how to win when your partner is too weak

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by reytave, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agree. Keep it simple. Simple is good

2. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    Thank you for pointing that out. I guess ill just say "aim for the inner lines" i think? At least if his racket angle is wrong, there's still a good chance it's in.

3. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    Yup. Im very much aware of this. I dont have any plans of sticking with him so this is temporary. I tried my best to employ the correct strategy but it's just a total failure.

4. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Better! Just remind him that you don't need to aim for the side lines, and that you can afford to give yourself plenty of room for error.

5. Jun Wei

Jun Wei Regular Member

have you ever talk to this partner of yours? because some people just want to play and enjoy themselves. They don't care about tactics, improvement ,etc. There is only progression when both of you are on the same page.

6. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    yup i always talk to him. but he just couldn't implement the things that i tell him to do on the court. i guess it's a force of habit for him.

7. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

Maybe you can try saying something like ''clear it all the way to the back'' if he says he can't tell him you can show him how to, if he declines you're better off just finding a different partner

Thankfully I have now found a different partner just by playing so well that he can't play at the same level as me because he is not good enough, when I was playing with him I felt like I couldn't really commit to any shots because he just couldn't cover the follow up, that meant no hard smashes unless I was directly center of the court, my new partner is pretty decent so now I will be having much more fun

8. other

other Regular Member

Student
    good to know the issues we all face are repeated across the badminton halls everywhere...

I would suggest that more practice (half court singles) with your partner would be useful, to get the basics like clear, lift, drop and serve consistently in, and to the right length. This will help in the tournament to at least not loose points from your/your partner's errors.

Further down the line, perhaps a career in singles would suit you better?!

9. Redjack

Redjack Regular Member

I have a new partner now so I'll probably never have to play with my old again, the new partner also gives and takes tips too so we're both on the same page

I really want to play singles but our club only had 2 courts so it's kind of bad to take up a whole court for just 2 of but one of the other club players wants to plat singles too so the both of us will be staying later than the rest to practice sometime, he's also ambidextrous and can play equally well with both hands and his smash in insanely powerful

10. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    as expected we lost all our games. and we lost pretty bad. we never even hit double digits. it was like 3v1 with my partner giving away free points to the opponents during service, short lifts and clears, mishitting, etc. it was just a terrible experience. oh well, gotta move on and find a much better partner.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Put it down to a bad experience. Remember, stick to singles. No partner. Every game is your own effort. Win or lose it's down to you and not a partner. ;)

12. jencon13

jencon13 Regular Member

I understand your problem completely. Solution? Meditation. No but seriously garbage players are not going to improve over night... Sure you can stick them at the front, but theres only so much you can do... From the sounds of it you're trying hard to make this work. If these games mean a lot to you (wether it be tournament or not) and it seems like they do, (which is good, your passionate!) find a new partner. Its not fair on yourself for someone to drag you down that hard. I personally dont care because i dont play competitive anymore, but at times the frustration comes back :p

13. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

if he isn't a good player, rules of badminton say he's unfit and ineligible to be considered a fully grown human. so it's ok because we should consider him as having no feelings ;) :p

jk.. tough situation, definitely very frustrating. if all else fails, i'd suggest u respectfully mimic what he's doing so he can clearly see you're just feeding each adn every shot to the opponent; and that there should be no more smashworthy shots fed than absolutely needed in any situation.

besides, there's no substitute for court time. since your skills are mismatched, play with/against him in a simulation game, take a break every 2-3pts and speak out your mind as regards technique. he has to be able to trust you and see what you're seeing. once that's accomplished, he can feel like he really belongs and is part of a team, where he has a role to play... and he knows what's comings

14. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    i don't want to have anything to do with him. hahaha! he's complaining that his knees always hurt whenever we play and i'm telling him that's because you have the wrong footwork.

15. vcrpex

vcrpex Regular Member

sales
    I understand how you feel, but just remember that when you first started playing badminton, you probably have encountered the same situation where you are the weaker of the 2. How do you feel when you are in the situation? Yes you want to improve and that is a good thing. but do remember to give others a chance to grow as well. it might not be fair for you, but you still can take it as a good training game because you will have alot of chance to return smash or drive back the smash if the smash are weak. And generally you will have to cover a much larger court yourself, take it as a learning game. The more you are unhappy with your partner, the more you wun play well or even attempt to play your best. Then you wun improve. I do want to win as well, who doesn't? but end of the day, if you are angry, you cant play your best game because you will not be able to think of the best way to win your opponent as you have lost the game in your mind.

16. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    i understand where you're coming from. but he's been playing for years before i even started. Also, I put a lot of effort in trying to improve my game. he's not. he thinks that his racket is not good enough that's why he's not able to make powerful shots. sigh! everyone in the group tries to help him. we show him the proper way to play but he doesn't listen. after a while, he goes back to his old self.

17. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Some people won't or cannot change. This is life. You'll make better use of your time by accepting such characters exist but concentrating on yourself. Anyway, bad idea for the team captain to include such persons in a very competitive atmosphere. Big mismatch.

18. Mr.H.

Mr.H. Regular Member

Student
    In life, you will have to learn and accept that you can't always measure people by the same standards you have set for yourself. I think that is the case here, he maybe is not as passionate about the game as you are or doesn't have the same drive to excel as you. You cannot talk in terms of blaming someone, he is not a faulted character because of that. He is just a different person.

Jilles likes this.
  19. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    yeah. I agree with you Cheung. They actually asked me 1st if I wanted to join. I said yes as long as they can find me a partner. I didn't know he was going to be my partner. I was confident to join as I know i have enough skills for the level I was playing for. I'm betting he might just have been dragged into it by our senior members so I can't totally blame him. Anyway, I've learned my lesson. I'll make sure to see my partner's game 1st before committing so I don't waste time and money.

20. reytave

reytave Regular Member

Database Administrator
    Yup! And I guess since he's been playing like this for many many years, it's just too hard for him to change. As I said before, he's a nice guy but just a terrible badminton player.