Yonex new racket is coming: Nanoray Z speed!!

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kumache, May 29, 2013.

1. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Actually, that's just not true..... :D

2. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I honestly can't see a NanoRay anywhere near 300mm BP. It would go against Yonex's three main lines of racquets with the NR series the most head light. If the chart is anything to go by, it should end up around the 290mm mark - possibly even less imo.

3. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    I dunno....maybe 290, but headlight rackets are so out of vogue generally, rackets seem to be getting head-heavier across the board. Even the FB is over 300.

4. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well, that's simply because making a racket lighter with a high BP will make it just as powerful as when you keep the weight normal and instead lower the BP, and give you a bit more maneuverability.

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    That's why my favourite rackets all have a BP of 305 but only weigh 90g wet :)

Speed AND Power.

This whole notion of you can have speed and power but not both is complete rubbish. It only exists so companies can divide up their product range into rackets that appear to have different characteristics.

#245 Maklike Tier, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  6. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Really? The FB doesn't seem head heavy at all though...

7. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

That's because the actual weight of the head is still less than a normal racket. Strictly/technically speaking it is towards headheavy (more like 300mm max.). The swingweight is still less than 80gr. iirc for the F weight one ...

Getting a wet weight of 90gr. is not all that hard when starting off with a 4U or light 3U when you only add strings and replace the base grip with an overgrip or replacement (PU, not towel), just that most people seem to have a need of adding 3 or more grips for whatever reason and add up with 100gr. plus monsters (get a G3 already :D)

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Just too late to add the 5U's swingweight is also not more than 80gr. (seems sw is 77gr. for the F and 79~80gr. for the 5U). Should probably not be too long before it get's updated with the NRZS :cool:, although you can probably guestimate it by weight and balance since frame shape doesn't factor in.
    NS9900 sw was (82-)83gr. for 3U and 85-86gr. for 2U (in contrast the 9000X seemed to be ~87gr. for 3U and ~89gr. for 2U; must be why I liked it better)

#248 demolidor, Aug 24, 2013
  9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

In this sense the Z-Speed might be more like a 9000S on steroids and the NR800 is indeed the succesor to NS9900 (since the NS8000 has quite similar swingweight values to NS9900)

10. Sgt_Strider

Sgt_Strider Regular Member

Interesting observation, but yea, it doesn't feel head heavy at all. In fact, I think I feel more weight on my Duoforce's head than on my FB.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Obviously. Simple mechanics - the momentum of any object relative to your hand (which is what you feel and interpret as 'head heaviness') is the product of the object's weight and the distance of your hand to its balance point, i.e. M = F x d. As the ArcFB is so light, the balance point can be pretty much anywhere in the usual range (280-320mm) without it feeling even remotely the same as a real head heavy racket (i.e. with a weight that's actually useful).
    Assuming you grip the ArcFB pretty low and have roughly my hand size, the momentum would be roughly
    [0.3m-0.05m (center of my palm)] * 0.073kg * g = 0,179 N*m
    Comparing the N90:
    [0.318m-0.05m] * 0.088kg * g = 0,231 N*m

That's assuming factory grip and no strings, changes to the grip and strings will of course change these numbers.

12. visor

visor Regular Member

^ that's moment, not momentum. ;)

13. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Sorry. Same term in German. :D

14. drew tze en

drew tze en Regular Member

Tbh, Even though Tan Boon Heong managed to smash at 493Km/h I don't think that the racket will help too much, I admit I would like to try it but I think they put it in the wrong series! >.< could have made it head heavy! :/

15. decoy

decoy Regular Member

Wouldn't that just be a z-force then? Assuming that they would adjust the stiffness because of changing the head balance so the need to make it stiffer. Then with the small head it is basically just a Z-force with a little more or a little less "technology" in it.

16. thinklabs

thinklabs Regular Member

You can call the speed record a marketing gimmick and most likely unachievable for most people. But this does show that Yonex continues to put effort on innovation over the years. I really can't say the same with any other company, small or big.

17. randomuser

randomuser Regular Member

yep it's definitely a marketing gimmick.

cctv tested smash speeds with high speed cameras and found that fu haifeng hit 285 and an elite player hit 260, and a. video's somewhere on youtube.

this study
    http://www.geocities.ws/lillers77/smashmech.pdf
    shows speeds up to 70m/s which is 252

so probably the current radar guns are correct.

#257 randomuser, Aug 24, 2013
  18. decoy

decoy Regular Member

so you think they measured the speed of the shuttles cork before it starts going straight? That speed wouldn't even be headed towards the opponents court but it wouldn't surprise me if that's how they did it.

19. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

How they measured the speed was already discussed in this thread somewhere so why waste time arguing about it?
    It's not the speed it hits the ground on the opponents side so it's really just a marketing number to sell you something unachievable!

20. teoky

teoky Regular Member

Manager
    I think Victor does put alot of effort in R&D. The Brave Sword series released back in 2008 was innovative in terms of the aero design and I believe they are the 1st manufacturer to use graphene in badminton racquet.