Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    It doesn't really matter if it is one year or more as long as there is a written guideline. A wild card recipient should meet certain criteria before a spot is granted. I think the BWF should seek consensus with the players re the process of granting wild cards.

2. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

Yes LCW is no longer invincible vis-à-vis CL and Tago. Hey he even lost to Tien Minh , super veteran Boonsak and Sho Wan Ho not to long ago. LCW is now playing primarily for Winston's financial security and try to win one major (if AE is not considered one). Is he any less great if he never win WC or OG? Do yall think Gade and Frost to be less divine in the Olympus of Badminton immortals. He should reduce his tournaments so that he could stay on top or in the top game longer probably giving us a last hurrah at OG 2016.

3. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

in opinion, it is time for LCW to take a very long rest until next year Thomas Cup, which means LCW has to skip a lot of tournaments by today including upcoming China SS, Hong Kong SS, SS Finals, next year Korea SS, Malaysia SS, All England and so on... like this sure his ranking drop like freefall...

4. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Indeed LCW needs time to rest his body, recover his fitness and avoid injuries, which is more detrimental.

But he also needs to pick his tournaments judiciously to win more prizes and to gain WR points to stay ahead.

If he doesn't participate in tournaments, he will be like LD, hoping for a wildcard from BWF for the majors.

5. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    If he rest till Thomas cup, he would need to pay a lot of fines to BWF. If I'm not mistaken usd5k for each super series a world no.1 skip

6. Gingerbeer

Gingerbeer Regular Member

I'm just wondering, how many wild card would BWF issues if both LD and LCW were unqualified for next year's WC.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Good question.

Wildcards are precious and are only given to those most deserving if they can't enter via the normal route for whatever reasons.

Unlikely that they will be given to two players from the same sport, just my guess.
    Not sure whether there are any precedents for badminton.

Of course both LCW and LD are deserving, but if only one wildcard is available, they may have to fight for it. Now that will be most interesting! Just like another final, hehe.

8. AlanY

AlanY Regular Member

apparently wild cards will only be considered for pass and reigning champions.

9. SibugiChai

YAB
    They can play a match and the winner get the wild card

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    The BWF has set a precedence. Wild cards are for current World Champion & Olympic Champion. LCW is neither. BWF will make a fool of themselves if they try to give LCW a wild card if he not qualified based on ranking.

LD may question why.

11. dominikk1985

dominikk1985 Regular Member

clinical science
    even with a medical certificate? you cannot force an injured player to play.

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    You need to prove the injury unless you are a player from a certain country.
    Maybe use vertigo as an excuse.

#9652 nokh88, Oct 29, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  13. markuswair

markuswair Regular Member

Student
    LD deserves to participate on next year's WC. He's a living legend with the most WC title in history. Anw LCW's not a coward who would be discouraged merely because LD is participating. I bet he has a desire to prove that at least once in his career he could be on the top podium of the WC, no matter whom his contender is.

14. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Unfortunately for the former great LCW, its too late to win the majors. From now
    on he will be quarterfinalist and max, semifinalist - the likes of CL, KT, WZM, DPY,
    CYK, the clown JOJ and the korean MS will be giving him a very tough time next
    year.

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    If im coret, players stail need to go to teh tiruan menu doc. To be verify unfit, since already at teh location, mighgt as Wellington play

16. Elisha

Elisha Regular Member

I believe the era of decline has begun for LCW.
    Something tells me he plays every available tournament for the money and not the rankings. #2 and #3 don't play as many tournaments so even if LCW skipped one here and there, it's not going to affect his ranking!

17. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    LCW is experimenting his game after the WC lost, he won't play 100% most of the time. It is just too mentally and physically demanding for anyone goes full out all the time. He will pick and choose when he should crank up his game. He will play better when he needs to. It is too early to declare LCW is declining. His skill is still far better than every MS players except LD. CL is a touch below him. We should admire him for carrying the Malaysia flag for so long. Give him the benefit of the doubt, he deserve every ounce of it. If he needs a wild card, grant it to him.

18. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

Oh dear, oh dear. Someone just mentioned the hypothetical case of both LD and LCW not qualifying for next year's world championship and asked whether both will be given the wild cards and I am already reading about LD may ask why if LCW is given one. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't remember LD saying anything about whether he should or should not be given a wild card for this year's WC. On the other hand, once again correct me if I am wrong, it was LCW who was unhappy when LD was given one. For all I know LD himself may not even be keen to play in next year's WC, after having won it so many times.

19. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Untrue and very unfair statement. Just because he lost in a SF once doesn't mean he'll do it all the time....he's still got way more class and abilities than 99% of the whole MS squads of Indonesia, Japan, Korea....he's just at an age where he can't continue to play tournaments day in, day out and will need to take some off time and set priorities. Maybe not to the same extreme level LD does, but pick and choose more...time to let the other players step in and help the bwf promote Badminton.

20. senior888

senior888 Regular Member

Consultant
    Its true and a fair statement as LCWs game is hugely dependence on his
    amazing speed and retrieving ability as he do not really has a FHF like
    smashes - they are more on superb placement smashes than power.
    Thats why lately he cannot kill the shuttle against CL, KT, DPY etc due to
    his loss in speed and stamina due to old age and compounded by a lack of
    height.
    Age is his greatest enemy in todays game of speed and power.