How to act if somebody is wrong and don't agree if you show the rules of the bwf?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by ucantseeme, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    How to act if your opponent, coach or well respected club member is wrong and teach nonsense?

Following situation:

I played a XD with a new partner to prepare for tournaments. We played against a junior MD.
    At 20:19 one of our opponents hold his racket over the net. I called a fault.
    Then their coach and well respected club member shouted at me. That it isn't a fault. We lost the game 20:22. During the last points I was angry and under stress so I made some mistakes. Anyway I was angry about the fact that somebody spread their wrong laws. I browsed the net and showed their coach 13.4.2 on my iphone. She said to me that she have seen some judges who didn't called it a fault. I don't mind much about this happening but I had the same situations with other players of my club and I'm angry about the fact that somebody who coaches at a low level but has a training license teach such wrong rules.
    Do you have same experiences and how should I act. I don't want to start a beef, but this is for me an absolute no-go. Please share you experiences. :)

2. visor

visor Regular Member

You have a video?

Many of these faults are really difficult for players to call, ie difficult to judge unless very obvious. So it becomes your opinion vs opponent's. Like whether the shot was taken before it crossed the net.

Your opponent holding his racket over the net is not illegal in itself. But it's a distraction and poor sportsmanship. If he had struck the bird, he'd be at fault anyways. So his purpose was just to distract. And that is just poor sportsmanship.

#2 visor, Nov 22, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  3. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

[h=2]"How to act if somebody is wrong..."[/h]
    Act smug. :cool:
    It might not change minds, but self-righteousness gives you a warm feeling inside just like a nice cup of hot chocolate (or like an aneurysm getting ready to burst).
    ____

Better yet, take a deep breath, relax, and realize that life is to short to let small, closed minds get you down.
    At least you know you have thousands of BC'ers at your back. :)

4. emidyl

emidyl Regular Member

"water on the ducks back"

these points will always come around and even themselves out, at least that's my point of view, but probably more my old age showing than anything else, as I know in certain tourneys, granted is more important.

There are a group of "guys" that play at a drop in I frequent each week. In 2 hours there will be 2-3 "meetings" between the 4 arguing about a line call. The best part is the team from the opposite court will argue a line call they can't even see. Ass backwards.
    I play them very seldom, but when I do they will invariably question a line call. Fine, I'd rather spend my time playing so I give it to them preventing them from coming over to my side. No worries because my partner and I will 95% of the time end up winning. Yes we are better players but we play all levels to be fair, especially to beginners who find it difficult to join in. So what does this constant arguing accomplish? NIL, argue all they want but in the end it amounts to nothing.
    As fidget says, life is short, don't sweat the little things.

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The practice game served its purpose. It showed that you as a player, would let an incident disturb your rhythm and concentration. Thus, in a delicate balance of the final points of a critical game, you should try to stay in mental control.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

How would your mental state as a young person be if the opponent's coach shouts at you in front of everyone?

7. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

was it a tournament?
    then call the ref, the opponent's coach has nothing to say!

from your description, i can't really tell what happened. could you describe it more precisely?

8. vixter

vixter Regular Member

But according to the rule 13.4.2 this is a fault.

It shall be a fault if in play a player...
    13.4.2 invades an opponent's court over the net with racket or person except that the striker may follow the shuttle over the net with the racket in the course of a stroke after the initial point of contact with the shuttle is on the striker's side of the net;

But I agree that it needs to be very obvious before you as a player can have a case to call a faut... Like someone really streching over with the whole racket head.

My advice to the OP would be, you have done everything you can already. You showed the woman the rule, but she reacted a bit stubborn. But maybe she will think about it later and investigate on her own, and then change her perspective...

#8 vixter, Nov 26, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    There you go then. It was a good training exercise.

The OP learnt that he/she can get lose their cool. Far better it happens in a practice game than the tournament itself.

The OP learnt about the rule and specific reference for the future.

The OP learns that calling such shots are very difficult in a game unless very obvious. If in doubt, you have to move on to the next shot. But in a tournament, request for an umpire if there isn't one.

That coach is showing poor manners for shouting.

10. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

is it really only a fault when the racket is over the net at my side?

there are some players who like to put their racket up very close to the net and are risking that my racket hits theirs after my contactpoint with the shuttle..in the swing motion..

isnt that a fault also? i thought its already a fault if the opponents interferes with my stroke while still his racket may not be over the net

11. vixter

vixter Regular Member

It's not a fault from your opponent to put his/her racket up very close to the net, but the moment your swing is obstructed because of this or the moment your rackets collide because of this, it's a fault of the opponent and your point.

If you play without a referee, your best shot is to make your swing anyway and let your rackets collide, then you have all the right to say "It's our point because you blocked my swing". When the rackets have collided, that is evidence and there's nothing to argue.

12. Exert

Exert Regular Member

Student
    Well how should I act when someone calls my shot out when it was noticeably in? Sorry different question aha.

13. alien9113

alien9113 Regular Member

For social games, if my friends are standing near the lines, I ask them to confirm if it was in or out.

If no one saw it, we call a let and start again.