Gamma Fixed Badminton Clamps

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by heroclass, Dec 14, 2013.

1. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

2. kakinami

kakinami Regular Member

I think those the best for that style clamp. Diamond dusted, hold very well. Slim design so fit badminton good.

3. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    http://www.wdstrings.co.uk/acatalog/Clamps.html
    WA3342

But for having tried both (the Gamma and the ones from W&D), I have to say that the Gamma clamps are much better and are probably worth to buy if you're not building a budget machine.

4. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    You should give them a call. That clamp is for badminton only which is not available anymore. It been replace by the new 5 prong Universal Clamps with diamond coating. The new universal die-cast aluminum alloy clamp is around $100 each and it is lighter them the older model stainless steel 4 prong universal clamp. But the 4 prong universal clamp is the best for that style clamp like Kakinami said.

5. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

is there a website with this 5 prong universal clamp? is it better or worse?

6. phili

phili Regular Member

I've got the 5 prong clamp from gamma. When clamping the cross strings, some mains get in the way of the prongs so you have to move the mains. It is not ideal but the 4 prong clamps are too expensive for me.

7. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

If I could have any clamps, it would be these. Sadly, they can't be had in UK and postage would be exorbitant.

8. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

I do see Kwun with the 5 teeth ones. Do the 4 teeth gamma give the same performance?

9. anthony.nguyen

anthony.nguyen Regular Member

Student
    do these clamps fit 12mm posts?

10. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Yes, they do!

11. Alexccs

Alexccs Regular Member

Stringer ES8protech
    The older 4 prongs Universal Model (stainless steel) from Gammas is better them the newer 5 prongs model.
    The 4 prongs model work better for Badminton racket because can clamp in tight space and the handle is soft when close (effortless compare to 5 prongs model).
    The 4 prongs model has diamond coating directly on the surface of the metal and on the full length for the teeth. The newer 5 prongs does not have diamond coating on the tip (I would say 1/3 without it) so you have to clamp the string all the way in to the teeth to have a secure clamping. I got miss clamping of the strings many time on 2 and 11 o'clock of the frame. Because I try to clamp with the tip at the tight space.

12. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the new 5 prong is OK. but not awesome nor great. I have used better clamps before but at the same time, i also have used worse ones.

i don't have any issue with the spacing. they are designed to be on the narrower side so it can accommodate both badminton and tennis spacing. sometimes it might be slightly narrow when the side main strings starts to spread out. but over time with practice i am used to getting around it.

what [MENTION=6480]Alexccs[/MENTION] says is true, the diamond coating don't go all the way to the tip. i do think they can do better on the space of the prongs. however, i think they are limited by the manufacturing process. Yonex/Toyo clamps are machined to shape and thus they cost a lot more to manufacture. The gamma clamps are casted and they didn't add an extra step to machine it.

the coating is also just ok, it grabs but not effortlessly. strings that have very slippery coating (Toalson/Adidas) will require a lot more adjustment.

Lastly, the feel of the clamping. It has a non-linear movement, not the smoothest nor the lightest.

I have used the old 4 prong Gamma once only (@Pete LSD house) and I don't remember much of it. i do think the new one is more compact and can get into tighter spaces.

13. heroclass

heroclass Regular Member

What do you mean the new one on your last sentence? The new 4 teeth or the 5 teeth universal?