Thomas Cup - Malaysia Team

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by soulpx, Mar 18, 2014.

1. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    I think Chin Chai is overconfident and shouldn't underestimate the Koreans and Germans as well. Son Wan Ho and Lee Dong Keun's performance at the AE14 just showed how much they improved and they would probable give both Chong Wei and Wei Feng hard times.

As for men doubles, even without Yong Dae and Ki Jung, I don't quite see how the inconsistent Malaysian pairs can beat the Koreans.

2. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

the 3rd and 4th MS are the matter that worried about...

3. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I predict MAS will lose 1-3 to Korea. LCW is the only ACE Malaysia can hope for. The rest is shaky.

4. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    even leechongwei can lost to son wan ho... its like 70-30 for lcw...

5. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    It seems like Malaysia is aiming for "semifinals" ..?? How?? How did they predict the future accurately ??

6. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    Well, I guess that the dream of Malaysia reaching the Semifinal just goes up in smoke along with the ban on the Koreans.

7. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

looks like MAS need to redo the plan for their MD line up to against KOR team...!!

8. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

[h=2]Double trouble for Malaysia as Yong-dae, Ki-jung are back[/h]KUALA LUMPUR: Malaysia’s Thomas Cup task just got a lot harder, if it wasn’t daunting enough.
    This is after the Badminton World Federation (BWF) overturned the one-year ban on South Korean doubles duo Lee Yong-dae and Kim Ki-jung for failing to show up for doping tests last year.
    Yong-dae and Ki-jung who are respectively paired with Yoo Yeon-seong and Kim Sa-rang were slapped with the ban in January this year.
    But a review of the decision by the BWF doping hearing panel has found that Yong-dae and Ki-jung were not at fault.

Instead, it was the Badminton Korea Association (BKA) who failed in their care of players which led to the pair missing the tests.
    The BKA have been fined US$41,170 (RM133,703) for their apparent breach of conduct.
    In a press statement, the BWF stated that “the doping hearing panel have determined that the information presented at the January hearing was insufficient and ambiguous”.
    It also states that as such, the sanctions against Yong-dae and Ki-jung are now lifted and the pair are free to resume action immediately.
    The decision may be music to the Koreans’ ears but it spells trouble for Malaysia who are drawn in the same Group C, together with India and Germany for the premier team event from May 18-25 in New Delhi.
    With Malaysia’s doubles pairs’ poor results of late, the task of making it past the group stages seems almost mission impossible.
    Nevertheless, national doubles coach Pang Cheh Chang believes that Malaysia still have a realistic chance with the right preparations.
    “To be honest, it definitely makes our job a lot tougher now,” said Cheh Chang.
    “But at the end of the day, it doesn’t make much difference because my players still need to focus on their own game rather than on the Koreans.
    “The Koreans have proven that there is life even without Yong-dae and Ki-jung so it was a challenging task from the start anyway.”
    During the absence of Yong-dae and Ki-jung, their usual partners Yeon-seong-Sa-rang combined well to make the semi-finals of the Singapore Open last week.
    World No. 25 Ko Sung-hyun-Shin Baek-cheol, the third Korean pair, also hit a good patch with semi-final showings in the Singapore meet and the All-England.
    “I believe what’s most important for Malaysia is this period of preparation. The team have one month of centralised training without matches to distract them,” said Cheh Chang.
    “What my players need to work on now is their weaknesses. After several tournaments, everyone knows where they are weak and that is what we are looking to remedy.
    “At the end of the day, I believe we can still pull through if we are well prepared and focused on the task at hand,” added Cheh Chang.

9. indrg

indrg Regular Member

$41,170 is change money to KBA.

10. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Info from 1titan.com:

Misbun Ramdan & Zulfadli Zulkifli will go for the place of 4th MS of MAS Thomas Cup team, but they have to compete each other before go against Goh Soon Huat for the final phase of selection...

11. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    i thought GSH long time ago comfirmed as mas 4th single? why wanna go selection again? bam want misbun ramdan so bad huh??

12. SibugiChai

YAB
    its sad BAM keep moving the goal post to suit their need, GOH SOON HUAT must be sad, feel unfair that he should have won the place for the 4th spot...

just because of quota, GOH might has to give up... I FEEL FOR HIM!

sadding !!!

13. soulpx

soulpx Regular Member

Trader
    well maybe it has to do with the quota. but do you think Goh is the best candidate to play as 3rd ms if one of our first 3 singles injured/unfit ?

14. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

you mean this guy:

[TABLE="class: ruler matches"]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Lee Dong Keun[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Liew Daren[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]24-22 21-13[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

15. SibugiChai

YAB
    None of the backup players performance was brilliatn, ramdan won a few tournametn agiainst amautur in europe, zulfadli was WJC & nothing more, tan chun seng reach the final of vietnam gp???

For me, I think GOH is the right one, he manage to reach Malaysia GP final last year or a year before and also few years back he lost in the final of malaysia circuit to datuklee.

The fact that Goh is the only one that take the first trial seriously, show he is very determine to make the squad.

#35 SibugiChai, Apr 23, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2014
  16. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Goh may not good in any individual events, hope he's good and fit at team event, unless not like Kuan Beng Hong...

[TABLE="class: ruler matches"]
    [TR="bgcolor: transparent"]
    [TD="align: right"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="align: right"]Parupalli Kashyap[/TD]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD="align: center"]-[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][​IMG][/TD]
    [TD]Goh Soon Huat[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [/TD]
    [TD]21-14 21-17[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

17. SibugiChai

YAB
    [h=2]Kien Keat could be Malaysia’s wildcard: Chong Wei[/h]BY RAJES PAUL

[​IMG]Ex-national doubles shuttler Koo Kien Keat (left), seen here at the Malaysian GP Gold event last month, is now a member of a Thai professional badminton club. - Filepic

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Email
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: gig-button-td"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Facebook
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

KUALA LUMPUR: Former national doubles shuttler Koo Kien Keat could be back for the Thomas Cup Finals challenge after all.
    World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei on Friday proposed to the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) to bring back Kien Keat to strengthen Malaysia’s weakened team for the Finals, which will be held in New Delhi from May 18-25.
    The five doubles players already confirmed for the team event are Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong, Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem and Tan Boon Heong.
    The coaches will choose either Chan Peng Soon or Ow Yao Han as the sixth player but the selection has to be endorsed by BAM’s council on May 3.

Kien Keat used to partner Boon Heong and they won several titles – including at the 2006 Asian Games and 2007 All-England – during their 7½-year stint.
    The 29-year-old Kien Keat decided to leave BAM in March and turned professional by joining Granular – a Thailand badminton club based in Bangkok.
    Chong Wei believes that Kien Keat’s inclusion would give the coaches more options and also keep their rivals guessing on Malaysia’s probable line-ups.
    “I have shared this idea with the doubles coaches. I have also spoken to Kien Keat and he is okay about making a comeback. It all depends whether BAM are willing to let him,” said Chong Wei after a training session at the Juara Stadium in Bukit Kiara.
    “The idea to bring back Koo is purely for tactical reasons. Malaysia may choose youngster Yao Han but he could end up being a non-playing member unless someone gets injured. Wouldn’t it be better to bring someone with experience and who can be used for tactical reasons?”
    Chong Wei’s idea of bringing back Kien Keat is also due to the lack of strength in the men’s singles. The others in the fray for men’s singles are Chong Wei Feng, Liew Daren and probably Goh Soon Huat.
    Soon Huat won a selection trial for the fourth spot in the men’s singles but has to attend another one on Monday. He has to beat two others – former national champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun and former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli – to confirm his seat.
    Chong Wei hoped that Wei Feng and Daren will rise to the occasion. Wei Feng is nursing hip and thigh injuries while Daren suffered another first round loss in the ongoing Asian Badminton Championships (ABC) in Gimcheon, South Korea.

18. SibugiChai

YAB
    [h=2]Soon Huat’s not giving up his Thomas Cup spot just yet[/h]BY RAJES PAUL

[​IMG]Goh Soon Huat will have to attend another trial to select the fourth singles player for the Malaysia Thomas Cup squad. - Filepic

[TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Email
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [TD][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="class: gig-button-td"][TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [TD]Facebook
    [/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[/TD]
    [TD]

[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

KUALA LUMPUR: What happened to national back-up shuttler Goh Soon Huat would have broken the spirit of a lesser man.
    But, then, Soon Huat is made of sterner stuff.
    The 24-year-old shuttler came out tops in the first selection trial last month to choose the fourth men’s singles player for the Thomas Cup Finals.
    Unfortunately for him, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) have decided to call for a second trial to accommodate two players – former national champion Misbun Ramdan Misbun and former world junior champion Zulfadli Zulkiffli.

ADVERTISEMENT

Ramdan and Zulfadli did not participate in the first trial because they were both ill. They produced medical letters to justify their decisions to skip the trial.
    But Soon Huat, though demoralised with the decision, is not about to let it dampen his spirit.
    “I was disappointed when I found out about the second trial. I thought that I had done my part ... but I guess I’m still not considered good enough. I have accepted the decision and am looking forward to the fight to win a ticket to the Finals,” he said on Saturday.
    “I went for the last Thomas Cup Finals (in Wuhan in 2012) as a sparring partner. I’ve had enough of being a sparring partner. This time, I want to be a member of the team.”
    The three singles players confirmed for the Finals are world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, Chong Wei Feng and Liew Daren.
    Soon Huat, last year’s Malaysian Open runner-up, however, admitted that the standard of all three players for the second trial “is quite close”.
    He had lost to the skilful Ramdan once – at the Malaysian Open qualifying tournament in January – but beat him twice last year. He has a 1-1 record against the aggressive Zulfadli.
    His match against Ramdan at the Malaysian Open was his first major outing in many months after taking a long break.
    He had undergone surgery in October after suffering from constant dizzy spells. He even fainted while playing in the Indonesian Open GP Gold in September. Doctors found a blood clot near the area in his brain.
    But the resolute Soon Huat proved that he had recovered completely when he defeated Tan Chun Seang and Mohd Arif Abdul Latif en route to winning the first trial.
    “It (the second trial) will be a close affair among the three of us ... but I hope to come out a winner,” said Soon Huat.
    Ramdan and Zulfadli will take on each other first tomorrow. The winner will then face Soon Huat.
    In the men’s doubles, five players have confirmed their places. They are Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong, Lim Khim Wah-Goh V Shem and Tan Boong Heong.
    BAM will now choose one more from these three players – Chan Peng Soon, Ow Yao Han and Koo Kien Keat.

19. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Cmon... Ramdan and Zulfadli both malas lah... tak perlu drag mereka lagi kalau tdk mau bela negara... huh. Malaysia masih ada bumiputra preference... no good will come out of it.

20. SibugiChai

YAB
    [h=1]Ramdan’s burning desire[/h]
    By Ajitpal Singh | ajitpalsingh@nst.com.my

0 comments

[h=2]LEGACY: Player wants to continue Sidek family’s Thomas Cup tradition[/h]MISBUN Ramdan Misbun’s dream is to continue the legacy of the Sidek family in the Thomas Cup.
    Regarded as one of the most promising local shuttlers, the World No 48 will play national player Goh Soon Huat in a special trial for a spot in the 10-member Thomas Cup squad at Juara Stadium in Bukit Jalil today.
    The winner of this match will join World No 1 Lee Chong Wei, Chong Wei Feng and Liew Daren along with six doubles players in the competition in New Delhi on May 18-25.
    Ramdan, the son of former national champion Misbun Sidek, was supposed to take on Zulfadli Zulkiffli yesterday with the winner playing Soon Huat but the former world junior champion did not show up. It is believed that the World No 59 has not recovered from an injury.
    The BA of Malaysia (BAM) had a trial last month with Soon Huat topping independent shuttlers Tan Chun Seang and Arif Latif but nullified the results to accommodate Ramdan and Zulfadli, who were absent due to various reasons.
    “Zulfadli did not turn-up but I heard he replied the invitation with a medical letter today. I believe he has not returned to full fitness after getting injured in the recent Malaysian GP Gold. We will continue with the trial with Ramdan facing Soon Huat for the fourth singles slot,” said national coach Rashid Sidek yesterday.
    On whether Zulfadli’s absence has interrupted the team’s preparation for the Thomas Cup, Rashid felt the shuttler should have informed BAM earlier over his unavailability.
    “We could have completed the trial today (yesterday). As a coach, I am only doing my duty and giving opportunities to players to fight for a spot in the team,” said Rashid, a former Olympic bronze medallist.
    Rashid is anticipating a good match between Ramdan and Soon Huat.
    “We can expect a quality match and healthy rivalry between two upcoming players. It will be tough to predict the outcome,” he added.
    Ramdan, who is coached by his father, is making the grade in Europe-based lower-tier competitions with four victories to his name since December.
    His uncles, Rashid, Razif, Jalani and Rahman played a pivotal role in Malaysia’s last Thomas Cup victory 22 years ago in Kuala Lumpur. Ramdan, a former national champion, is hoping to emulate them.
    However, Ramdan’s dream could be squashed today as his opponent Soon Huat, a finalist of last year’s Malaysian GP Gold, is determined to make his debut in the Thomas Cup.
    “I am in good shape heading to this match. Ramdan has his qualities so do I. If I win today, it will be good for my confidence but if I lose, I will fight on to earn a spot in the team for the next Thomas Cup,” said Soon Huat.
    Soon Huat lost to Ramdan once — at the Malaysian Open qualifying tournament in January — but beat him twice last year.
    [​IMG]Misbun Ramdan Misbun has won four Europe-based lower-tier competitions since December.
    <1 / 1 >

Read more: Ramdan’s burning desire - Badminton - New Straits Times http://www.nst.com.my/sports/badmin...ii/ed-1.1176//2.2525/2.2?key=ma#ixzz30GkYX6xy