2013 Yonex CANADA Open GP : Qualification-FINAL (16th-21st July 2013)

Discussion in 'US / Canada Open 2013' started by CLELY, Jul 16, 2013.

1. volcom

volcom Regular Member

This player is Taufik?

2. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Correct. BWF fiddled 12 years ago. BWF presumably had no clear guidelines for dealing with the situation. I would like to think that BWF has evolved into a more professional and responsible organisation with clear policies and the ability to enforce those policies.

It's one thing to want to come across as compassionate and understand and all of that, which at a personal level even I wold love to endorse. It is something else for an International organisation to set in stone rules and regulations that are porous, because this just invites trouble sooner or later.

BWF has learnt nothing yet if it does not understand the value of deterrent punishment. Everyone will cry and scream but will quickly settle down because no one in their right mind will want to invite that punishment.

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    some interesting points in the full article

Badminton goes bad

Yvonne Bohwongprasert
    July 30, 2013

http://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opinion/362126/badminton-goes-bad

Excerpts:

...The question is whether young athletes have any national pride left. Could those responsible for grooming them not only focus on honing their talents but also prepare them to take responsibility for and...

...Veteran French sports photographer Raphael Sachetat, who admires Thai badminton players, said the brawl took him by surprise because he always found Thais to be polite and graceful athletes. His take on the issue_hire a mental...

...With an increased number of badminton players today, an example has to be set so future athletes know the ramifications of such behaviour.

4. thunder.tw

thunder.tw Regular Member

Personally I agree with the lighter suspensions (6 months or so). While I was shocked to see fighting in a badminton tournament I disagree that this is much of a scandal. It gave those prone to gossip something to talk about and that's about it. The buzz has already faded and in six months nobody is going to remember what happened between two second rate players at some obscure tournament. I don't see much of a scandal and certainly nothing damaging to the game on anything close to the scale of what happened at the Olympics.

5. thunder.tw

LOL, yup two players from a second tier country in some third rate tournament have a slapfest and whole sport is going down the toilet. I guess we'll ignore the cheating and match fixing during the Olympic qualifier process and the Olympic scandal itself. This "writer" is basically screaming about some kid pissing in the Ganges.

6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    I think you've entirely missed the point this writer was attempting to make. It wasn't so much about the slapfest itself, as how it was allowed to happen, the leadup, the absence of a system that identifies and deals with the signs of such behaviour, and that educates and supports pro players on how to deal with their issues on and off-court.

Most associations claim they have all such support structures in place, but its a very moot point as to how efficient and present those structures are, and how well they in turn are integrated into the enforcement policies of the association.

LOL! No, lets not ignore the cheating and fixing of Olympic proportions! BWF left the "backdoor" open to allow the entire fiasco -have they shut it? What is BWF going to do about the slapfest? Was the "punishment" provided by BWF and for that matter, some of the NAs involved any more than a slap on the wrist? It all boils down to whether the authorities in question have their priorities in order and if they have the desire and resources available to enforce any rules they make -and how effective those rules actually are.

A 3-month ban? That's more like an unexpected holiday! Sooner or later all associations and players are going to find ways to make things even more interesting than just a slapfest.

I'm willing to bet you, that illegal betting is already into badminton in some parts of the world, and they are gonna get even more organised with the leagues gaining momentum. Is anyone even thinking of pre-empting that situation???

7. thunder.tw

Do you realy dispute the fact that the writer is trying to say that this incident is indication of some decay in international badminton. Do you need me to supply you with a quote where she asserts that directly? How about her account of the 'fight' as an 'exchange' of body blows. LOL this 'brawl' consisted of a brief chase followed by 3 slaps and a kick delivered by one player to another laying in a half fetal position. All Bodin needed was an apron and a rolling pin and you would have had your typical minor domestic dispute.

I think it's silly to take one incident and blow it out of all proportion and make it out to be some systemic issue. OMG passion in badminton. But, I guess you're right after all such bad behavior has been terrible for Hockey, The NBA, MLB and the NFL.

I guess in other sports played by men passions run high an altercation happens and everyone moves on. Where as in a game played by boys such and event must lead to hand wringing and therapy for all those involved.

Yes a cluster of associations with a cluster of rules and standards applied on a seemingly random basis. In English we have a word that describes that, it's called a cluster****. The National associations are a big part of the problem and the most constructive thing the could do for the good of the game is disband.

Nah 6 is appropriate, you have to look at harm to the game. This is nothing.

No because they will be too busy obsessing over minutia to actually do something about issues that actually pose a real threat to the credibility of the game.

8. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

Shouldn't there be a statement from the bwf by now?

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    ^ Its a weekend. Time to chill. ;)

10. Ton-Min-Bad

Ton-Min-Bad Regular Member

A little bit of entertaining news wouldn't hurt either. :)

My guess is that they decided to wait for the end of the WC before releasing a statement about this incident.

11. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

BWF's verdict is out. 2 years for Bodin and 3 months for Maneepong.

So same thing as BAT's punishment.

12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=75955

Excerpt:

Both sanctions are effective from the date of the incident – Sunday 21 July – and the players have 21 days in which to appeal.

In addition, Issara will forfeit the world-ranking points and prize money earned from the said event.

The 22-year-old was found to have breached five sections of the BWF Players’ Code of Conduct: Sections 4.1 (Inappropriate Conduct); 4.14 (Oral Abuse); 4.15 (Physical Abuse); 4.16 (Unsportsmanlike Conduct) and 5.1 (Conduct contrary to the integrity of the game).

Jongjit (also age 22), was found guilty of breaching Sections 4.1 (Inappropriate Conduct); 4.14 (Oral Abuse) and 4.16 (Unsportsmanlike Conduct), after the Disciplinary Committee reviewed video footage and written evidence, including statements from both players, Thailand team officials and tournament officials.

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Did Issara's partner still get paid his prize money?

14. thunder.tw

LOL, prize money? For the Canadian Open? I think he used it to buy chocolate bars and gum at the airport on the way home.

15. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

$1900 for runner up so $950 each. That's a lot of chocolate and gum:D. But still $950 is a very decent wage in Thailand for a weeks work.