Moved here a year ago looking to join a club as I know nobody here.

Discussion in 'Vancouver Racquets Club' started by sho_gun, Aug 16, 2013.

1. sho_gun

sho_gun Regular Member

GM diesel tech
    moved the vancouver about a year ago. and am looking to get back into the sport. I was pretty good. I played nonstop for 8 years. but its now been 5 years off.

any help with finding people to play with would be great thanks :).

ps i work in richmond so there or Van works for me.

2. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    sho_gun,
    Maybe this post should be moved to Canada West general instead of just the VRC sub-forum (Mod?). First off, welcome to Vancouver (one of the most beautiful cities in Canada and also one of the most expensive :) ).

Badminton has been growing in popularity in Vancouver over the last decade or so and there are numerous places to play other than your community centres. I've tried to put together a Google map on badminton places in the GVRD (still very incomplete) but I think your first attempt to look for people to play with is to start with the community centres (although most of them plays with plastic shuttles, there are a few that plays with feather shuttles like Dunbar Community Centre on Tuesday evenings - very popular). You can also try drop-in sessions at the various non-Community Centres like Richmond Pro, Khas, ClearOne etc. Khas for example has an unadvertised drop-in session on Tuesday evenings (7-9pm) run by the head coach and feather shuttles are provided. Badminton-Vancouver also has drop-in sessions and don't be shy to ask Derrick Chow (one of the owners and all round great guy) to introduce you to a group to get games and what not.

There are also a couple of "social clubs" in Richmond that uses school gyms but these usually follows the regular school year (e.g. Richmond Badminton Club(RBC) and Westlu). Sessions for RBC starts in October and runs until May and pricing is very reasonable and they uses feather shuttles. Level of play varies from high beginner to high intermediate and the Sunday session are more advanced. Folks are very friendly and welcome drop-ins and new members. Would strongly suggest you trying them when they start up in October.

The VRC is a membership club and they have various nights scheduled for folks to mix around and play (e.g. Wednesday Mixer nights) and as members get to know you and your level of play, you will get invitied to join groups. Non club-scheduled sessions tends to be pre-arranged by members so it is tough to get to play unless the sessions are not but these are usually not advertised and the best thing is to ask the members that you meet how often they play and when and about the possibility of you dropping by to try out a few times.

If you need more info, just PM me.

#2 Winex West Can, Aug 17, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  3. sho_gun

sho_gun Regular Member

GM diesel tech
    That's great!! Thanks so much for all the info! Can't wait to get back into it.

4. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

Shogun, you can always attend one of the badminton meetups. A great way to meet new peopel whose interest is badminton. The link below is probably the biggest badminton meetup group around, sometimes 70 people show up on Sundays, they also meet Tuesdays as well.

http://www.meetup.com/bubbletea/

5. sho_gun

sho_gun Regular Member

GM diesel tech
    This is perfect thanks so much!

6. sho_gun

sho_gun Regular Member

GM diesel tech
    Im going to try and make it to this tuesdays meetup at badminton vancouver. Can't wait!

7. bad-vancouver

bad-vancouver Regular Member

Make sure you create a Meetup account, join the group and RSVP for the Tuesday event. Thats pretty much the only requirement to play with the group. The front desk staff can direct you to which courts the group is playing on when you get there.