How to become faster

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Lukasy, Oct 26, 2013.

1. Lukasy

Lukasy Regular Member

Hello everybody,

I'm just back from a tournament that i played and lost my singles match with 21-18 and 21-5. The first set was ok but the second i was to slow and always to late.
    Can somebody help me or give me a link to a thread where i can learn how to become faster?

2. amleto

amleto Regular Member

skipping and 'peter rasmussen footwork' vid

3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

maybe it's not just speed but also stamina. if you were able to keep up in the 1st game and keep it close, by the second your stamina might've gone down whereas your opponent was still able to maintain his speed. so look for endurance training, weighted jogging (like wearing a weighted vest), run for an hour each day, and other conditioning methods to bring up your endurance

4. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    Improving your stamina is great. But I would focus on learning proper footwork. Start to practise footwork patterns without the shuttle at first. Proper footwork allows you to move faster but also use less energy to do so. This will probably benefit you more in the long run.

Poor shot making can also affect this. In singles it is very important that your shots (clears and lobs mostly) are deep enough. Your opponent can put much more pressure on you when your shots are short. This will make it a lot more exhausting to retrieve everything. And you have to be faster to retrieve them too.

5. Steve the noob

Steve the noob Regular Member

Footwork may look very standardized, but there isn't really a formula to it. Even I have trouble with backcourt footwork, even when my frontcourt is amazing in comparison.

Some tips would be to skip, side-step, and lunge. Never run around the court, since the court is a small place and running would not be as efficient in recovery. Skip to the four corners, and lunge to the front two. Side step for shots on the left and right.

6. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Agree with capnx and bowi12, you may have one or both problems. Lack of stamina or being outplayed by your opponent due to ineffective shot returns. If you DID NOT have a tiring match when u were slaughtered then your problem is probably being outplayed. It is not necessarily being able to move faster will solve all your woes, look into other aspects of your badminton skills.

7. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Just give him what he need. He did not ask for any kind of advice how to outplay his opponent.

Like amleto said, skipping and peter's footwork. I would suggest the chinese footwork too. I also remember the time when the coach keep throwing the shuttles anywhere he wants and I have to keep up the speed to get the shuttle. It get tense every session :p. But it does really help in term of speed.

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Peter Rasmussen Footwork! Build it up to 30 minutes, and you will be flying around the court.

9. Lukasy

Lukasy Regular Member

thanks everybody.
    It was a bit of the two: not fast enough and outplayed
    I will look into the footwork drill and we will see what will happen in the next tournament

10. DuckFeet

DuckFeet Regular Member

Computer rebooter
    I need to work on my footwork. is it possible to pick up bad habits or is the peter video and skipping going to be beneficial however I do it?

11. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    If you follow the video "incorrectly", certainly you could build up bad habits. I'd suggest you've video record yourself doing the drill every time, at least in the beginning. Then do the same recording every so often later. Review your recording and compare it with Peter's video in detail, to see you copy them well (of course, pay attention to what he said too).

12. kklee1517

kklee1517 Regular Member

Student
    1. Footwork, you can do six corner footwork or front and back footwork or side to side footwork. This will help you get to your opponent's shots efficiently and quickly. I recommend you to work on the front and back or side to side footwork first before going into the six corner footwork.

2. Skipping, start learning how to double skip. It really helps with agility and rhythm. Skipping also trains your ankle strength and allows you to perform quick jumps with only your ankles. This is very useful in a game when you are given low shots.

3. Cardio, things like running and biking can help you increase your stamina. More stamina = keeping your performance level for longer. Therefore you can perform at your very best for a longer period of time.

4. Core ab strength, do plank, sit ups, and other exercises to train your abs. This is very important because you are constantly lunging forward and bending down. In order to get ready for the next shot, you need to bend back up and prepare to receive. Core ab strength is also great for overhead shots because it allows you to turn your body quicker.

This is an old thread but is a great reference for what you should be training.

http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ent-after-1-month)?highlight=footwork+1+month

Hopefully these tips will help you!

13. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
  14. phili

phili Regular Member

You could also hit the gym doing 3 sets of leg press, 1 set of leg extension and 3 sets of leg curls with high weight and 3-5 reps up to 2 times a week. A friend and I started this 2 months back and we both got faster and can jump higher.

15. jasontyh

jasontyh Regular Member

Engineer
    hit the gym. get lean, get fit. watch video and practice. when u r physically fit, u will be mentally motivated and mentally fit. everything just adds on.

16. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    While it could be your footwork and fitness, as you already figured out it could be more. You might not have moved your opponent as much as he moved you in first game. So in second game, you felt tired while he wasn't (not as much anyway).

It's also possible that you need to change your strategy in the 2nd game; your opponent might have figured you out via first game, and changed the way he played you, while you still did the same things. In this case, even though your shots execution were fine, but you might have predictable and exploitable patterns.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    One very important factor that a lot of people don't consider is working on your anticipation and reading your opponent. Footwork and physical speed is obviously a must, but there's no point being Usain Bolt if your reaction time is 5x slower than everyone else.

18. gundamzaku

gundamzaku Regular Member

working professional
    this shuttle throwing is very important because it also trains the speed of your reaction time. along with the rasmussen footwork and the chinese footwork/quick feet, you will gain a lot!