Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    I strongly disagree with your statement that the right message from BWF is to have only active players in the BWF circuit eligible for the WC. If it is the WC, the best players, including the defending champion must be in it if not the title of the next WC Champion will be very very shallow. The WC should be a fair platform for the best players in the world participating to win, not only for BWF "selected players, including LCW. Your "biggest pix" is sadly very short-sighted...

2. SibugiChai

SibugiChai Regular Member

YAB
    First question is who is the best player?I do agree Lin Dan is the best player of all time but WC2014 is for the best players from the qualifying period from 2013-2014, which lin dan has not proven himself to be among the best for this period. The rules has been set long-long time ago… lin dan did not just found out, or did he?If pass records are to be taken into consideration, peter gade, taufik, xia xuanze & even rudy hartono should be included, especially peter gade because this time WC is in danmark.Lin dan in this 2013-14 period has not proof himself to be among the best, he won 2 small tournament back to back, does that proof that he is among the best ? Even our Hafiz hashim did that few years back, maybe we should recall him too.Not even the coming fifa worlcup2014 allowed the defending champ to go back door, Spain has to qualify through merit.BWF did not select the players, the players themselves select to play through competition throughout the qualifying period. Short sighted? LOL… the game is bigger than one person…

3. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Looks like you're just arguing for argument's sake and fudging the issues I brought up by bringing up other players who cannot compare with or weren’t in similar situations as Lin Dan - eg Hafiz Hashim won two small tournaments, and what else did he achieve that is even remotely comparable to Lin Dan's when not even PG, TH, XXZ (and imagine you going way back to Rudy Hartono - what's the relevance?) could be placed in the same league ?Talking about rules, they aren't set in stone, unchanged for all time and circumstances, and that's part of the reason for having wild cards which itself is against the normal rules. Your FIFA world cup example isn't appropriate - firstly, it is a quadrennial not annual event; secondly, until 2002 the defending champions also received automatic berths, but starting from 2006 it was no longer the case because it was felt that four years is a long time for a team of 11 players to maintain their form. In chess, my example if you like,the defending champion simply waits for the challenger to emerge from among the qualifiers without him, the titleholder, having to compete against everyone of them round after round (there are many more interesting details which I shan't go into here to support my case).Enough said for me here as this topic has been repeatedly and continually discussed and debated elsewhere, in the more relevant threads. Thanks,laivc, for contributing a strong rebuttal, one that I'd be most happy to make my own.Here is a write-up on wild cards in professional tennis [extracted from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_card_(sports)]:Professional tennis In professional tennis tournaments, a wild card refers to a tournament entry awarded to a player at the discretion of the organizers. All ATP and WTA tournaments have a few spots set aside for wild cards in both the main draw, and the qualifying draw, for players who otherwise would not have made either of these draws with their professional ranking. They are usually awarded to players from the home and/or sponsoring country (sometimes after a tournament where the winner is awarded the wild card), promising young players, players that are likely to draw a large crowd, have won the tournament earlier or players who were once ranked higher and are attempting a comeback. High ranked players can also ask for a wild card if they want to enter a non-mandatory tournament after the normal entry deadline, for example because they lost early in another tournament. This means a wild card player sometimes becomes the top seed. Some Grand Slam tournaments swap wild cards, like Australian Open, French Open and US OpatNotable wildcardsIn 2001, Goran Ivanišević won the Wimbledon Men's Singles Championships having been handed a wild-card entry by the organising All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. At the time, he was ranked World No.125.In 2009, Kim Clijsters won the US Open tournament, after receiving a wild-card entry. It was her first Grand Slam tournament since announcing her comeback to the sport, having first retired in 2007 to start a family.In 2012, Jonathan Marray and Frederik Nielsen won the Wimbledon Men's Doubles after being selected as a wildcard.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Looks like you're just arguing for argument's sake and fudging the issues I brought up by bringing up other players who cannot compare with or weren’t in similar situations as Lin Dan - eg Hafiz Hashim won two small tournaments, and what else did he achieve that is even remotely comparable to Lin Dan's when not even PG, TH, XXZ (and imagine you going way back to Rudy Hartono - what's the relevance?) could be placed in the same league ?Talking about rules, they aren't set in stone, unchanged for all time and circumstances, and that's part of the reason for having wild cards which itself is against the normal rules. Your FIFA world cup example isn't appropriate - firstly, it is a quadrennial not annual event; secondly, until 2002 the defending champions also received automatic berths, but starting from 2006 it was no longer the case because it was felt that four years is a long time for a team of 11 players to maintain their form. In chess, my example if you like,the defending champion simply waits for the challenger to emerge from among the qualifiers without him, the titleholder, having to compete against everyone of them round after round (there are many more interesting details which I shan't go into here to support my case).Enough said for me here as this topic has been repeatedly and continually discussed and debated elsewhere, in the more relevant threads. Thanks,laivc, for contributing a strong rebuttal, one that I'd be most happy to make my own.Here is a write-up on wild cards in professional tennis [extracted from wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_card_(sports)]:Professional tennis In professional tennis tournaments, a wild card refers to a tournament entry awarded to a player at the discretion of the organizers. All ATP and WTA tournaments have a few spots set aside for wild cards in both the main draw, and the qualifying draw, for players who otherwise would not have made either of these draws with their professional ranking. They are usually awarded to players from the home and/or sponsoring country (sometimes after a tournament where the winner is awarded the wild card), promising young players, players that are likely to draw a large crowd, have won the tournament earlier or players who were once ranked higher and are attempting a comeback. High ranked players can also ask for a wild card if they want to enter a non-mandatory tournament after the normal entry deadline, for example because they lost early in another tournament. This means a wild card player sometimes becomes the top seed. Some Grand Slam tournaments swap wild cards, like Australian Open, French Open and US OpatNotable wildcardsIn 2001, Goran Ivanišević won the Wimbledon Men's Singles Championships having been handed a wild-card entry by the organising All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club. At the time, he was ranked World No.125.In 2009, Kim Clijsters won the US Open tournament, after receiving a wild-card entry. It was her first Grand Slam tournament since announcing her comeback to the sport, having first retired in 2007 to start a family.In 2012, Jonathan Marray and Frederik Nielsen won the Wimbledon Men's Doubles after being selected as a wildcard.

5. SibugiChai

YAB
    wow... long post u have there justin, i just read the first few lines, u win... hehehe

6. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

No double standard should be allowed no matter olympic champion or worldchampion. Lin Dan should show some effort if he wants the wildcard. But from the way i see it, he doesn't gv a F

7. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Coz he won't be losing to anyone. That's why. For LCW, it might be mixed feelings - relieved coz his strongest rival is not in. A sense of un-fulfillment coz he don't get a chance to beat ld and win.

8. SibugiChai

YAB
    LOL... so many Lin Dan's sour grapes supporters inside LCW forum... hahaha, it must be very frustrating for them when BWF not granting the wild card to Lin Dan.

9. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    They can't accept that their BWF snubbed their idol and came out with a long list of reasons which most are the same as last year's, being the defending champion. As I said, Spain has to play in the qualifying too.WTF, the rules are there. As one member clearly said, LD chose not to participate in tournaments to earn sufficient points while other slogged, trained and traveled the world over and you tell them. sorry, dude, your place is given to the defending champion because he was enjoying life.

10. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    It's not LCW's or the next to be 2014 World Champion's fault if they won without LD taking part.You expect other participants to request BWF to allow LD in? LOL.Maybe on a friendly gesture, the new champion can challenge LD to a match.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, as I was saying in the other thread. It's no big deal that LD misses WC 2014. After all he chose to not compete in the 12 months leading up to it. So how can he be qualified to be a competitor for this WC. This is not the mother of all WC. It's only WC 2014. He knows he's still the best being OG 2008 and 2012 and WC 2013 champion. So he decided to take a break and a break he'll get.

12. SibugiChai

YAB
    I think its no Big Deal for LIN DAN not to play in WC2014 but A REALLY BIG DEAL for his FANS, looks at all those post in BC about him not playing... hahaha... maybe or just maybe, all these frustrated fans can go together to meet li yongbo and beg him to include lin dan or the fans can go to BWF to appeal on lin dan behalf instead of 'foruming' which might not reach BWF .

13. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

14. Jonc108

Jonc108 Regular Member

it's no big deal LD play or not play, and no big deal whoever wins without LD, it's a big deal to see so many hypocritical and coward players' view against the possibility of LD player, last year and this year, and therefore what I did say in this forum. I am so much p-off and looking down on these so-called elites players of badminton...

15. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    LCW won silver whilst LD won bronze today!

16. y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n

y_o_n_e_x_m_a_n Regular Member

LCW played well today and showed Tago why he is still no.1

17. flite

flite Regular Member

It seemed a big deal to you as you sounded that you cared so much!

Anyway you are missing the point here. All they complained about is the inconsistency of the R&R for granting a wild card and not it's about LD. He came into the picture as he was the defending champion. You chose to ignore the fact.

On hypocrisy, speaking of which it takes a bigger thieve to catch a thieve.:rolleyes:

Relax mate if in fact it's no big deal.;)

18. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

Lin Dan's fan should not post any nonsense on LCW's thread. Be gone.

19. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Major badminton gold still eludes Lee Chong Wei

NEW DELHI: For badminton legend Lee Chong Wei, it remained a story of so near yet so far, as Japan beat Malaysia 3-2 in a tense and thrilling World Men's Team Championship to lift their maiden Thomas Cup title at the Siri Fort Sports Complex on Sunday.

Men's singles World No. 1 Chong Wei is a great of the sport but still has not been able to earn the top prize in any of badminton's majors, be it the Olympics, World Championships, Thomas Cup or the Sudirman Cup.

The 31-year-old has lost two Olympic finals to China's Lin 'Super' Dan in 2008 and 2012, settling down for the silver.

Chong Wei also went down to Dan in two World Championship finals in 2011 and 2013 to have two silvers in addition to a bronze he got from the 2005 edition.

In the Sudirman Cup (World Mixed Team Championship), Chong Wei has only a mere bronze from the 2009 edition while in the Thomas Cup, he has three bronzes (2006, 2008, 2010) and now a silver from the 2014 tournament here.

But the gold from a major tournament still eludes him. The question is will he be able to finally achieve it at the upcoming World Championships to be held in Copenhagen in August?

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...eludes-Lee-Chong-Wei/articleshow/35610628.cms

20. M3Series

M3Series Regular Member

People should let this poor chap alone la. If anyone know how hard he worked he ass off being like who he is right now, it's kinda sad for him to be in such squad. Such management. Such pressure. He's a sad case. Period