Adopting and Training a Panhandle Grip

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by PinkDawg, Jul 16, 2014.

1. amleto

amleto Regular Member

too far away/low quality to discern a 10 degree difference.

2. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

yeah i apologize that the quality isn't the best, but i did notice that w/ ppl with slight panhandle grips, during their preparation for overhead shots, their racket face faces outwards. At 1:50 when Gade prepares for the smash, his racket face is facing almost completely outwards

3. amleto

amleto Regular Member

the fact that it faces completely out is to do with his arm position, not the grip, which is very conventional. If it's not basic, it's only slightly adjusted - not as significant as some chinese ladies' grip.

4. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

oh okay, my mistake. I just found it strange that the racket face did not face square w/ the shuttle while he was preparing for the shot, which is a common trait that most users of the basic grip have.

5. bbirdman

bbirdman Regular Member

There's a big difference between panhandle grip and grips that vary slightly from neutral grip or basic grip.
    No Chinese female player uses panhandle or a grip anywhere near it. You just cant at that high level

As somebody as already said I once watched two mates in tournament both good singles players. The panhandler was just worn out be the other doing endless clears.

Infact panhandle should not even be taught in most cases, it doesn't need to be its an instinctive grip, too instinctive. If the shuttle is in front of you you should work towards getting onto the shuttle quick enough to use the much more powerful forehand grip.

6. PinkDawg

PinkDawg Regular Member

Thank you all so much for the elaboration on varying degrees of the panhandle grip, deviating from the standard grip. I have to disagree, and say that Wang Yihan can use at least something close to the panhandle grip.

I have a feeling that her grip is much more relaxed than it appears to be, though. Wang Yihan doesn't have the accuracy that Ratchanok Inthanon or Li Xuerui have, but her aggressive play using the panhandle grip is supported by her efficient and strong footwork.

The panhandle grip isn't for everyone, so I agree that for the most part, it shouldn't be taught to people whose playing styles don't match the grip. However, if you look at various finals between Wang Yihan vs. Li Xuerui, when Wang Yihan is healthy, Wang Yihan's playing style is well supported, which is advantageous against Li Xuerui's somewhat less aggressive play.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Well remembered.

Just because a minority of players use a more panhandle grip doesn't mean it can work for the whole population. After all, everybody is different. Those players might have a more natural internally rotated arm to which a slight panhandle grip becomes more advantageous on playing overheads.

You notice Wang Yi Han is very extreme on her round the head shots and I wonder if it is because of her grip. Her game is very physical - is it her style or the grip that makes it so? In comparison, Wang Shi Xian is also a physical player but has better control over her body movement.

So it really depends on the player....

Personally, I think a slight panhandle is quite OK.

If it is full panhandle, then that would be difficult for all court play

One thing for sure, a truly good player needs to change their grip position quickly from shot to shot in a rally.:)

9. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
  10. visor

visor Regular Member

Very well stated.

Our hands are not glued onto the handle.

During any rally when I'm not hitting, I hold my racket with a loose grip. Biased forehand or backhand depending on what I'm anticipating. And held shorter (closer to the cone) if I'm needing speed for defending, driving, or playing front. And held longer (closer to the butt) for power if I'm smashing, clearing, or playing rear.

Adjusting your grip should be as natural as footwork.

11. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

One grip isn't enough. And if you must choose one grip, panhandle is a bad choice.

The panhandle grip is useful in specific situations. It's good for some forehand shots out well in front of you at the net (e.g. pushes, some net kills). It's also good for some rearcourt backhands, if you adjust it by straightening the thumb. And there are other uses too...

It's a very bad grip for forehand clears or smashes, because it makes them weak and creates a low contact point. Beginners typically use the panhandle grip for these shots, and it can take a lot of coaching to fix this problem.

To a lesser extent, it's also a bad grip for drop shots. At this stage in your badminton, I would avoid the panhandle grip for any rearcourt forehand shots.

12. Gollum

Gollum Regular Member

(I should mention that I was replying to the original post, not the subsequent discussion.)

Yes, especially for specific shots (e.g. reverse slice). Indeed, it can be quite important. This is something I'm using in my own game, and my teaching, more and more.

It's crucial to distinguish between full panhandle and slight panhandle. They are very different beasts.

#52 Gollum, Aug 4, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2014