2014 Li Ning BWF Thomas & Uber Cups - Day 6 : SEMIFINALS (23rd May 2014)

Discussion in 'Thomas Cup / Uber Cup 2014' started by CLELY, May 22, 2014.

1. pociteh

pociteh Regular Member

Student
    The JPN girls' voices have such distinguishable frequency.. I can very clearly hear them throughout.

2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    6 game points to Hirose

3. gopalprasad

gopalprasad Regular Member

Software Architect
    Ok, Can I atleast get you to say tantalizingly close up there.... racing along with 2-3 other nations together to be in the top 4
    JPN better in paper but a 50-50 chance with IND in a team match like its proven here
    INA weak singles (IND defeated them)...
    THA (50-50 chance) IND defeated them...
    Den doesnt have a singles player...
    Mas similar to Den...

Take a rematch with the current teams of these countries and the results would me more or like same, wouldnt you agree...
    Now Can I atleast get you to say tantalizingly closer, please... :)

4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I would say tantilising is not the correct adjective. I would use that word if India's second women's doubles pair had a top 15 world ranking.

Indonesia is not a top tier country for ladies.

There are only two - China and Korea. Thailand have faltered.

5. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Right now as things stand, IND WD1 is not even in the world TOP 30... I couldnt even hope for the WD2 to be in top 15 anytime in near future.... if it were I would have been rooting for them to beat CHN :)
    I have to give up, I suppose...

6. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    No need ask others opinion. India is improving and it's proving already. We are in semifinals. Everybody has different opinion. We are already there. Some of the chinese fans never gonna accept it. That's true.

7. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    [=gopalprasad;2236923]Yes, IND definitely needs to groom doubles for its liking, still With the way I see the top 3 matches of IND in the uber cup barring CHN and Korea to an extent, IND seems at par with atleast 50-50 chances against all the rest...
    Hence amongst the top tier team...
    as I type PC Thulasi in the lead in WS3[/QUOTE]

Let's just say it boils down to FORM of the day.

JPN's TC team seems to peak at the right time. And Tago's upset on CL has inspired his team mates to perform above themselves.
    At other not so comfortable times, Tago seemed helpless and his form in tatters!
    Even JPN's MD1 lost to DEN before this.

IND UC team is in form and further aided by home ground advantage. SN and Sindhu's WR are high, I think generally higher than their opponents. However as Cheung has said IND doesn't have a well-balanced team with its shortfall mainly in doubles. Remember SN has not been performing well till this UC and her timely revival makes a great difference to the team.

8. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    Not really, I have to say unfortunately. No offense but two goods single players don't automatically put you in the 1st tier. The WD1 pair is good on home ground but we will need more than that. Matsutomo and Takahashi are really the first top WD pair they meet in this tournament. The reason I said so is because when you look at the ranking score for WD, the top four are just one class above the rest. And beside, in the Badminton Asia Champ, they were beaten quite convincingly by the Luo twins, a 2nd level Chinese pair.

Japan has a overall more balanced team. The only points so far for India came from the first two singles and I don't see India winning more than that. Except for Indonesia WD1 pair, I don't think their team is that strong. Thailand, even though their doubles are not that good, they have 4 strong single players that consistently appear in the last stages of big events.

9. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Where is thailand now in this tournament?.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Just because both CHN and INA lost 3 nil does not in anyway herald the beginning of a new era or changing of the guards in men's badminton - it's definitely still too early to say. Particularly for CHN or LYB if you like, one Thomas Cup loss in view of the long line of many they have won over the last two decades is just a blip, I daresay. Let's just say , every dog has its day.

If anything, the shock defeat for CHN esp, will, I believe, on the contrary and bearing in mind CHN's depth of talents, make CBA more determined than ever and deeply in earnest to address whatever shortcomings and drawbacks they have. The end result can only be CHN emerging more formidable and dominant than before in the near future. That's how I see it, humbly speaking.

11. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Yes there is no debating the fact that IND is too weak in the doubles department but the 2 singles player & 1 WD have put up IND in contention...
    I say IND is closer to the top 4 just cause may be others are faltering... IND has its weaknesses like the rest...
    I am looking up to the 5th match... 2 years back I said I would wish to see the 2 singles player are paired together and win IND a couple of WD matches as well... if that happens IND would be there...
    I am looking to the 5th match today...

12. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    India of the track????will the dream to enter finale be unaccomplished??

13. doantram

doantram Regular Member

Student
    Where are you trying to get at with that question? I didn't say Thailand is better than India or anything so stop being so sensitive. India is improving and everybody is glad to hear that. But the truth is India is far from being in the 1st tier, that's the truth. And a good thing with truth is that it is true whether you choose to believe it or not. India still has a long way to go and I think they are heading the right direction.

And one note for you, stop being so sensitive and think that everybody is attacking India. People don't go to bed at night and pray that India will lose or something.

#733 doantram, May 23, 2014
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  14. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Yes CHN is the strong power house...
    But their Mens team has been weak since quite some time now... actually after Lin Dan planned to play lesser their singles as well is not guaranteed yes CL is strong may be the 2nd best player in the world but he aint LCW either, they give the rest chances still and that wasnt a case few years back....
    Their women team different story altogehter...

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    You can't expect aswini/jwala to win the world rank 4 pair all of a sudden. They playedbrilliantly despite their low ranking. And also we can't expect thulasi to win eriko all of a sudden.

16. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

And where are India's doubles pairs in many other tournaments? Very far behind. I'd like to see 2 singles pairs in top 15 and two doubles pairs in top 15 with at least one of each in the top 5. Then I will say India is in top tier.

17. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Cheer up for the 5th match, thats the only chance for IND now... :)

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not just Hirose, both Maeda and Kakiiwa can breathe easier now.

19. gopalprasad

Software Architect
    Hopefully/Ameen/Wishes this comes true....
    If that happens CHN would be looking at a very tough competitor :)

20. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Well. We are not expecting your opinion. Well. We know what you will say.