Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LD partnering with LXR for Mixed doubles...

[video=youtube;M9pB_-7zT7c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9pB_-7zT7c[/video]

2. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

http://sports.qq.com/a/20130802/018572.htm This article gives LYB's latest take on Lin Dan.

Li Yongbo: Lin Dan resists transforming into a coach

This World Championships to determine Lin Dan's career

The topic of Lin Dan never leaves Li Yongbo whenever you interview him. To the Head Coach, this year's World Championships is of great significance to Lin Dan. "30 years of age is a turning point in one's life, for Lin Dan it's also a fresh start,if he plays well he may continue his badminton career, if not well or lamentably... for me I naturally hope he carries on." Regarding Lin Dan's current form, LBY admits he is declining in ability, esp with respect to his leg strength, court movement and change of pace.

On Lin Dan's prospects at this World Championships, the reply given by Li Yongbo is:" In Round 2 he will encounter stiff resistance from a Japanese contestant, once overcome, whoever he meets next should be relatively easier, but this (R2) match may well decide his badminton career."

As his respected teacher, LYB 's plan for Lin Dan post-retirement is to transform him into a coach, " He himself doesn't like it, wait for him to really retire before we properly discuss it. From my point of view, I wish he would never leave badminton. During my time, I too didn't think of becoming a coach, still I ended up choosing this path. We have players like Chen Long and Li Xuerui, but once Lin Dan leaves badminton, the social value of this platform will diminish. The Chinese badminton platform is the best stage for him. The moment he chooses to leave will be the beginning of his gradual fading into oblivion."

3. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Now that the stiff resistance from Tago which was expected earlier, LD has a much smoother road in the competition it seems?;)

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Since K Tago has withdrawn, in that case, Chong Wei Feng, his likely R3 opponent, will be Lin Dan's first big hurdle that may decide the fate of his career.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I think in that Chinese article the reporter may have misquoted LYB as saying that should Lin Dan overcome his R2 opponent (i.e. K Tago before he withdrew due to injury), his next round opponent is relatively easier. IMO, Chong Wei Feng, seeded 15th whom he is likely to face in R3, isn't in any way easier meat than K Tago, seeded 5th.

In fact, Lin Dan has humbly said he won't take any opponent lightly from the very first round. He is well aware that lesser known players in big events such as the Olympics and World Championships can spring a surprise. Believe it or not, both he and LYB have said they are mentally prepared for his possible first-round elimination.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^ LYB and LD always downplay their expectations and plans leading up to big events like WC and OG. This helps to deflect additional pressures on them to perform and also to catch their opponents off guard. ;)

Anyone who watched the post WC game interview last year will know what I mean. ;)

#3926 visor, Aug 3, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
    congratz to Lin Dan...5 times World Champion...equal with Park Joo Bong.

8. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

9. Fortune

Fortune Regular Member

student
  10. WingsAir

WingsAir Regular Member

University Student
  11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I'm still in disbelief, speechless and amazed at the same time. For Lin Dan to be out of competition for 6-8 months and without proper training for first 6 out of the 8 months, then to come back and almost immediately win the world championship beating the in-form WR#1,Lee CW, and #2,Chen Long, is unprecedented in the history of badminton. How did he do it? Apart from his prodigious talent,I'd attribute it to his tremendous willpower, self-discipline, dedication, a strong sense of duty and responsibility, willingness to work hard and intelligence that make him such an exceptional champion.

I've underestimated him, wrongly assuming his waning motivation will be his main drawback and that his short (about 2-3 months) intensive training regimen may be insufficient for him to be match-fit at such a high level of competition but he proved me wrong by winning his 5th World Championship by working out a new strategy, a new style of play which I call Lin Dan version 3, that best suits his present age and physical condition.

Bravo,Super Dan ! You Are The Greatest Ever !

12. jkkwongnz

jkkwongnz Regular Member

doctor
    I agree that he is really amazing. He understand the game more than anybody else. He has switched his style of winning from 100m sprinter to marathon runner. To win world champion at age of 30, he has to put his stamina as priority. He basically outrun LCW in the last year world championship, London 2012 and this year world championship. The pattern is consistently similar. He basically keep the pace with LCW in the first game and put more energy to game 2 as well as the second half of game 3. He is a very intelligent player.

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Like I said: well rested ;):p. V3? V2.2 more like it ...

#3933 demolidor, Aug 12, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  14. visor

visor Regular Member

Agree with many others amazement and disbelief that LD can take the title after not competing for 6-9 months. That just shows how incredibly dominant he is in this sport.

Just like Michael Schumacher in F1 racing, Tiger Woods in golf, or Lance Armstrong in cycling (that was before the truth came out ;).)

But anyways, if anyone looks up the pinnacle of badminton, LD's picture will no doubt be always there at the very top.

15. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

Congratulations for the 3rd major title in a row! :)

16. gogor

gogor Regular Member

with the help of wc, cl & ac (wild card, chen long & air conditioning)

17. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, I could get a wild card and a first round gifted victory against Chen Long and I'd still go out in the second round :D One match that might or might not be fixed didn't make him the Champion, and neither is he a snake that gets faster the hotter it gets, so the AC bothered him just the same as LCW.
    Also, everyone is fast to overlook the fact that playing against team mates is the only time CL doesn't get coached....all his victories (most over LCW) came with the coaches helping him out before and during the match, working out strategies before and pointing out weaknesses or adapting the strategy during. Against Lin Dan, no one helps him. That's where Lin Dan's experience comes in handy - he doesn't (really) need a coach (anymore).

18. thekong

thekong Regular Member

Before the Final, I also had the feeling that CL was not doing his best against LD. Either due to his respect or awe towards LD, CL simply had must less of his usual aggressive attacks!

However, after watching the Final, I come to believe it was due to LD’s superior control on the shuttle. Even LCW could not make as many attacks as usual! As CL played with LD day in and day out, he probably knew it would be suicide if he launched those attacks blindly. The exceptional defense and counter attack by LD would kill him in an instance!

19. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei retires on match point in world c'ships final

Published on Aug 11, 2013
    8:34 PM

• [​IMG]

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20130811/Li Dan8e.jpg
      China's Lin Dan has now won his fifth world title, although he was unseeded at this year's event because of his low world ranking following months of inaction after last year's Olympics. -- PHOTO: REUTERS

[​IMG]

http://www.straitstimes.com/sites/straitstimes.com/files/20130811/Lee Chong1e.jpg
      Malaysian world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei stunned the badminton world when he retired on championship point in the men's singles final at the world championships on Sunday. -- FILE PHOTO: AFP

GUANGZHOU (China) - Malaysian world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei stunned the badminton world when he retired on championship point in the men's singles final at the world championships on Sunday.

He had been trailing China's Lin Dan 21-16, 13-21, 17-20 when he decided he could not carry on further owing to injury.
      Lee's retirement means Lin has now won his fifth world title, although he was unseeded at this year's event because of his low world ranking following months of inaction after last year's Olympics.

In the women's doubles, the defending champions, Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang of China, had opened the proceedings by beating Korean eighth seeds Eom Hye Won and Jang Ye Na 21-14, 18-21, 21-8 to retain their title.

20. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Lin takes world title after Lee retires hurt

20130811_lindan.jpg

[​IMG]

China's Lin Dan, (R), draped in a Chinese national flag, kisses his wife Xie Xingfang during the awards ceremony after winning his men's singles final against Malaysia's Lee Chong Wei at World Badminton Championships in Guangzhou, south China's Guangdong province on August 11, 2013.

AFP
    Sunday, Aug 11, 2013

GUANGZHOU - Chinese superstar Lin Dan took the badminton world title for a fifth time Sunday after his arch rival Lee Chong Wei was stretchered off the court in the third game.

The current world number one from Malaysia dropped to his haunches at 16-19 down and tried to recover but had to retire from the match at 20-17 - leaving Lin, who is world and Olympic champion, to take the title 16-21, 21-13, 20-17.

Lee had been hoping to end a run of high-profile defeats at the hands of Lin - widely regarded as the game's best-ever player - who beat him in the previous world title men's singles final and in the two last Olympic finals.

Lin, 29, known as "Super Dan", was making his comeback at the tournament with a controversial wildcard place after a year on the sidelines to spend time with his family.

The two badminton legends put on a brilliant display in the first set in front of a packed Tianhe gymnasium in the southern Chinese city of Guangzhou.

Lin took an early lead, leaving the crowd gasping with an almost involuntary lightning reflex return at the net to go 5-3 up. The return was so quick that he hardly seemed to know about it himself.

Lee got back on level terms but Lin got the better of a titanic rally to go into the break 11-10 up.

The two stayed neck and neck, showing off their best badminton - a nimble Lee leaping around the court and Lin moving fluidly often at full stretch to reach the Malaysian's well-placed shots.

Lee pulled ahead with Lin berating himself after putting a return long to go behind 14-18, and the Malaysian capitalised to take the first game 21-16.

Lin came out fighting in the second, romping to a merciless 11-1 lead with Lee leaving shots to go long that dropped just in.

As the temperature soared in the stadium with the air conditioning seemingly off during the second game, the crowd fanned themselves furiously and Lee battled to catch up, but Lin took the second 21-13.

Lee came out fighting in the third game with the temperature in the stadium still roasting hot. Lin winced as he hit the net again to drop 4-8 behind.

But the defending champion battled back, with precision shots to the baseline sailing past Lee to go into the break 11-10 up.

The battle ended after Lin went 19-16 up in the third with a smash down the line and Lee crouched down on his haunches.

Lee's legs were sprayed by a doctor called onto the court, and he won the next point with lightning returns before dropping to the floor again in the middle of the next point.

The crowd shouted his name in encouragement and Lin went over to his opponent's side of the court to speak to him. But the umpire announced the Malaysian was retiring injured at 20-17, leaving a shirtless Lin to celebrate while Lee was stretchered off.