Commonwealth Games Updates, News & Promos

Discussion in 'Commonwealth Games 2014' started by Mr. Epic, May 28, 2014.

1. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
  2. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    I can win gold at CWG: Parupalli Kashyap

NEW DELHI: Ace shuttler Parupalli Kashyap, who finished with a bronze at the Delhi Commonwealth Games four years ago, says he is targeting a gold medal in the men's singles and hopes lady luck will be on his side during the Glasgow edition.

"Gold is a realistic target. With (World No. 1 shuttler) Lee Chong Wei withdrawing, it has opened up the tournament. I am the second seed and I know I can win the gold," Kashyap said ahead of the team's departure to Glasgow, Scotland.

"However, it is not going to be easy as we have players like Wei Feng Chong and Rajiv Ouseph. They both are good players. Rajiv won the silver last time and he had some good results against Chinese players. He also did well at European Championship," he added.

The 2012 London Olympics quarterfinalist said K Srikanth and RMV Gurusaidutt also have bright chances of bagging medals.

"Both Srikanth and Gurusaidutt also have a good chance to win. Both have done well and has nothing to lose. Something which was my case four years back.

"Srikanth is unpredictable but he knows he has won the Thailand Open and beaten some top players. In 2010, I had not won the nationals even but he won it this year. Guru, too, was good in Thomas Cup," he said.

Kashyap said he hoped to see himself and his colleagues give their best ever performance at the July 23-August 3 event.

"We won four medals four years ago and I hope this time it turns out to be our best ever Commonwealth Games. We have (P V) Sindhu in women's singles, me and K Srikanth, too, have a bright chance of winning medals in men's singles, especially with Lee Chong Wei pulling out.

"Also Jwala and Ashwini should get a medal in women's doubles. They are playing good. With Jwala back in the mix, they had some good results at the Uber Cup, Asian Badminton Championship and also at Indonesia and Japan. It will be difficult in men's and mixed doubles but if they can pull off nothing better," said Kashyap.

Asked about the mixed team event, Kashyap said: "It will be very interesting and we are definitely in the mix for a medal.

"England will depend on mixed doubles and men's singles and they have a decent men's doubles. Singapore will depend on their doubles, mainly mixed and women's, while Malaysia will need men's singles and men's doubles. While for India, it will be men's and women's singles, as well as women's doubles."

Talking about his form and fitness, Kashyap said: "It has been a difficult year for me with my shoulder troubling me. But now it has stabilised. I am still tapping it but it doesn't bother me. I am comfortable.

"I had a good preparation for the last two weeks with special emphasis on strengthening my legs and some weight training. Otherwise it was all about sharpening the basics.

"I played well in Japan and Indonesia but I was unlucky as I lost from match points. I knew if I can cross the first hurdle I can go deeper in the event but I was short on luck. So I am hoping that luck favours me this time," said the 27-year-old.

Kashyap has been leading the men's singles ever since the Commonwealth Games bronze and he said it has been extremely difficult.

"In 2010, Chetan (Anand) was India's No. 1, while me and Anup were in the 20s and 30s and so it was extremely happy moment for me when I won the bronze," said Kashyap, who bagged the 2012 Syed Modi International India Grand Prix Gold.

"In the next two years, I broke into the top 10 and I have been inside top 20 for five years now. It's not easy. But I have to work harder. I want to be back in the top 10 by this year end," he signed off.

3. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    ‘V’ is for Victory in shuttler Goh’s name

doc6g8egolwtgkkh79jcub.jpg

GLASGOW: It has been more than two years since Goh V Shem changed his middle name in a bid to turn around his badminton fortunes.

So far, things have certainly been all right for the player formerly known as Goh Wei Shem.

He has gone from being a nobody to becoming one of the countries top men’s doubles shuttlers.

This year, he won his first Superseries title at the Malaysian Open with Lim Khim Wah; played a crucial role with Tan Wee Kiong in helping Malaysia finish as runners-up at the Thomas Cup Finals in New Delhi in May; and risen to the occasion with whoever he has been partnered with.

For the Glasgow Commonwealth Games badminton competition, which begins on Thursday, V Shem will partner Wee Kiong and, on paper, they stand a good chance of winning the gold.

But V Shem is not ready to look so far ahead.

For now, he prefers to look back at how he came to change his middle name in 2012.

“My father wanted me to change my name so that I can have better prospect in badminton. He believes in feng shui and told me to drop the Wei in my name and to replace it with V … which stands for victory,” he recalled.

“Things have changed for the better in my badminton career since then.

“Personally, though, it’s just another name. I have worked really hard to be where I am … there is still so much more to achieve.

“For now, my eyes are fixed on winning the Commonwealth Games gold medal with Wee Kiong,” added V Shem, who arrived here on Saturday.

So focused is he on his mission here that he is not going to take anyone lightly – especially Chris Adcock-Andrew Ellis of England and Danny Bawa Chrisnanta-Chayut Triyachart of Singapore.

V Shem is still haunted by the embarrassing loss he and Khim Wah suffered at the hands of Danny-Chayut in the final of the Malaysian Open GP Gold at Pasir Gudang, Johor, in April.

“It’s a big mistake to underestimate your opponent. I have learnt my lesson. Wee Kiong and I will be wary of every pair at the Commonwealth Games,” he said

Malaysia’s other pair - Chan Peng Soon-Chong Wei Feng - are likely to challenge for the bronze only.

Wei Feng’s main target is the men’s singles. In the absence of world No. 1 Lee Chong Wei, he is seen as the best bet for the gold.

At the last Games in New Delhi four years ago, badminton delivered four golds – through Chong Wei (men’s singles), Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong (men’s doubles), Kien Keat-Chin Eei Hui (mixed doubles) and the mixed team event.

4. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Wei Feng out to shed choker’s tag in C’wealth Games

doc6fp17woy8z9g7g04af5.jpg

PETALING JAYA: World No. 20 Chong Wei Feng has one thing on his mind at the Glasgow Commonwealth Games – erase the choker’s tag once and for all.

The crafty lefthanded shuttler has improved by leaps and bounds over the past two years, rising from world No.1 Lee Chong Wei’s shadow to be a dependable competitor in tournaments.

But the 27-year-old Wei Feng, who has yet to win an international title, has fallen short twice when it mattered most.

In the SEA Games last year, the Kedahan, who was the top seed, was bundled out in the first round by Thailand’s Suppanyu Avihingsanon.

In the Thomas Cup Finals in May, Wei Feng crumbled under pressure to lose to Kento Momota as Malaysia lost 3-2 to Japan in the final.

With Chong Wei having pulled out from the Commonwealth Games due to a thigh injury, Wei Feng has possibly the best opportunity in his career to come good for once.

And Wei Feng, again been given the top billing, believes he has learned his lesson in dealing with the pressure after the defeat to Momota.

“The pressure is always there and it’s always tough to handle, but I learned my lesson after losing to Momota,” said Wei Feng.

“Now, I am stronger mentally and physically and I’m prepared to give my best shot to win.

“Malaysia have always delivered a singles gold in the Commonwealth Games and I want to keep that tradition.

“I will not fall so easily this time although it’s still a tough competition, especially with strong opponents from India. Thus, my target is to make it into the semi-finals first and take it from there.”

Wei Feng’s main challengers will be the Indian trio of second seed P. Kashyap, fourth seed K. Srikanth and fifth seed R. M. V. Gurusaidutt.

England’s Rajiv Ouseph is also a tricky customer as the No.3 seed.

Malaysia also have Liew Daren, who is seeded seventh, in the fray.

The Malaysian shuttlers, who arrived in Glasgow on Saturday, have been set a modest target of two golds.

5. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Jing Yi promises to give her all in honour of MH17

doc6fdsknk5kom110fdd2ms.jpg
    GLASGOW: Commonwealth Games debutant Tee Jing Yi is sad about the fate of the passengers of the downed Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17.

She is filled with sorrow for the 298 passengers who perished when the plane was shot down over eastern Ukraine on Thursday.

The 23-year-old Penangite, who arrived in Glasgow on Saturday, said she was shocked when she heard about the incident.

“It is sad that innocent people, including more than 80 children, died in the incident. It’s a gloomy day for Malaysia,” she said.

“Despite the incident, we promise we will give our best at the Commonwealth Games to honour them.”

Jing Yi, who did well to win all three matches in the Uber Cup Finals in New Delhi in May in straight games, hopes to win more than one medal in Glasgow.

“I believe we have a good chance to win the bronze in the team event despite not having the services of Lee Chong Wei (who is nursing a hamstring injury).

“I also want to go all out and nail a medal in the women’s singles,” said Jing Yi, whose chances of winning a medal in the women’s singles have been boosted by the absence of defending champion Saina Nehwal.

The Indian shuttler is recovering from blisters on her leg, which she suffered at the Australian Open recently.

India’s challenge will now be led by teenage debutant P.V. Sindhu. The 19-year-old, the world No. 11, is the top seed. She won the bronze in the World Championships last year.

Canada’s Li Michelle, ranked 20th in the world, is the second seed and Singapore’s world No. 27 Ju Guan is the third seed.

World No. 33 Jing Yi, who won the Iran Open early this year, is the fourth seed.

Former national ace Wong Mew Choo reached the final in New Delhi in 2010 before losing to Saina.

6. *___*

*___* Regular Member

Disappointing to see Thien How Hoon/ Boon Heong Tan wont be playing

7. Baddersmum

Baddersmum Regular Member

Can anyone see the draw yet ?

8. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    Haven't found it anywhere yet

9. Baddersmum

Baddersmum Regular Member

10. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
    The top 4 seeds should have it easy progressing into the next round. What about the draw for individual events? I can't find it anywhere.

11. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

12. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Six pools of mixed teams so I assume that the formula is top team in each pool plus the top two runner ups goes into the next round (to be drawn).

Pool A - Malaysia, Pool B - India, Pool C - Scotland, Pool D - Australia/Canada, Pool E - Singapore and Pool F - England with most likely Australia/Canada, N. Ireland as the top two runner-ups

13. craigandy

craigandy Regular Member

Yeah I meant for the individual event not team. For instance there are two pairs of MD from England but it does not tell you which is which(their names). Canada also have two men's doubles pairs one meets a pair from Ghana and the other pair plays either a Malaysian pair or a pair from jersey but no names are listed.

14. drmchsraj

drmchsraj Regular Member

Looks cool so far :)

15. scorpion1

scorpion1 Regular Member

Exciting one
    Badminton commentators selected for this event are

1. David Mercer
    2. Gill Clark
    3. Morten Frost
    4. Simon Reed
    5. Karthi Gnanasegaram

16. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Who will play Indian XD in team events..
    AP/AD or AP/PJC or JG will play???
    I guess India will loose XD to any good team...eng,Mal,Sin

17. H4rvi

H4rvi Regular Member

jwala will play....but with whon not sure.........hopefully with AD

18. Akin44

Akin44 Regular Member

Techie
    Sorry... Ashwini will be pairing with akshay for the XD in mixed team event...

19. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

20. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student