My Today's Match.

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Furqan, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    Hi.
    I played a bit harder and for much more time today. It was a good day for me.
    I started with a little warming up with my partener....We started the match after like 10 minutes. I won the first set easily..15-7...the opponent seemd too much disappointed.he was like throwing the racket away again and again...so we sarted the next set...i was the one leading...3-1..then i got stuck on 3 and he reached 11...i was still thinking oh no problem the opponent is a weaker one and im a true PLAYEr..i can win..even if hes 11...and i made the score 7-12...then 8-12.. then 9-13...but then suddenly he got the two points and won..i waasnt too much disappointed...the opponent seemed happy. we started the enxt set..it was like i was losing 4-8..then i made it 9-8..(leading)...then i made it 13-9...but we just took a break at that point for about 1 mmintue..wind was blwing too fast.( as we played outdoors...[​IMG])...then when we started again...score went upto 13-13..then i scored another point(14-13 now)..after that he reached 14-14...then he won the set 17-14......
    man i was like so much disappointed and angry..this guy never even visited the badminton forums...his grip is wrong...his footwork is wrong..everything...man..i stuill do not know why did i lose..? it wa slike unbelieveable..when ever we do warming up...or knocks...i always lead...i mean i am the one who wins each rally when when wer playing withoout a match..and i win easily..but man i do not know what happened in the match....man i waas like so confident in the startt that i will win
    . i even forced him to play a match..he was like no no match..ul win..i was like no...lets have a match...man then i lost.
    i thought i should play another game with him..of only 2 sets...he won the first one although i was leading 9-6..!..but he won..after that the next set...i won...15-13...
    man i dont know whats wrong with me...i SUCK man i do suck,,,i dont know what aspect of my game should i improve....i think i am not fit..i get tired easily...and plus my footwork is not so good..when we are practising...my footwork is perfect..that chasse step....and rotation and all....its perfect but in a match i do not know anytihng.i just play..i even try to keep myself informed of my footwork..but i cannot practise good footwork in a match...maybe i should play more matches???
    but its unbelievable for me that he won the match...
    maybe i got too over confident..or something.

any ideas?
    ( i know no one replies on my posts.[​IMG])
    (p.s i hate self pitying[​IMG])

2. mjwhitfield

mjwhitfield Regular Member

Postgrad University Student
    Well, I don’t play singles very often, but the same sort of thing has happened to me in doubles. I posted a while ago about mental strength (can’t find it now though) and it sounds like it might be the issue here.

I know that when I’m playing someone and they start to get frustrated I slacken my game off a little so as not to annoy them too much. Perhaps you did the same thing without noticing? After all, no one likes to upset people. The problem with doing it is that if someone is only a little worse than you, then they start to score and pull back level they might start to play better than usual and the game will tip in their favour.

Maybe that was your problem, you’re too kind! :D

3. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    if that has happened WITHOUT MY KNOWING..then it can be the case..i dint do it on purpose...

4. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    More drills & more practice games to get the footwork & other mechanics to come more naturally. More tournaments to help you to relax a bit more... you should be a focused & relaxed yet pumped up (energized). More tourney experience should help you develop your mental game.

Letting yourself get angry/frustrated can be extremely counter-productive. Try some off-court & on-court meditation to get you to a peak peformance state. A little controlled breathing or a mantra repetition could do the trick. Between points, close your eyes for a few seconds, relax the muscles of your forhead & take a few deep breaths. Most important is not to dwell on the last mistake & move on to the next point. Try to learn from mistakes w/o letting them get in the way by making you frustrated. Accept that you made an error, then put it out of your head & play in the now!

5. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    wow thanks a lot man...
    hm il need to remember this
    but tell me more aobut meditation and that whats mantra repetition..?

6. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

hello! .. it's nice to know i'm not alone in these kinda situations :D! i was losing terrribly to a clone of your friend, but i still managed to scrape a few points nearing the end when i calmed myself down, and concentrated on her weaknesses.

so do i! ;)

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Prolly cause anatolii wasn't cheering you on!!

8. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

:eek: :eek: no, he wouldn't want that! wouldn't even be able to play, at the sight of me... too busy laughing. :rolleyes:

9. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

it's weird how the more we hate our weaknesses, the more we are prone to them.

10. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    [​IMG]yes you two are being very benefitial for my cause

p.s..anatolii....you idnt get my sense ctually.

someone explains to me that meditation thingy........and that mantra whatever[​IMG]

11. badmad

badmad Regular Member

by meditation, probably what he means is to concentrate on thing what you are doing currently. during the match, you would find lot many distractions. Let your mind not waver. Gopichand regularly does meditation and he says it does help his game. it sounds logical to me.

12. Ben Beckman

Ben Beckman Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    wouldn't be too bothered, you were playing outside.

"but we just took a break at that point for about 1 mmintue..wind was blwing too fast.( as we played outdoors...[​IMG])...then when we started again...score went upto 13-13..then i scored another point(14-13 now)..after that he reached 14-14...then he won the set 17-14......"

13. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    anyways there was this weierd tihng too..as we stopped for a minute...the guy sat down on floor....abdn told me hes meditating..but he was lughing.........i donoo he meant it or not.....:rolleyes:

SystemicAnomaly i am waiting for your reply...!

14. Anatolii

Anatolii Regular Member

sorry bout that :eek: i know that was reall silly o fme. what did your p.s mean? i was assuming you were too alarmed at your losing to your friend to play better.. so i recounted my little experience to you, and how it sorta worked .. :D

15. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    erm my p.s...(i hate self pitying) was related to( ( i know no one replies on my posts.:crying:)
    that actually i was pitying my self..whinning that no one replies...then ironically i said that i hate self pitying....[​IMG]...
    anyways...gopichand does that regular meditation.........? i mean what does he imagine during that meditation

secondly...that how do u play at your peak performance during the game...becuase obviously it is a lot difficult for me to do that....i cant play that well in a match....

16. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    Dear furgan,
    I read your posts. I fully understand your frustration...and the "replying thingies"...this is a "forum" which is not fast moving as "icq"...and it's christmas time that many of the knowlegable "experienced" members are "on leave" too...for replying...actually when i was a newbie, i never ever even expected to have someone read my post...let alone a reply

don't worry, be happy...it takes time for getting reply, if any.
    red

17. Jadon

Jadon Regular Member

Student
    Maybe the wind was blowing towards you :)

18. SystemicAnomaly

SystemicAnomaly Regular Member

pre-Occupied
    Meditation

Here it is! There are many types of meditations practiced in China, India & most other parts of the world. Some are religious in nature (such as repetitive prayer), however many are not really religious at all. Some are moving meditations, such as Tai Chi, whereas most are sitting meditations. Some of the sitting meditations require some yoga position where other just have you sitting comfortably. Altho' some use Yoga (& similar) meditations as part of a religious practice, many ppl use it as part of a philosophy apart from any religious context. They use it for pure personal development rather than as part of any religious beliefs.

Meditation is best if used on a daily basis, for 10 to 30 minutes at a time (once or twice a day). If possible, ppl often perform a sitting meditaion with eyes closed in a room with subdued lighting (but not usually totally dark). Obviously, this would be an off-court thing. On-court, you would perform a very brief mini-meditation, just to keep yourself calm/relaxed.

One of the most popular of the non-religious sitting meditations is TM (Transcendental Meditation). TM uses a silent mantra. The mantra used in TM is a nonsense (no meaning) word/phrase, consisting of 1 to 4 syllables. However, some other meditation styles use real words (repeatedly quietly or silently) such as re-lax, ,cla-ri-ty, inner-peace, har-mo-ny or any other word or phrase that can calm and possibly invigorate at the same time. On of the most well known mantras is Om. Om can be repeated silently, in a subdued (quiet) voice, or even out loud. It is drawn out as it is repeated so that both the O and the m are stretched out such that is take a few seconds for each repetition.

Other meditations focus on the breath instead of focusing on a mantra. Other types may focus on the navel or other part of the body. In most types of meditation, the breathing often becomes slow & regular, the hearbeat may also slow somewhat, the mind becomes very calm, yet aware (or alert). In an ideal meditative state, the mind often is not cluttered with thoughts (thinking no thoughts at all at times) yet it is very aware of its surroundings (even tho' the eyes may be closed). For more info, check these links:

http://www.rivermaya.com/sadhana.html

Types of meditations:
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/techniques.asp

Some common meditation techniques:
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/trans.asp
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/simple.asp
    http://www.abc-of-yoga.com/meditation/navel.asp

#18 SystemicAnomaly, Dec 30, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2004
  19. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    hmm ok thanks man.. i am gonna read them.

i asked on another place too, how can you make yourself achieve your peak performance during a game? play more and more games eh/?

20. speedy

speedy Regular Member

Actually om is a religious mantra and is applicable to hinduism and buddhism.

Just to clarify matters. Anyway u r always able to impart detailed explanations of useful matters.