When to cover your partner in double?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Fumoffuu, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

studies!! studies!! studies!!
    Ok! we all know the basic!

1. I do a short serve, i stay in front, i do a long serve, i go back to my square!
    2. I smash or drop from the back, my partner has to cover me forward and I cover the back.
    3 I am forced to clear the bird far back, we go back to our squares!

but here's the situation that aroused a kind of conflict btw me and my partner!!
    The adversaries gave us a "gift bird', high enough on the middle! my partner was on the left, easy killer smash on his forehand.. Way to punish the adversaries for this, he jumped high for a killer smash that was kinda deadly... Yet UNFORTUNATELY.. as many would have doubt.. the bird hit right on the net rebounds and the adversaries return the bird (with a ouf!!) to my partner's left!

We both stood here stall.. doing nothing... the bird was for whom? Me or Him?

After the jump smash, he quickly get backwards because he wanted to cover the back. I saw him smash on the middle, quick in front, so i stayed on my right! I tell him that it would have been easier for him to make 2 steps on the left and cover the left while i cover the right but he says no! he went on a jump smash, it's automatic that i should have taken the front and him the back because he was unbalanced. but I still believe that bird was for him because it was easier for him to cover his square and me the right!!

What do you guys think?

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    In my opinion, I think your partner should have followed up on the attack.

3. wood_22_chuck

wood_22_chuck Regular Member

Electronics Technologist
    There're two schools of thought. Attack and follow-up to the net, and the other is just as you outlined:

If you subscribe to the quote above, then it's your shot.

-dave

4. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    Let me see if I got this correct .Your partner smashed from around midcourt area down the middle to have it returned to the left or his halfcourt as shown in the diagram.That return is his as after the smash you are both in the midcourt you are equal distance to any reasonable return which is good court coverage.It is easier and just as effective for him to get it as you distance wise unless you are going to pull a great dive to get it.If he gets it you can circle behind him to cover the backcourt if he netshots a return for another lift.If he lifts the return you are back to your side by side defense postions awaiting the next shot.

Attached Files:

5. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

this is what happened.. he moved back after the smash and thought i would have moved forward... but i stayed on my block thinking he would get back to his blcok after the smash, so in the end there was a big hole on the left where the adversaries obviously dropped. On our future games.. he tells me I should go forward in that situation but i personally don't think it as a good idea... but certainly if the bird didn't hit the net.. i hardly believe they would have been able to return the bird.

Indeed, my principle for double is that if you smash from the back, obviously.. i would cover the front but he smashed right in the middle of the court, why should i cover the front when i'm on the right and you're in the middle... I don't think i'm wong right?

Attached Files:

6. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I think he's right though. In my opinion anyways. It's easier for him to move back after the jump smash than the move front. If the other side made a deep clear, it'll take seconds to get to the back. That way, he can recover his step and move back while you cover the front.

If the other side did a drop after he did a jump smash, there's no way he can land and dive for the birdie on time....

7. bighook

bighook New Member

student
    The point being as always in badminton which is always expect a return as no matter what the shot your hitting it may come back.That is the stance all the professionals must take as there is no givens .The return might have been just too good under the circumstances and in fact might have been a mishit which would have thrown anybody off.Postion wise however he was closer and it would have been difficult for his partner to scramble for that return.Sometimes the absolute winner shot comes back and thats the beauty of the game.Doubles rotation requires good concentration , knowing where your partner is going to hit it and sometimes luck.

8. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    Sounds like your partner should follow up his own smash since he's in the midcourt. His forward momentum would at least make it easier for him to intercept the return whereas you are further from the return and will hesitate due to his proximity. Also for him to move back after his smash would have been defensive (much harder to maintain balance if shot need to be made), and you don't want to lose your offense... always try to hit a shot moving forward. When done right, he should intercept the shot and you move to backcourt for the expected lift (if he makes the right shot). Sounds like he wants to stay at the back all the time:rolleyes:. If he wants to be at the back all the time, just tell him to make the right shots. Weak smash or ill considered shots will not keep him there:p.

It's different if he smashed from the baseline though. That's when you'll have room and little doubt about your coverage.

#8 cappy75, Mar 26, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  9. blckknght

blckknght Regular Member

Pastry Chef
    i'll have to concur with what cappy said. if he's smashing from mid court, any return will come back very fast (except if it bounces off the net). If he's already smashing from mid court, you wouldn't be able to do much good if you're in front of him. Much easier for him to carry his momentum forward from the smash, absolutely.
    G

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    you partner should move forward.

many good points has already been made to support that, but i want to add one more. if you partner has been attacking from the rear court, if a mid court shot pops up, by him going forward and you moving backward, you two have switch position. if the birdie does come back, you will be at the rear now with a fresh arm to continue the attack. your partner will have time to take a breath after all the work he did.

so moving forward is usually the best move.

11. Benasp

Benasp Regular Member

sometime it's better to follow your smash like in this situation it's better to follow the smash

12. Fumoffuu

Fumoffuu Regular Member

thx a lot guys!
    i was starting to doubt myself and I will also take into account to what kwun said.. because i don't think i would have taken the bird also if the it was lifted on the return. I'm not quite too sure if i'm gonna agree with kwun on that part. This is because if he smashed and followed his momentum forward, i would be quite on the right and if they return it with a long lob to my partner's left, i would definitely have to force myself on the backhand drop or clear (which is quite strainful while if we both stayed on our squares respectively, i think he can easily re-position himself to continue the attack but as kwun said.. it might also tire my partner too much which is not too good also.

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    If the opponent's return with a 'long lob' to your left, it is definately your shot if you are playing a good level of doubles.

With your partner in the midcourt smash, you should have anticipated such a shot (even though you cannot see him, the opponents return would have given you a clue).

You then take one step to the right to allow him space to run forward.

As he smashes, you are already starting to move backwards in anticipation of any rear court shots.

Did anybody say your partner has to smash intelligently as well? Ask him not to smash too much straight down the same side of the court. If the shuttle gets flicked back over his head, it's tempting for him to stop, back-pedal and go for this shot. Tell him to smash with a little diagonal angle nearer the centre line - any straight lift will be then easier for you to hit.

This should help most of the time. If it doesn't, your opponents are too strong and smart for you:)

14. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    Sorry I didn't read the replies but a good way to improve tactically and movement:

A good way to teach court movement and a way to get to know where each member will go or respond is each player hits only one shot to start with.

If there is a feeder on one side and the doubles team on the other

Both players are connected by an immaginary piece of rope, after you hit a shot you are out of position, your partner covers from a base position roughly in the middle of the court covering the other three corners from which you are furthest having played your shot.

Because of the connection as soon as your partner moves to hit a shot you have to move into the middle to cover because the rope is pulled tight and takes you in towards the midddle.

This gets both players moving and thinking about covering, the better part comes when the feeder on the other side plays two shots to near positions on the court to improve covering. ie. if a player hits one from one side at the front and the next goes to the other side at the front there are two options, (i) The player who has hit already gets it because they are already at the front or (ii) the covering player goes for it to let their partner recover.

It is a very good drill to get communication going between the two parties in a doubles team, very soon both players will anticipate the others responses better.

15. Baminton_junkie

Baminton_junkie Regular Member

Floor Layer
    You want a little of advice if you just want to put in home.

One when your oppenents lift to you, Both you and your partner drop step.
    Now you swing early for a regular upper body smash but come beside the (inside (towards you)) and duck. Then your partner comes in with a jump and puts it home. Timing is precise so practice practice PRACTICE!!