The Talking Point: Air Conditioning!

Discussion in 'World Championship 2013' started by gelee, Aug 11, 2013.

1. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

Doubt LD was away from badminton for long. Only that he didn't participate in badminton much.
    He isn't superhuman....just went off the radar to make his comeback more dramatic.

2. gelee

gelee Regular Member

I dont think anyone is whining per say....I am a fan of both, im a fan of badminton and I love the rivalry between LD and LCW, 2 superior exciting athletes going toe-to-toe, never seen before in badminton. I get up at odd hours 3-4am just to watch these gladiators go at each other in the game of badminton. I have huge huge respect for these 2, exciting stuff.

Some of the LD fans in BC here are taking their stance on this AC thing way too defensively. For instance, when LD wiped the floor with LCW at 2008 Olympics, I am sure no one made any scandalous type comments but instead, we just marveled at LD's superior skill and speed. Same deal with both times LD triumphing over LCW in the WC2011 and Olympics 2012 in 3 games, again we were all in awe of the high level of badminton that were displayed during these matches and personally, I was amazed with LD's warrior type mental strength as skill wise, there isnt much that separates these 2 players.

Now for the reason I made this thread, I cannot tolerate cheating in a professional sport setting. I was particularly furious at the organizers when GC made some scandalous comments during the game about the AC being turned off at a particular 'strategic' time. Anyone with a common sense and capable of thinking objectively would know that LD would gain the most out of this considering LCW's semi-final schedule and opponent, court drift in game 2, more so if LD has knowledge of this.

If indeed the allegations are true that the organizers pulled a quick one with the AC, im just lost for words...

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    agreed.

however, i think it is OK to discuss and not agree as long as the appropriate tone is used in the posting and the language used is civilized and the heat level is low.

it is also important to be reminded that during discussion like this to step back and try to look at the situation objectively or look at different aspects of the whole match. and also think from the other side's viewpoint.

if that's doesn't work, then perhaps we are just heading into a deadend afterall.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

We now have a new BWF President in Poul-Erik Hoyer Larsen who was a professional player and Olympic Champion - he knows badminton inside out. I trust he can handle badminton-related grievances in a most judicious manner. Just write to him.:)

5. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Interesting, they had 7 days of competition, and it didn't occur to them that there was drift until after LCW won the first game against LD in the final? why would they want to turn off the A/C when it is a full house on Sunday? isn't that a bit curious?

TSB didn't complain about turning off the A/C per se. His complaint is two-fold: (1) scheduling the semi final against DuPY late at night in the semi final, and (2) turning off the A/C knowing LCW played against DuPY late last night. End result -> exhaustion/cramp!!!!

6. MelvIndonesia

MelvIndonesia Regular Member

Student
    Tontowi/Liliyana was scheduled in the last match in Semifinal (after LCW vs Pengyu)
    and they played before LCW's match in the final..
    so,the rest time for Tontowi/Liliyana is shorter than LCW's

7. gelee

gelee Regular Member

Quoted below straight from TSB's mouth;

“A defeat is a defeat. I can accept it but I cannot tolerate the organisers switching off the air conditioner in the second game.

“It was so hot inside and Chong Wei was dehydrated. This led to him suffering cramps.During the second game when we realised that it was too hot, we wanted to protest and we asked for an explanation from both the BWF (Badminton World Federation) and the organisers."

http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badminton/2013/08/11/raging-seu-bock-angry-at-air-con.aspx

8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    So why did they not turn off the A/C during Tontowi/Liliyana's match in the final?

#208 pcll99, Aug 13, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  9. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

Exactly. Tontowi/Liliyana were even more disadvantaged than LCW yet they won and didn't complain.

10. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    thanks. i got my info from the Chinese website:

http://sports.qq.com/a/20130813/001638.htm

The following article states that both the Referee and the Manager of the event both didn't know about the decision to turn off the A/C:

http://sports.sina.com.cn/o/2013-08-13/15106722279.shtml

11. bad's fan

bad's fan Regular Member

(1) I found it is funny for him to complained about the schedule. You guys might want to check the schedule of WC 2011. LCW played against CJ at the 3rd match in 1st session of SF (2 games) while LD against PG at the 4th match in 2nd session. In the final, their match played at the 2nd match in noon. The result? We all know who emerge as the winner.

TSB hardly complained in 2011, and he want to complain now?

(2) If they really need LCW to lose or have cramp or whatever by turn off the AC, why didn't they switched off the AC since the SF and they could have all china final by tomorrow?

12. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    If there was a problem with drift, why didn't they turn off the A/C during Tontowi/Liliyana's match against Xu/Ma in the final?

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why is Lee CW not pressing the issue, saying he actually started to experience cramps during G2 (which I wasn't aware of as he didn't show any signs but I believe him) and that he blamed no-one but himself for the disappointing defeat?

And why did Tey Seu Bock waited until after LCW's severe cramping near end of G3 which effectively forced the aborted match to complain about it when he said he was aware of the airconditioning being switched off in G2? Is it because he was confident Lee CW would take G2 after winning G1? What about G3, why didn't he raise a loud protest after Lee CW lost G2?

My conjecture is Lee CW misjudged those few backline shots that dropped in because he thought they were borderline cases, so took his chances hoping they dropped long than to take the shots and carry on playing as he wasn't confident he could win the points, preferring the easy way and conserving energy. Too bad the decisions turned out wrong and it unsettled him enough to cost him other points.

It reminded me of a similar incident that happened in their LOG final when at one point he let the shuttle dropped on/within the backline much to his consternation (perhaps not only once as I tried to recall). Normally the coach would advise if you're unsure then better to play the shot. Naturally, those conspiracy theorists would argue that Lee CW misjudged those shots because the airconditioning was switch off during G2. But still it begs the question - why didn't Lee CW adjust and adapt to the changed or no-drift condition after one or two mistakes?

To be honest, I feel so sorry for Lee CW when he lost the match for I had thought he would finally get the world title after taking G1. But Lin Dan is Lin Dan, Lee CW's number one nemesis, what to do. Since Lee CW has decided to put the unfortunate incident behind him and move on, shouldn't we respect him and do the same?

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Talking about Du Pengyu's hard,long tussle with Lee CW in the semi-final, lasting 1 hr and 10 minutes. What do you expect DuPY to do? Tell himself:"Nah, since I'm probably no match for him, might as well not try too hard and concede it quickly so that Lee CW can get more rest and give us a wonderful match with Lin Dan tomorrow as what everybody is looking forward to." :D:p

Didn't both Wang Zhengming and Tommy Sugiarto lost easily in short 2-setter matches to Lee CW, a cakewalk for him? Were WZM and Tommy happy and willing to do that?

What I mean is to be world champion, you got to prepare for the worst-case scenario, not hope your opponents will lose the game to you the way you want it. This LD - LCW confrontation is their 31st , I'm pretty sure they both are fully aware of what to expect from each other and be ready for it. Finding excuses every time you lose is not the way to do it. In this aspect,Lin Dan does it better.

15. VegiSmash

VegiSmash Regular Member

At the risk of infuriating more people here, we can say team China beat Lee Chong Wei. Du Penjyu did his job (make LCW work hard in SF), Chen Long did his job (NOT exert LD) and Lin Dan wore LCW out, with an assist from the A/C :D!

16. niumantang

niumantang Regular Member

Just a kind reminder for those who still complain LCW's match arrangement in this WC. Please try to have a look at what match arrangement for LD in 2011 WC. In SF, LD played three games against Peter Gade and ended in very late night, but LCW played a relatively easy match of 2 games against Chen Jin (chen Jin only got 20 points or so in 2 games) and finished much earlier than LD. But in MSF, we all knew what happened. No body complained about why LD's match would have been set too late in the night.

17. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

Thank you Justin, well said. This is WC and no one including DPY, Tommy, WZM and others will give up without fighting to the last point.

18. gelee

gelee Regular Member

Oh you trust me, if the same 'ac incident' had been employed over in London with LD cramping out in the 3rd and forced to retire at the WC2011, LD fans would have a field day back then and the schedule would have been the topic of the discussion as well. LYB would go nuts, rest assured...

19. ting_ht

ting_ht Regular Member

You are right and that is why LCW did not make any excuse for his lost - good on you. You won my support again.

20. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    The Fact is The organizer turned off AC for last match while the first 4 matches were fine.The question is why BWF could not force the organizer to turn on AC? it is a must unless AC was not working..AC in players' lounge was working...just to be fair for all players...it was so hot,some of us left and stayed in the cool lounge.