how much tension can racques stand?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by aldous, Nov 20, 2001.

1. aldous

aldous Guest

I heard a lot of people strung 25 some even 28 pounds. I have a friend told me he strung his boron2 about 24. He broke his racque. I have a cab10 long and cab 14(new unstrung). I strung my cab10 long 20 pound. 20 is too soft. I wish I can string it to 22(main) 24 (cross) at least , but manufacturer recommend max 20(main) 22(cross). I don't know about cab 14 since it's out of production. Can anyone tell me how much tension those racques can stand?

2. modious

modious Regular Member

It can withstand at least 22lbs.

There're people who strung their Iso Ti SR rackets at 25lbs even though the recommended tension was16(main), 18(cross).

3. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Shouldn't be a problem. Rackets can take tensions higher than what they recommend. The only reason why they recommend lower tensions is just in case a racket is broken during the process of being strung at a higher tension. The company wont take the blame for damage.

I have a Cab 20 Original, which was the 1st 1 piece graphite racket. And i had it strung at 26lbs. Even though, the highest recommended tension was only 20lbs.

4. VINCENT

VINCENT Regular Member

Clerk
    Main string can handle up to 33 lbs. and across can stand up to 35 lbs. But one must be very caution while string at this tension. I string up for all the national players with this tension and have not broken any of the racket just yet (hopefully not in the future either).
    If you try to put more than 33 lbs. for the main string the frame will be collapsed.
    The high tension is for the strong wrist players only and I really do not recommend it.

5. Daylightkiller

Daylightkiller Regular Member

Student
    Re:

Well, my as-1 on the little booklet that came with it, it says it can support up to 40 lbs, although i never tried. but at 28 lbs, it doesn't seem to have any problems

6. crosstrainer

crosstrainer Regular Member

IT consultant
    one of the reasons why alternative brands are making headway in the phils is because they actually put higher "maximum-allowable tensions" on the racket. Take for example, RSL Millenium Attack 3200. Costing Php2400 (about US$42), this racket can take up to 28lbs. If you have it strung at Toby's (biggest sporting goods store here) at 28lbs without signing a waiver (which cancels your right to have your racket replaced in case they ruin it with their stringing)

Yonex rackets, have lower recommended tensions (20 to 24lbs) and if you want to have em' strung at say 25lbs, you'll have to sign the waiver.

Aside from RSL, there are other racket brands that can take higher tensions like Prince, SOTX, MMOA, Ashaway, Fleet and Chao Pai... and all of them are cheaper than Yonex.

7. skates

skates Regular Member

Designer. Also working with Lee Jae Bok promoting
    A friend of mine just got back from stringing at the All England.

Here's what he had to say about the experience.

"All England stringing was fun, but knackering. I did Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday - there were 7 of us and we did around 500 rackets in the first 3 days - I've strung loads of Nanospeed 7000 and 8000s as they were all being given out to the players. On the Thursday, they dropped down to 6 stringers and then on Friday down to 3 onwards as the number of rackets coming in dies down. I was around on Thursday - either with the stringers by court 1 or in the Yonex showroom downstairs. Didn't get to see much badminton - only match I did watch was Nathan and Gails match on Thursday - that was it! My fingers are pretty sore and the skin has come off the tips - its sure hard word - I think I strung about 38 rackets, mainly on day 1 and 2 as I was demonstrating the new Yonex stringing machine in the showroom on Wednesday so had loads of interruptions. My maximum tension was 34lbs for Boe of Denmark - somebody else did do a 36lbs - now that is tight!"

Sounds like fun!

I now have my racket strung to 26lbs which I like. However, I do get through
    strings a lot more than I used to.

Skates

8. zgungravez

zgungravez Regular Member

My Yonex MP 77

I strung my Yonex Muscle Power MP 77 at 26 lbs ... it was really good, but too many hits to the head collapsed the frame....130 $ down the drain...it was only 3 weeks old !!!:crying: But yeah caution is required not to hit the bird with the head of the racquet, hit the racquet against the ground or anything else that's relatively solid!!! Good luck!

9. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I don't think too many hits to the head from a shuttle will collapse the frame. The damage to your MP 77 was probably done at the time of stringing, resulting in an unstable racquet frame, brought about by a variety of bad stringing practices.
    I now string regularly for my friends from 24/26lbs (the lowest) to 29/32lbs. For very old non-Yonex racquets, including many fakes, I still string at 24/26lbs. So far I have not heard of any collapsing racquets from hits to the head on racquets that I string.
    Hitting the racquet against more solid things is another matter. :D

10. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    How bout the lower end racquets like my MP30? The stringer recommended me not to go higher than the recommendations.....

What's the max lb do you guys think it can take before it'll break?

11. taneepak

taneepak Regular Member

Designing and producing quality feather shuttlecoc
    I have strung cheaper racquets than MP30 at 26/28lbs without any problem. The key is to properly mount a racquet in a 6-point machine, do a qc check at every cross string tensioned by tightening all the side supports that will get loose, quite often, during the stringing process. There is almost no strain or any distortion when stringing, if you constantly monitor the side supports that have to withstand enormous forces at high tensions. After dismounting the racquet from the machine, the combined forces of the mains with the 'neutralizing' countering 10% higher forces of the cross strings do not impose any undue stress on the frame or on the side supports. The 'rupturing' occurs only when the frame is shattered in an accidental clash with your partner, caused by the 'unbalanced' powerful forces of the tensioned strings gone wild. :D

12. zgungravez

Ty!

Wow! Thanks alot taneepak for the new info on this racquet business! Its really gonna help next time i re-string. But i from now on im stringing only at 22-23 lbs of tension, i find that to be my magical number :D

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If 22/23 is ur comfortable zone, there's no need to over push for higher. It's not like if u use 26lb, u can automatically become a pro. ;)

For myself, BG85 @ 23lb fits for my well. Once I just tried 25lb, and feel my shoulder is about to falling off after 2 sessions. Therefore, lessons learned... :p

14. zgungravez

True True

Yes, i strung my Muscle Power MP 77 at 26 just to see what it was like...right after i broke it i immidiately switched to another MP 77 with strings at 22 lbs and that felt much better. For me, lesson hard and well learned...it only cost me my two-week old MP 77 :crying: