Intelligent observation??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Cheung, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Dunno about you guys but I find that badminton is a highly intricate sport. This one of the disadvantages for casual viewer appreciation. Even when watching badminton on TV, it takes me a long time to spot certain tactics.

Even the Sun Jun vs Gade match of 1999 Sudirman cup. I had to watch that match more than five times before I could work out what was going on. Since I play, learn and watch badminton a lot, that's pretty slow analying ability. (or maybe I'm just dumb)

It's not like the power play of Roddick, the obvious brillance of Michael Jordan, the mazy runs of Ryan Giggs, the strength of Mark Viduka (Mark who?). Those are really obvious to see.

We haven't got that so tough for us, our sport isn't ever going to appeal to the masses.
    Even ten pin bowling has smaller crowds than us and it gets into ESPN with bigger prize money.

Hmm, if we did away with mixed doubles, we could use the sponsorship money for the other events and put prize money on par with ten pin bowling...........

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    did away with mixed doubles? you are baiting me to comment, aren't you? :)

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Aaaaa, you should learn more singles first to improve your footwork....
    I must see your mixed doubles and challenge you to a game. Look forward to that.

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Actually, mixed doubles is where badminton is REALLY unique! After all, it's the only Olympic sport where men and women fight it out with and against each other, on the same court...

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    haha.

and furthermore, the woman dictates everything in the game, strategy, formation, who gets to play the shot. basically, the woman is in charge of the game.

kinda like what happens in real life, really.

6. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    yes, XD has the most variation of tactics and strategies--> even more difficult for non-badminton to appreciate.

7. cooler

cooler Regular Member

i totally agreed. the guy should be good in single and double to play xd.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    and technique, placement and accuracy, as well as awareness of the game.

your goal is to not lift the birdie up to the guy, but you constantly have a person standing right in front of the net at the opposite end, try to kill you whenever you push a loose shot.

9. cooler

cooler Regular Member

hmmm, sound like you ate a few feather birdies before :lol:

10. Valentino

Valentino Guest

kinda whats happens in real life kwun???

11. johnboy

johnboy Guest

One of our club members (male) describes Mixed Doubles as.... Mens Singles with bollards.

Me, I love it !!! (the game and the comment)

12. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

Still better than me,been watching same videos for 20 years and still can't understand them.

If you really want to play a very complex game try table-tennis or tennis,and watch all your shots flying all over the place as in badminton.You'll really tear your hair.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Doesn't that reinforce the argument that not many people at club level appreciate mixed doubles and therefore to do away with it would not make much difference. we should really cater for the majority rather than a small minority.

(Just stirring)

14. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Who are "we" in this case? And I fail to understand how abolishing mixed doubles would increase interest in the game?

Besides, in other countries the status of mixed doubles is higher. In Europe, especially England and Denmark, mixed doubles is very common at club level.

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Because there would be less resources put to parts of the game that are not appreciated by the layman(and many club players).
    Time, energy and resources can be then be focussed on the other events for players and media.

Mixed doubles is common but is it enjoyed by a lot of people? Go to Stephen Willis's site for an insight into how the mixed game commonly regarded at the club level. Moans and groans from ladies and men and these are people who play badminton regularly! And this is from England which is one of the countries you have quoted.

Don't get me wrong. I personally think mixed doubles is the most difficult of the five disciplines of badminton. Yet I think it is unappreciated by a huge group of people.

16. @ndy

@ndy Guest

if we take the business approach in which u scrap the product line that doesn't giv u much return, then badminton as an international would be a gooner.

ten pin may have a smaller crowd but its like a national past time isn';t it??

ten pin has simlpe rules, ie knock the pins down, thus its is far easier to follow than baddy.

its like chess comps, HUGE following and fan base, but do they really broadcast it.............not really becoz the majority of the spectators wouldn't understand it nor be be bothered to watch it.

i'm not really a follower of chess not ten pin, so wht i say may (probably is) incorrect.

17. marshall

marshall Regular Member

Computer Security Manager
    IMO, WD and WS are underappreciated also. Notice the difference in crowd size for the women's matches and the men's. My theory is that most spectators do not understand or appreciate technique, but are impressed by fast play and hard smashes. I believe that in general most spectators of any sport enjoy the obvious and miss the fine points.

So: If I'm right, badminton might still get on primetime television. We don't need an audience that knows much, just one that likes loud noises and fast action. (And beer. We need a beer sponsor. Also a health food sponsor. One who makes salty snacks and pizza.) :))

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

You put the words (and the beer) right into my mouth. :)

19. May

May Guest

u mean a guy shld be bisexual?

20. cooler

cooler Regular Member

that wasn't an intelligent observation.