Asthma...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by VagueEntity, Dec 31, 2004.

1. VagueEntity

VagueEntity New Member

Student, 13
    I have asthma. For those who know what it is please give me some advise. For my form of asthma it gets in the way just enough to make me "wheeze" even if I take the "puffer" it isnt quite enough to surpress my asthma when I am really "trying" or running, etc. In addition to how tired it makes you since it has to elimate the mucus inside your lungs. Even if i take the "puffer" before doing something, if I do heavy running, (i.e. 800m sprint) I choke mildly, but enough to either make me stop and try to breathe normally or if gone far enough without stopping, faint. Usually I just stop and breathe for about 5 minutes until I feel "normal" but the frustrating thing is I simply dont feel much "tired". I have felt tired when hiking or anything like that when I am prolonged to do something, but while running on the court I just am unable to keep my breath. Dont get me wrong I am a slightly above avarage running in both terms of stamina and speed, compared with my peers at school due to the fact that I play around 2-4 times per week for about 1-3 hours, and my weight is pretty avarage. Its just its annoying getting scolded by my coach when he sees I am unable to breathe and even if I tell him he does not fully understand. I usually get quite annoyed simply due to the fact that I am not able to continue. If anyone out there knows how to cope with asthma while playing, with or without using the puffer, please give me advise.

2. skates

skates Regular Member

Designer. Also working with Lee Jae Bok promoting
    Hi there

At 13 you might find your asthma improves as you get older. A lot of kids here in the UK have asthma and it's a big problem. I had a lot of breathing troubles when I was your age but found that it didn't restrict me too much in sports. Do you take preventive medicine as well as your inhaler? Over here we have two prescription medicines Ventolin ( Salbutamol ) and Becotide ( both brand names). The Ventolin is for when you have an attack. The Becotide is a long term preventative and is supposed to help prevent attacks.

Taking your inhaler before you exert yourself sometimes helps.
    It's difficult to advise since people have different types of asthma. some people are OK with exercise but have a problem with dust or dog / cat hair etc. Keep working on your general level of fitness. Try to look at Alternative
    remedies for your condition.

Try not to get annoyed. I don't think your coach would scold you if he truly understood your situation. Try talking to him quietly about it. Many people have asthma and still enjoy sports. I know of at least one person on this forum personally who has asthma and he plays Badminton to a high standard.

Very best regards

Skates

#2 skates, Dec 31, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2004
  3. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Yup I too have asthma quite badly but after a while your body gets used to the exertion and you can cope easily, take it a stage at a time.

It was very bad when young meaning I couldn't run far or sprint in races etc.

The key is to take a puff or two before exercise so you are preventing the onset of an attack and giving yourself a good chance of being able to cope with sports.

This year during the summer I started running (only a 2.2 mile circuit) before coaching my juniors on a Saturday morning and found I could do it quite easily, compared to running when I was 18 or so which I was breathing through my arse at the mere mention of a jog in the park.

Fair enough doing 2.2 in around 17 minutes is quite poor by some peoples standards but I think it is quite good for a fat asthmatic ;)

I also find that instead of using an inhaler I would find it beneficial to take a cold drink, water was often the best but sometimes a very cold fizzy drink on the throat somehow feels soothing. Probably psychological that one but it worked for me.

4. VagueEntity

VagueEntity New Member

Student, 13
    Thanks

Thanks for the advise, the "cold fizzy water" thing I think I'll try out. Well anyways to what you said my asthma is unique unlike other asthma patients. My asthma has a bigger effect on my left lung so it therefore puts more stress onto it. Its hard to explain the feeling but try and grasp the picture. I do take the 2 medicines you have mentoned, but the thing is it does help but when I asked the doctor for a "stronger verison" he said he was unnesserity unless I really needed it. I guess I'll simply try to do more stamina training. Since now more than ever the sports I do require so much more endurance than most things I may have done in elemenary. Anyways, Thank You for your comments.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Once you've tried that, when you see your doctor, you need to discuss a few things.

If you are posting on this forum, I assume that sports is an important part of your lifestyle. Your asthma is therefore affecting you lifestyle. If you feel it is very restrictive, it would not be unreasonable to ask for better control to improve your Quality of Life.

(letters in bold are deliberate - use these exact words)

Perhaps a better way of delivering the drug to your lungs may help - e.g. a spacer device, -

then you may consider a slightly more potent anti-inflammatory.

Of course, your doctor may also be considering the side-effect profile of any stronger drugs so this is something to bear in mind.

The badminton great, Morten Frost, had asthma. He was almost unbeatable in 1984.

6. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Daley Thompson the worlds greatest athlete also had asthma and he competed in the decathlon.

The key is to build your training up a little at a time, do not overwhelm yourself or put yourself under unecessary stress.

But in theory the more you do something the more used to it your body becomes so even if you just stick in there your body and asthma will adapt and not be triggered so easily.

7. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    mmm.

Try eating crocodile meat in the form of soup / roast meat or something like that. Chinese medicine reccomends that for asthma. I've heard indonesians or thais say that it increases one's strength as well.

My mom would reccomend it for asthma though :p

8. VagueEntity

VagueEntity New Member

Student, 13
    Croco meat interesting but as most people would say "Not on your life buddy!" :p, either way I could never find croco meat where I live and I personally dont think I'll ever eat meat from something thats both scaley and green :eek:. Oh and sorry for being a tinge sterotypical, but its just I cant ever dream of eating croco meat. :D

9. michaelavich

michaelavich Regular Member

I have asthma as well although it has gottne better with age. I have two medicines: a ventolin puffer which I use as needed which is not often thanks to my amazing turbuhaler which I take daily. I'm not sure if doctors prescribe this to young kids or if there would be any doping issues if you are competing at a high level as it is a bit of a steroid.

10. sslam72

sslam72 Regular Member

Chronic asthma

I've suffered from chronic asthma since i was 5.

Over the years, I've used becotide and seretide preventers and ventolin/slabutamol relievers.

I've noticed that when I'm stressed or under any pressure, my asthma is worse and something as simple as sneezing can bring it on.

To combat it, I've always tried to cross train and keep fit (stamina exercise such as swimming, cycling, jogging help), eating a low fat and reasonably healthy diet. I've tried to increase my mental toughness too to help me remain calm and learn breathing techniques.

Due to my stressful lifestyle (long working hours, stressful job etc), I'm now taking Singulair (Montelukast Sodium) as prescribed by my doctor. I take it 2 hours before doing any exercise and it lasts for up to 8 - 10 hours.

It works 95% of the time. If I'm already asthmatic before taking it, it is less effective.

Don't worry about too much, as someone else mentioned, asthma can wear off with age. Keep fit, stay healthy!