Frame Repair for rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chrisfong89, Apr 21, 2011.

1. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The whole world hasn't turned orange all of a sudden :p. Last time I saw it, it was still strung with a pink string ...
    NBG95 comes in orange in Japan though (to name an orange string; Ashaway has some older model(s) in orange as well)

2. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    Going with BG80P from the distributor, it'll likely be changed to Zymax 65 black soon though.

3. TheNotoriousLIG

TheNotoriousLIG Regular Member

Student
    I had an mx80 repaired a little while ago for about £20 from Electre sports in the UK and I have been playing with it since without any problems. It came back 3mm more HH and 0.75 grams heavier which isn't that much and actually worked pretty well for me as my tastes in racquets are more towards HH and kind of heavy racquets. Because the crack was in the 2 o'clock position the racquet isn't perfect balanced along the shaft and the repaired side is slightly heavier than the other side although the difference isn't noticeable when using it and I only noticed when I had it on a bench once and I noticed it was slowly rolling till the 'heavy' side faced downwards and this took between 4-6 seconds so it is not a major difference at all and I think even the most sensitive players would have difficulty noticing it.

However, annoyingly and worryingly, the new grommet hole isn't in the right place and this has resulted in the cross and main string that pass through it being very noticeably skewed at an angle to the rest of the strings which irks me a fair amount as I worry it's not going to be able to take the higher tensions I used to use with this racquet before the break and I tend to be extra careful every time I get this hole when stringing it for fear of breaking it again. It does play very very similarly to before the break though, with some faint odd vibrations which I think are caused by hitting the skewed strings rather than a problem with the frame. The racquet is as solid as before though and it didn't deform at all after I had strung it but I try to err on the side of caution whenever I string a racquet.

For £20, I have got my £120 racquet back with only very minor differences in playing with it that to me are very easy to ignore all things considered and I use this racquet as a backup/ demanding club game racquet where there is a risk of damaging the racquet but I still need the benefits one gains from a top racquet due to tough competition so I would recommend trying the service if like me you have/had an expensive broken racquet just gathering dust as it is much much cheaper than buying a new one although it won't play or feel quite as good as the original unbroken racquet and this is something you must remember. But if you look at it as buying a racquet for £20, suddenly you are getting tremendous value for your money and it's better than buying a new cheap/mid-end racquet for back up or risk purposes as you sacrifice less of the benefits you gain from your high end racquets and you don't have the broken racquet using up space or causing clutter but it's up to you. Everyone will I'm sure have their own experiences and may not agree with me which is fine. I am only sharing my personal experience.

4. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Hi together,
    that member was me. ;)

The linked forum does not exist anymore.
    I made my own website and here are 2 fixing-instruktions on my page:
    www.badminton-tips.de
    On the second instruction you see me playing with a repaired racket an my selfmade badminton-tool.

If you like one or both instruktions, please give me feedback on my page.

bye,
    thegrobi

5. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Which method do you prefer ?

6. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    I prefer v2.

It is much faster to handle and the result looks better.
    But not every result of v2 "survive" as long as v1. Maybe, if you take a better glue. I took the cheapest superglue which i found. In future i will test 2komponent glue.

bye,
    thegrobi

7. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

I will try method 2 with my armortec500 and arcsaber11. Will use 2 component epoxy glue (Bison and steel rivets

8. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    The glue seems o.k.
    Good if it is more jelly-like than liquid to fill and stay in empty rooms (inside the racket).
    The steel rivets be maybe not long enough. The have to be 2,5 x 45 mm.
    And they have to get a bow like the racketframe before it is pushed in the frameholes.

Would be nice, if everybody who enjoyes my method, give a feedback on my page:
    www.badminton-tips.de

bye,
    thegrobi

9. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    yea it's over, i had an aerotus70 that has a similar cracked, tried everything to restore the frame shape, restrung it fine, one heavy shot, gone! if it's a racket you really like and cherish, i would recommend you cut the string and hang it up, sorry, maybe i'm just a weird person who likes to see my rackets hung on a wall :(

10. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Don´t be frustrated. Try my repair-V2 with steelnails and a good 2k-glue.

Hope you have not done too much with the broken frame what can disable a long survive.

bye,
    thegrobi
    www.badminton-tips.de

11. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Tried the repair V2 on my armortec500... Made a mistake though, I did not let the glue harden before putting the frame on the pins. So perhaps the pin distribution is not 50/50.

After letting the 2k-glue harden completely the joint seems very firm. During stringing I did not notice any strange sounds or deformation. B.T.W. The racket was broken at the 3 o'clock position.

Will give it a spin tonight to see how it plays. I did find it to have become really head heavy and ofcourse the weight distribution is wrong as well as one side wants to be lowest when holding it.

I also did notice when stressing the frame (glue was not completely hardened after 2 hours) from the sides that it was still very obvious where it had cracked and it was a weak spot.

But as I said, after letting it rest for a days the 2K glue did harden out completely (instructions said 30 minutes, but that was not the case).

Will let you know the final results, and if it survives a couple of hard hits.

Apart from the outcome I will try another racket as well, and not make the same mistakes.

12. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    Yes, that is the impatience. We wish to use the racket as far as possible (maybe before). :rolleyes:

I always weight the racket before and after fixing.
    After mostly 2-3 gramms more.
    With one overgrip it is no more head heavy.
    Side-Disbalance stays, but is no problem for me.

Maybe not the right glue.
    I got today a new glue, wich i will test.
    An other one i tested seems strong, but was not stiff enough. The frame bows.

I hope so.
    Please give me feedback here!

bye,
    thegrobi
    www.badminton-tips.de

#32 thegrobi, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  13. mvdzwaan

mvdzwaan Regular Member

Racket survived the session, but it did feel too heavy. Side-disbalance was no issue. Don't know if it was always this head heavy, will weigh the used nails and the glue to see how much I added.

14. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member

Badminton Coach
    To weigh the used nails, you will need to kill the racket. :crying:
    Better you will weigh the same sort of nails. :rolleyes:

On a digital kitchen scale they will show 1-2 g (together).

bye,
    thegrobi
    www.badminton-tips.de

15. Tushar Mittal

Tushar Mittal New Member

I have yonex nanospeed sigma
    It crashed while playing in doubles
    PLEASE HELP ME
    CAN ANYTHING CAN BE DONE TO REPAIR IT

Attached Files:

16. thegrobi

thegrobi Regular Member