Doubles Finishing moves

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Jonah35, Feb 18, 2005.

1. Jonah35

Jonah35 Regular Member

Student
    Hey,

Me and my partner have been playing for two years and we're pretty good but we just dont know how to show it, We wanna find a move after we win a rally, like a handshake or clap our somthing so just wondering what someones else does after wining a rally to get some ideas:confused: :confused:

2. jamesshieh88

jamesshieh88 Regular Member

Student
    i dont see a point in celebrating between every point. just makes you seem kinda conceited and to do that at least 15 times a set is just kinda useless. i think you should concentrate more on the game than trying to show off.

3. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

After winning the rally, my finishing move is to win the next rally :D

I like to perform my finishing move 14 times in a row. That really demoralises the opponents.

4. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

Some people tap their partners on the side of their upper arm or shoulder with their racket implying 'nice shot' or 'come on' or something like that.

I agree with jamesshieh88 though, any pair who I was playing against who did some kind of hand shake or clap after every point they won would just irritate me. Only reason to do it is if you win a very long rally or if you look certain to lose a rally and one of you hits an amazing winner.

5. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Now we're venturing into field psychology here:p. Celebrating every point is one way of distracting your opponents and pumping your team up. Whether it's in poor taste or not is irrelevant as long as the umpire doesn't object:D. In AE2000, Ha Tai Kwon's every cheer (he fisted and yelled after every point scored) clearly drove his opponents to distraction. You could actually see frustration on Lee's face whenever Ha does it. Of course, it does look silly for awhile but in competition, every bit of edge counts.

6. Big Slick

Big Slick Regular Member

7. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

That's why you don't see many players do it, it takes a certain personality to get comfortable with it. Also, it does look silly if one does it every time he plays... even in recreational games. Playing in tournaments is different though and cheering every point reinforces the spirit. I think oppositions will always be doing that "50/50 line calls" if they're naturally pressured.

Now that you mention it, I think doing this would definitely improve one's game... at least acclimatize oneself to actual tourney feel. What's not to like about it? You opponents determined to beat you and having a crowd cheering against you. If you can play through this, you can play anywhere:).

8. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    The best way to show you are good is to win the match, not showing off with a special way of celebrating. A general clenching of the fist keeps you pumped up and focussed.

9. Jonah35

Jonah35 Regular Member

Student
    That is very true!!!,

Im not trying to demoralize my opponents or anything, its just somthing between me and my partner to keep our heads in the game, Like on my B-ball team when someone jacks a three or makes a nice shot everyone slaps his hand on the way back to the defensive zone, I think gestures like that are a good way to build confadances and rewards your team mate when he makes a nice play. It also helps when your having a bad game our things arent goin your way in a match, something so simple like that can turn things around.

LOL like I cant play mixed cause my partners to hot and I end up staring at her ass the whole time and I get off my game. lol:cool:

10. vienly

vienly Regular Member

Networking
    do some kartwheels then do a backflip over the the badminton net innit.... :D

11. Jonah35

Jonah35 Regular Member

Student
    Yah ill get right on that.................:(

12. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    hum well me and my partner dont do anything to big we just give the nod of approval after we win a point, most of the time the opposing team does not even notice, but i mean ive seen some people after they win a point or service back they start jumping up and down like crazy...makes me just want to beat them even more cause of that...

13. outlah

outlah Regular Member

government hand-out
    If you look at any other non contact professinal sport, you'll always see team members pumping each other up, even when they just lost a point. Whether its just a tap on the shoulder, or an exaggerated high 5, they all do it. Why should badminton be any different? I don't know if they actually think up special moves to celebrate, but I think that's more for sports where points are few in between, like football, baseball, or hockey.

I'm only refering to professional and tournament play. Club play will be different depending on where and who you play with. Always get to know your fellow club members, because with friends, anything goes. In the end, all that matters to me is; Am I sweating? Did I have fun?

Jonah35: If you just want to show people how good you are, then just win the game.

cappy75: Next time, give your partner(m or f) a kiss after every point. That should unnerve your opponents to a point where they might even forfeit the game. :)

14. _h3sp_

_h3sp_ New Member

"finishing move" like killing the shuttle at the net and then looking your opponent into the eyes fist clenched are a bit exagerated, but if the 4 players are like real competitors, it gives the match a psychological dimension that can be really pleasing. It helps keeping or releasing pressure. With my partner, we don't "provoke" our opponents, we much more urge the public to do some noise and go like "ASA !!" alltogether when we score points, just kinda happy.

Now it's true that if you serve and your opponent returns the shuttle out, it may not be a good idea to cry out loud "come on!" (Hewitt style or Ha style :rolleyes:) or sth like that... unless you really don't like them or if they do the same :D.

15. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

uhhhh... dunno about that. I am open minded about things but this is just not my style:p. I play lots more doubles than mixed, so I for one would feel really really weird about it:D. Heck! If we did that, I dunno who's more grossed out... opponents or us:rolleyes:! Thanks but no thanks, I would stick to restrained yell or fist pumping.

16. Jonah35

Jonah35 Regular Member

Student
    LoL yah doubles whould be kinda freaky, mixed i could see doin it, lol Talk about pissing off your opponents by making out with your partner after every rally. Im goin ask my mixed partner about that, lol see what she thinks;)