Malaysian shuttlers to flop at 2005 WC

Discussion in 'World Championships 2005' started by Merlin2, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Merlin2

Merlin2 New Member

Why is it that Malaysia is such an enthusiastic and strong (in depth) badminton nation, yet also seem to produce "nearly men" - those who get to the latter stages of GP events but never win the big ones or win when it matters I.E 2002 Thomas Cup, World Champs 2003...

The last player I would consider a true champion from Malaysia was Rashid Sidek - and even he seemed to choke on the big occasion. That was a long time ago! When are they going to produce a really big/stand out player. If you compare them with China - since Zhao & Yang Yang they have had countless players - Sun Jun, Dong Jiong, Lin Dan,Ji Peng, Xia. Who have all won the major events

2. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Malaysia players are always some of the quickest, most skilled and talented players. In many ways I see them as similar to Indonesia but indonesia seem to always produce champions from a similar standard level.

For example Lee wan wah/Choong tan fook can beat anyone on their day, and frequently look unbeatable in their games for periods, but never seem to string a tournament, or sometimes even a match together.

WCH is the same for singles.

For INA I would day Sigit/Candra, are of similar level to LWW/CTF, on any one day, yet they have Won WC.

Taufik is even more incocnsistent than WCH, yet he has an OG gold Medal.

It is quite well known this has been the case.

They have Promising players all the time, recently as , LCW, KKK, Chew/Chan, but they never seem to do the deed.

Time will tell. FYI they have won the thomas cup several times, so they can do it as a team. Rashid even beat Zhao in 1992. But was he a champion?

It might be a cultural thing-The malaysians I know are all nice, very nice, too nice to be champions maybe??!

3. Merlin2

Merlin2 New Member

Wong as never won anything to be inconsistent. Taufik is the kind of player who peaks for the big tournaments - like Paul Erik Hoyer used to do. He is the best player in the world at the moment who can win the big ones. I tipped him for the Olympics and I think he will take the Worlds in 2005

4. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    Thanks for the vote of (no) confidence.

5. chibe_K

chibe_K Regular Member

Players from Malaysia, skillful and talented but not physically and mentally tough enough to win finals. They normally do well when they are fully charged, fight hard and then begin to feel fatigue when they reach semi-finals and start giving away points. Those are my theories, I could be wrong.

6. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

Next year when the World Championships come to Anaheim, Los Angeles, California, you can bet there will be many, many Taufik supporters(including myself) as there will be tons of Indonesians living here who will be coming in hordes to support him. Heck, basically when the Indonesian team comes, the dearth of supports is going to flow like never before. The last time the Indonesian team came(i believe in '91 or '92 when Ricky/Rexy, Joko, Susi Susanti and others came, there were lots of supporters. I believe they were playing the strong Malaysian squad at that time).
    It will be one big event for sure for the Indonesians in L.A. and southern California... :)

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Hahaha, everyone's entitled to their own opinion... sadly :)

8. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It's sad, you know, football (world rules, not Australian ... and soccer to some of you) is the most popular sport in Malaysia, yet we never seem to produce "any men", let alone "nearly men". We would have been overjoyed if we even got one "nearly man". I believe football is something England is very enthusiastic about as well.

Face it, it is a highly competitive world. I support the English football team ( sad to say, I can only support the Malaysian team only up to a certain level), who I think has for most times been among the best in the world, but they never fail to disappoint as well. I think the term "nearly men" fits there as well. Same can be said of the Spanish team.

Even the Chinese has to be disappointed with Lin Dan for having choked on his biggest occassion. If he wins every tournament but chokes at 2008 and 2012 Olympics, will he be a "nearly man" as well?

For every world-beater you produce, the rest of the world produces another handful. I feel proud that even if Malaysia does not have many world-beaters (you are wrong in saying Malaysia is strong in depth; we usually have at the most a few hanging around at the top), but they sit pretty among the elite and gain respect from other players as well. If there aren't any titles to prove it (although some would be nice and we do have some, I must add), that is enough for me.

9. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Do you have an explanation for this wilfred?

Is it cultural, Training, or Just luck that your best players weaknesses happen to have been their mental strength.

Training is the easy option to blame, but you have had many different international coaches in the past, yet the same problems seem to exist, so it cannot be the only reason.

10. extremepower

extremepower Regular Member

Help badminton players to enjoy badminton and affo
    Malaysia players.

I guess its complacency and lack of mental touch. Incentive is too good for them. Hunger is not as much as the other countries. Like the old days, the hunger to win and be successful is more.
    rgds.

11. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction

But why would their Hunger not be as good as other countries?
    Why are they complacent and lack touch?

We know these are the problems, but why?

12. jug8man

jug8man Regular Member

MultiTasked guy, Stress Addict, Leisure Bum, mad c

my take on this is a total diff view.

i put the blame on the 'cram-school' culture. this is where students develop memorizing skills but not so on developing 'real cognitive' abilities.

you all have heard lately (e.g. Darma's threads)........ malaysian youngsters are nowadays subjected to up to 11 hours a day of school+tuition. sometimes this doesnt even include time for revision and homework yet.
    everyday cram and cram information into their heads....

this ultimately does not produce thinking students / youngsters.... which is the base for our talent pool.

this is just my opinion tho. and may not cover the entire spectrum.

jug

13. jumpshot

jumpshot Regular Member

Back when I was young, we used to blame it on Bomo (curse/spell) :D

Anyway, it appears that cultural upbringing has a lot to do with it. Pardon my ignorance and correct me if I'm wrong. I don't think one could depend solely on badminton to raise a family (incl parents) in Malaysia. In other words, badminton is always a part-time indulgence. I read the articles by Tan Aik Huang on BC that you need to have stamina to last not just a few matches but the entire tournament. I think that's where the Malaysian shuttlers fall short. They just couldn't keep up physically to last the duration of the tournament.

14. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    It used to be that fitness is the main pitfall of Malaysian athletes. Malaysians are simply too lazy to gain fitness, plus the abundance and variety of delicious (often unhealthy) food do not help.

However, in recent times, I notice that Malaysian athletes in general are fitter and in consequence, put up better performances. Yet, more often than not, Malaysians still fail at the last hurdles. Why?

I believe Malaysians in general have inferiority complex. They are often satisfied with reaching the semifinal or final or some pre-determined target. Once the target is reached, some sort of relaxation sets in.

15. extremepower

msian players.

I notice that most malaysian players have fancy stuff either on the wrist or the next. Amazing. New fashion I guess. That shows the so called "arrogance". Anyway, its their life. If they are happy with being only semi finalist, who cares..... Lets enjoy our own game. Hopefully some one will shine in the future.

16. extremepower

msian players.

They may need more tongkat ali, bird nest, prata, nasi lemak, curry fish head, hor fun, bak kut teh, fukin mee, sarawak mee, tim sum, ikan bakar or teh tarik to win. Local temptations.

17. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

at least the Malaysian government and other officials are showing lots of sympathy and concern over the earthquake/tsunami tragedy...here's an article i found, IMO, it shows the appropriate attitude in these times of grief and tragedy..imagine this, the total death is nearing 50x, maybe will surpass that than the NY World Trade Center tragedy(2001)..

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2004/12/30/nation/20041230071411&sec=nation

18. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    *BUMP* I don't think what you say is fair though, chinese players also have 'fancy stuff either on the wrist or the ""neck"" not next :p'

19. the_way

the_way Regular Member

Malaysian player has everything to be a champion....If a msian player is on fire...he will advance to the final in a tournament without much perspiration...however......to be in final is good enough for him....

in the final match...msian player will definitely not concentrating on the game and does not possess the will and determination to fight in the match....he will be thinking of how famous he will get, the exuberant welcome by spectators at airport when he return to his country and the money...

well...i think what i have said sounds controversial to malaysian..but...just accept it if malaysian want to produce olympic champion in 2008

20. extremepower

msian players.

Sorry boss, Which uni are you studying? I was in wgong uni. Played in perth uni games in 1992. I am a malaysian myself. Check my profile. tks.