Gong Zhichao quits...

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Johnny, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Johnny

Johnny Guest

Don't know if it's old news but I just read that olympic gold medallist Gong Zhichao has stopped.

Apparently she wants to focus on her education.
    The Chinese badminton association has secured she won't play for any other country the next 3 years. They have learned the bad habbit from Indonesia I'm afraid...

It's good news for Camilla Martin. As far as I remember Gong was the player she had most trouble with of the Chinese ladies...
    She (Camilla) has beaten both Zhou Mi and Zhang Ning resently. Looks good!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    yes. she did mention that after the Chinese National game, and now it looks like it is confirmed.

one thing interesting that was mentioned is that China has now imposed a rule that no ex-Chinese national players can play for another country until they are 29 for male, or 27 for females.

i wonder if this is a new rule or not. has there been exceptions? i know of Wang Chen, but Hongkong is well.... technically part of China.

3. johnboy

johnboy Guest

Am I missing something here. How can China 'impose' such a rule, surely that can only be done by the IBF

If Gong Zhichao decides to move to Denmark, Scotland or Germany and play for them, then provided she satisfies the IBF conditions then what can China do about it?

4. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    i don't know many ex-chinese playing for other country. Coaching, yes but playing for another country? Personally, i count HK as china anyway.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i guess these players are contract based. and i think if one signed a contract with the Chinese government, one probably don't want to break it! and besides that, the government has paid for the stipend, living expenses and everything since they were 9 yrs old.

same is happening to indonesian players. they are imposing a "transfer fee" for players, and the fee is a fair amount, in the US$10,000s range for the top players.

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Many players start at an early age perhaps giving up a significant proportion of their high school education. The early retirement age may reflect the players personal dilemma - play until the body gives up or quit early and try to learn something more whilst not too old and can last past physical decline.

In Malaysia, I think players can finish high school or at least a significant proportion of it before going into full time training.

Camilla just keeps going on and on. She's outlasted many players. It will be a challenge for the remaining players to beat her. Her consistency is very good.
    Zhang Ning has mentioned retirement.
    Gong RuiNa looks to have multiple injuries.
    The younger chinese lady players will need some time to mature.

What a pity for Camilla that 2002 is not an Olympic or World Championship year. By next year the new generation should be forcing it's way through.

7. @ndy

@ndy Guest

Re: transfer fee for human commodity

Interesting post.

seems like the IBF will have to get some assistance from EUFA and FIFA to combat movement of players around the globe, or at least form some moral guidelines.............ahahahah

wait till a man utd type country buys all the stars shuttlers.

8. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    Pi Hongyan

Apparently Pi Hongyan unofficially wants to play for Denmark. My guess is the only way that can happen is if she seeks political asylum and becomes a Danish citizen.

In any case, she's losing to Camilla in the big tournaments, but she is actually winning in traning matches... We'll be hearing from her again.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Re: Pi Hongyan

She could marry and get citizenship that way.

If she was a political refugee, she wouldn't have been able to return to China to play in the all China games recently. (And leave)

10. Jan

Jan Guest

Pi-Hongyan playing for Denmark!

according to Erik:
    http://www.badmintonforum.com/forums/read.php?f=2&i=21016&t=21008

As she has never represented China (I think) - she was never good enough - she just have to have her main residence in Denmark for one year. And as I remenber she arrived last sommer.

She will miss the Uber cup - but if she wants to she could be the top contender to queen Camillas crown next season.

11. ShuEn

ShuEn Guest

I dunno how to describe how I'd feel

I just read the news about it...didn't noe how to react seriously...it's been such a long time since i liked gong zhichao, watching her every match on tv and then tyring to fasion after her...all these years. Seems like it was just yesterday and now she's going to retire. Truthfully, I'm very sad. I can never watch her compete on televison anymore. I can't even get to go up to her to ask for her signature once again during a match. dunno if anybody noes how that feels...
    well but i respect her decision. She has given so many years to badminton, now i guess it's time she should plan for something else like studies etc.

12. Yudhi

Yudhi Regular Member

Student
    Re: I dunno how to describe how I'd feel

Luckily I had taken a shot with her :)

13. May

May Guest

Re: I dunno how to describe how I'd feel

hahahaha.