BWF Reviews Scoring System

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by pcll99, May 20, 2014.

1. laivc

laivc Regular Member

Sales
    IMHO, the players got tired not by playing in the 5 sets of 11pts game, the players got tired for the countless times they are required to carry their bags and change side after a short 11 pt game.

2. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

i think its simple as this,

Tennis is popular because its popular in America and Europe. Badminton isnt becasue its predominantly asain sports.

How did watching football and tennis became so popular in asian countries? Because its cool to do what western countries do. Its cool to copy western cutlure, clothes, brands, chain of restaurants etc etc etc.

Badminton will only ever become cool if western developed countries start to take it seriously.

3. madbinton845

madbinton845 Regular Member

Yeah you are right, i was watching the dutch open yesterday and the players were giving up on games so quickly even if the opponent was only 3 or 4 points ahead. that would never happen in the 21 scoring system. and its painful to wwatch who is winning if the score is 10 all in the last game. its less drama than the 21 score system in my opinion.

4. cyberlettuce

cyberlettuce Regular Member

This scoring system seems very badly thought out. I don't think it actually gives enough time for Tension to build up during a game. Sport should be about highs and lows and come backs as well as one sided victories but within the 11 points there is so little time for any of this to develop. It seems to rather defeat the object of changing it. The fact that the there is no two point margin at the end of the games (especially the 5th game) makes everything very predictable. While this is great for tv scheduling it is very bad for sport. The there is no point making changes to the sport which present it in a much more boring and predictable way and then try and launch it on tv in a big way....

5. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

is there a date given when the decision will be made? any chance the new system will NOT be introduced?

6. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

For a different take on the matter, the new English National Badminton League (NBL) has adopted a 5x9point system.

The new format includes innovations such as one 'Power Play' per side per match - this can be called by either side at any time. If the side choosing the 'Power Play' win the rally, they score two points, if they lose, their opponents score the usual one point.

Also, there's no coaching between games. Instead, each side can call a 45s 'time out' at any point during the match (one 'time out' per side per match), when they can confer with coaches. This has interesting potential tactically.

You can see the new system working here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7MPlLZdsMY

(where, btw, you can watch Olga Konon at 1hr44m - a welcome return to competitive badminton)

Difficult to see how 5x11 or 5x9 would work at club level, so maybe we're heading for multiple scoring systems (as exist in other sports e.g. cricket)?

smautf

#206 Smautf, Nov 9, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  7. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    I watched several of the matches and was quite interesting on the different strategies that come into play with the last game options - although initially they did confuse me a bit. One match ended with a power play but the scoring did not go the full length, and left me scratching my head a bit.
    This is from their site:

"If a tie-break at 2-games-all is required, the final game will be decided on either the first to five points or the first player to achieve a clear three point lead."

I think this works very effectively in a team/club competitions, making for slight quicker match times and offering more strategy off court as well as actual play.

8. MonkeyMadness

MonkeyMadness Regular Member

I just think after such a fantastic MD world championships final. Why would anyone want this new system? To save time? If that's the only reason it's a joke. No tension, constant games been given away, even more time outs. It's like making F1 7 mini races of 5 laps.

9. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

According to the BWF website, they are having their year-end meeting in Peru (as they just held a signing ceremony to present Peru with next year's World Jr Championships) that concludes on Friday. So hopefully soon BWF will make an announcement on how the trials went and what they feel the next step would be. (Usually takes about 3-4 weeks for AGM information to be released though).

By the way, this was what was brought up during the May AGM with the reasons on why they wanted to change the scoring system.

http://bwfbadminton.org/file.aspx?id=555962&dl=1

#209 CantSmashThis, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014
  10. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

11. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

Bullsh** remains bullsh**, even if you put some candy on top...

12. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

what does that mean? that 5 sets will not end on 11-10 but at 15-14? i would find that a major improvement as it was the biggest defect of the 5x11 system IMO

what does 3point decider mean?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think 3 point decider means 10-10 and then decide to play to thirteen. So the score theoretically could be as follows: 10-10, 10-11, 10-12, 11-12, 11-13

On the other hand, it could mean the first to 12 points - best of three points.

Oh dear. Bit confusing.

14. cxytdn

cxytdn Regular Member

A: set 3 point

10-10 choose set 3 point, then:
    13-10 over or,
    13-11 over or,
    13-12 over.

B: to 15 point

10-10 no choose set 3 point, then:
    12-10 over or,
    13-11 over or,
    14-12 over or,
    15-13 over or,
    15-14 over.

#214 cxytdn, Nov 27, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  15. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

I just watched Surrey vs Loughborough and it's absolutely bizarre that a match can end on 5-4. There was no climax at all, it just suddenly ended. What is happening to badminton :confused:

16. goku999

goku999 Regular Member

Professional
    It feels like BWF can't make their mind up on a scoring system they believe will raise the awareness of badminton. And it more than baffles me as to why they are trialling/testing rally point systems of 11 points per set (up to 15).

What is the fastest racket sport in the world will soon have matches ending in the quickest times with less climatic points.

Personally, I'd prefer the old 15 point system where you can score a point only on serve. The current rally system of 3x21 is good IMHO. Just don't see how changing scoring system every few years can actually benefit the development of the sport on international TV.

17. Dimo

Dimo Regular Member

Pre-Raphaelite & Classic Art
    Thing is, for some it's a long haul to 21 points and it can be tedious viewing if it's one-sided. I think it would be better to play 5 short sets (to 12 or 15) rather than 3 long ones.

18. renbo

renbo Regular Member

This has very little to do with enlarging the crowds or viewers. Look at tennis, how long some match can be... BWF takes the easy way saying badminton is not watched because of the scoring system... It is much easier then to self-criticize!

19. renbo

renbo Regular Member

And of course there is cricket and baseball...

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    in all badminton events, we see the finals of five disciplines arranged on one afternoon. 5 matches....

Tennis concentrates resources on singles tournaments.

I wonder when we will see the first singles tournament (that excludes doubles) that gives ranking points for the competitors....or vice versa. I wonder if BWF have blocked this before. Why not give solely doubles competitions or solely singles competitions a chance?