have lifted so deep to baseline for this particular drill. Makes it unnecessarily challenging for k**n. ;)

19. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

Oh dear, I am easily confused by these players seeming to claim responsibility for those smashes. I assume actually naming him outright on this forum would be like invoking Cthulhu from across the abyssal void, and last time I did that it took months to get the unholy tentacles out of my hair.

So if it's The Boss (The Darkener of Feathers? The Nether Smasher?), maybe I have another idea: perhaps the player is judging his own performance very harshly! These Elder Gods are real perfectionists, or so I've heard.

#99 Gollum, Apr 10, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  20. visor

visor Regular Member

Hehe... yep it is the Boss. :)
    And although his form is not too bad, he did post the video asking for opinions. :)