What would you do??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Spy, Jan 25, 2002.

1. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    Imagine this: You're playing at the net in a doubles game. Your opponents are powerful smashers. At one particular shot, the opponents push the bird to the backhand side of your partner. Your partner mistakably makes a weak return, sending the bird very high and close to the net. One of your opponents quickly jumps up to the net and prepares to smack the bird real hard (and you are still at the net). Would you move back (if there's really any time for you to do that) or would you cover your face with your racket to prevent any humiliation?? What would you do at the net in this case?

2. Iwan

Iwan Guest

crouch down real low and close to the net :) hahaha that is if you were guarding the net.

3. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    What if your opponents are real good smashers? haha...then it won't matter how low you crouch.. =()

4. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    It's probably a lost point. All you can do is crouch, turn away your face, and put your racquet up -- maybe, maybe they happen to smash right at it.

5. JOSH

JOSH Guest

Ya cuz one time I went to smash hard right down the opponent's centre line and and the front partner just held up his racquet and the bird just bounced right down in to our court! Pretty unfair point! he he

6. johnboy

johnboy Guest

Is that before or after you had wished a thousand deaths on your partner.

7. johnboy

johnboy Guest

On a more serious note !!!

If your partner had made a 'very high return' why were you still at the net.

Even if you had not noticed the week return your partner should have at least called you to mout back (or out)

8. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    well, not every partner will do that. They may not think of it at the time :)

9. Valentino

Valentino Guest

personally, i would go and stand side by side position with my partner, maybe u get lucky. i think u have more chances of bringing the shuttle back like that

10. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    Go Kamakaze and rush the net with your racquet in front of you. Considering that your partner put up a lame response, and that your opponents are killers, you could try just about anything you like.

Then after you get the shuttle surgically removed from your forehead, give your partner a swift kick in the butt. ;-)

11. TDotSmAsHer

TDotSmAsHer Regular Member

Student Gr 11 in Sept.------- badminton player/ad
    Fake a heart attack?

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Nah, A better response is (since you are already out front) is to jump up and down and wave your arms like crazy (hoping that you will be able to distract your opponents) which is, by the way, illegal, thereby giving your opponents a good excuse to smash the birdie at you so that you can return it instead of them smashing at your lame partner.

Seriously, if you can't move back to take the smash, either put the racquet up or crouch right down at the net with the racquet covering your face and the other hand covering your groin.

13. Ed

Ed Guest

Re: What would you do?? Is it legal to block it?

Is it legal to try to block the smash if you are not protecting your face?

The IBF rules do not mention this. The closest rule I could find is obstruction under faults.

14. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If the shuttle is really that high, I would ave moved backwards. I also would hold the racquet way up the shaft like Sigit just in case I get lucky and the shuttle is sent near me.

15. Spy

Spy Regular Member

student
    well..if you are at the front and you don't look back, then you won't know if the bird is being returned high and close to the net.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If you had enough experience with the sequence of shots, you can tell wether your partner is in trouble or not.

If the shuttle isn't returned over the net quickly, you definately know something is wrong. :).....be alert to defend!!!!!

If you are lucky, your partner will tell you to back off the net when he knows his shot is gonna be weak.

If your opponents are really that good on attack, accept that most of their shots are going to be winners from that position.

17. viver

viver Regular Member

Actually I watched an exhibition doubles game - 2 brothers against another team. During 1 of the rallies the 2 brothers team got the advantage forcing the other team on the defensive. The younger one of the brothers' team smashed but hit the frame and the bird went up. The older brother heard the sound but did not know where the shuttle went, was scanning frantically the other side of the court and worst of all stranded at the net, just a step ahead of the T. The shuttle went like a mid court clear and the other side, the stronger smasher sent the shuttle with a full power smash, directly to the older brother face. It happened so fast... The older brother moved his face (it seemed soooo at ease) and body a little bit to the left, his feet still on the ground, moved his racquet (his racquet was at that time facing the opponent's court in his right shoulder) in front of his face, and with a slight move of his wrist, totally absorbed the power of the smash and placed the shuttle to his right side on the opponents court, between the singles and doubles line and at about a foot behind the net.

This is something you might want to try. It will surely catch your opponents unguarded. By the way, the older brother was Hou Jia Chang and the hard hitter Wong Man Hing a well known badminton coach in Hong Kong.

18. Snook

Snook Guest

If my partner played a weak backhand high in front of the net I would turn my back on it and not bother trying to hit the shuttle, I'd go and hit my partner instead.

19. Valentino

Valentino Guest

one thing: never give up on a point, trust me......