Kason Twister F9

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by ioxyg3n520, Mar 15, 2012.

1. DannyYan

DannyYan Regular Member

Human
    agreed agreed agreed

2. Pimpo

Pimpo Regular Member

From the spec it's like the Arcsaber 7, even balance and medium flex shaft and they market it as pin point accuracy. isn't the arcsaber 7 better? how's the power of the F9 compare to the arsaber 7?

3. Lucastth

Lucastth Regular Member

9 to 6
    Well it's is a rather light racket and [MENTION=93891]istringforyou[/MENTION] said, incredibly large sweetspot. Definitely good for arm swinging player.

And yes I think it's a bit overpriced, but it's worth the money. It's an exceptional racket.

4. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

I posted this question in the other FHF/CY gear thread too, but maybe it's more appropriate here.

What strings are people using with the Kason F9?
    I'm guessing a rougher string (e.g. zymax 65) at a slightly higher tension than normal would be a good combination. Rougher string for more control + higher tension than normal so as to minimize the time of the shuttle on the string bed (to compensate for the more flexible shaft)

5. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    I used NBG98 before at 26lbs and I think it's great. Currently, using BG66 but doesnt like the feel...

6. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Just strung my F9 today. I used a 22x21 pattern. Should it be 22x22? Seems like 22x21 leaves a bit of a gap at the bottom (or top) of the string bed.

7. ZeroSOFInfinity

ZeroSOFInfinity Regular Member

Same here. NBG98's high repulsion and slippery feel makes smashing a joy to behold.

8. xiaob

xiaob Regular Member

Used 26 lbs with BG66UM on my F9, suffered badly on net shots and too hard for me. First 2-3 games still can smash hard, thereafter done deal... :(

9. asraz

asraz Regular Member

Civil servant
    Whats ur main racket?

10. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    I have recently strung my another racket with Li Ning NS30 and found that it is also quite a good string...

11. xiaob

xiaob Regular Member

Have been using NS9000-S on BG66UM with 24 lbs.
    Tried my friend's Arcsaber FB strung at 26 lbs and I did fantastically on net shots and smashes with great control. However it ain't the same with F9.

12. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

Here's my review of the Kason F9 LTD. I strung mine with Zymax65 @ 24x26lbs. Original grip removed and replaced with 2 RKEP overgrips. Net weight comes in at ~95g.
    The structure of my review will be Front court, mid court, and back court. Skip to the summary section below if you're lazy to read the whole thing.

Back court
    This thing is a smashing "machine". It just gives you the drive to smash every shuttle that comes to the back court. That can be a good and bad thing. The good thing is that you can make yourself more attacking in your play. The bad thing is that your shot variety may decrease. What I would say is that it takes discipline to control yourself - to play the right shots at the right time. But then again, it is a real testament to the power this racket can give. It is the most powerful racket I have used (previous rackets ranged from Yonex VT80, AT600, Arc8DX, Victor MX60 etc). It is not the most head heavy, but still turns out the most powerful.

The accuracy is pretty good too. In my opinion, this is due to the large sweet spot and overall stability of the racket head. The feel on drop shots is slightly different to anything I have used before. What I find with the F9 is that drop shots do tend to land closer to the net, so some changes are needed if I want my shots to land further from the net (i.e. steeper angle etc).

Mid court
    Again, the racket has power. I find that drives can fly back at opponents with good speed and accuracy. It is also reasonably fast, and may even be on par with the likes of a Victor BS12, RKEP XP and Pro series etc. Despite the power it can give, the racket still glides through the air (meaning it is not sluggish in movement).

Defense is also good. Whilst the racket is not the lightest around, it does not feel heavy at all compared to something like a Yonex VT80 or Victor MX60. Most players won't have a problem playing consecutive defensive shots.

Front court

There was a lot of discussion about this racket being poor at the net. This worried me as I enjoy playing at mid court and the front court. However, I'm pleased that the F9 did not turn out as bad as I was expected. It is certainly different from other "front court rackets" like the Yonex Arc7 (the best front court racket in my experience) but it is not a "bad" kind of different. It does not deter me from playing net shots or going for net kills (other rackets like the Yonex VT80 does deter me). However, the flex shaft does take time to get used to. The timing on net kills needs to be adjusted BUT if you can adjust well then you'll do well.

Again, as at the mid court, the racket is quick in front. Interceptions are reasonably good and what's even better is that your kills will have oomph because of the power.

Summary

-The F9 is a flexible racket with even to slight head heavy balance.
    -It is powerful. If you are an arm smasher, you have to try the F9.
    -It is quick. Despite the power it can give, it does not lag behind in fast rallies.
    -Net shots are different but it does not totally take away one's confidence at the net.
    -If you find that the F9 performs poorly at the net, my personal recommendation is that you string the racket with a rough string (e.g. Zymax65, BG85, VS850 etc). These will give you the added feel and control needed with control shots.
    -If you find that the F9 lacks power, then you should be reminded that the racket was designed and made for one of the best smashers in the game. Furthermore, Fu Haifeng won the gold medal in London2012 with the racket. So it's not that the racket lacks power, but just that you require a different racket to suit your power play.

#72 llpjlau, May 7, 2013
    Last edited: May 7, 2013
  13. xiaob

xiaob Regular Member

That's a great write up buddy.
    I restring my F9 from 26lbs to 24lbs and loving it now.
    Not only smashes were more powerful, but the recovery to continue on subsequent smashes was just great. Net shots were better too probably due to softer tension that suits me hand.
    Defense was a lot quicker too and managed to return hard smashes back to opponent's baseline.
    Overall a great racket... gonna be keeping it a little longer :)

14. ZeroSOFInfinity

This racket is the best I've ever used for doubles play. Once you used it, you will never go back to another racket :D

15. Himari

Himari Regular Member

IT
    I love F9 so much that from the one I've been using, I have ordered 2 more, another as a backup racquet if my 1st one's string broken, the last one is for collection :D

16. xiaob

xiaob Regular Member

Bro you are a F9 freak.. LOL

17. llpjlau

llpjlau Regular Member

F9 regular or F9 LTD?
    How much did you pay?

18. Himari

Himari Regular Member

IT
    The regular ones, haven't tested the LTD yet, it doesn't seem to be different though ;)

Price is around US$ 400+

19. davlee

davlee Regular Member

Sales
    What??? USD 400+ ??? In Malaysia, you can get about 3 times cheaper!!!

20. ZeroSOFInfinity

Uh, not to be a party pooper, but you just overpaid for a racket..... you can get like $150 for the Ltd edition.