Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for pointing that out. i should've gone through all the posts but this morning woke up with a dead server and bunch of other chores so missed your post. normally i would give Chinese media a grain of salt when it comes to these reports, however, this particular article is written by Liang Yan who has been doing badminton reporting for more than a decade and reputable.

so I wonder what would be the next step. BAM as the national organization will certainly defend Lee Chong Wei, it is up to BWF to deal with the case now. I am sure BWF don't want to see any doping scandal in badminton, esp for someone who is as popular as Lee Chong Wei. however, rule is rule and an international organization must be impartial and thus cannot and must not bend the rule. otherwise BWF will be seen a joke from now on.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    perhaps some international body isn't as strict as cycling. :eek:

3. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Sure, move on and all that... but the "blessing in disguise" statement caries an implication that LCW was in the way of allowing other MAS players to reach their full potential, in some way. That would not be true. The ones responsible for that situation would be BAM, and the players themselves.

4. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    Yes, agree definitely that chinese media can very often not be too reputable on these things, in fact there was some major confusion when the story just broke and there were posts circulating on weibo claiming that B sample was already positive about 36 hours ago.

5. eaglehelang

eaglehelang Regular Member

The official statement from Sports Minister actually states that still waiting for the date for testing of sample B.
    "Beliau telah melakukan permohonan tersebut dan sedang menunggu maklum balas daripada persekutuan sukan antarabangsa berkenaan tentang tarikh ujian B sampel.

Buat masa ini kita masih menunggu tarikh untuk ujian B sampel. Sebarang tindakan dan kenyataan selanjutnya akan dibuat berpandukan keputusan ujian B sampel. "

https://www.facebook.com/Khairykj?ref=ts&fref=ts

If any news, Msian media will catch on to it first. LCW's name was first mentioned by TV news. It's not that China news agency not trustable, it's not their country's news, in the past there were some inaccuracies in their reporting.

#10225 eaglehelang, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  6. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    A bit lazy to trawl the pages, so I'd appreciate if anyone could help here... where and when was the random test made?

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    It started on page 592 and post #10064..

8. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Thanks, but the real answer lies on page 595, Post # 10105

Apparently the sampling was done at the WC 2014

9. tbgoh288

tbgoh288 Regular Member

#10229 tbgoh288, Oct 22, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2014
  10. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
  11. ketvun

ketvun Regular Member

Accountant
  12. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    From the same sourced link, another excerpt:

"In 2006, he was tested positive for Dexamethasone, That is the same banned substance that a current top national athlete is alleged to have been tested positive for."

13. ketvun

ketvun Regular Member

Accountant
    Ooops, my post got deleted by someone or admin. I may piss off someone. I will keep silence, it seems like not free to speak here.

14. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Please provide a link to your source. That is all that is required if you quote a source. :)

15. ketvun

ketvun Regular Member

Accountant
    Thanks, I don't want to get trouble. You can find it in China Tencent News. It is easily to find if you know Mandarin. Thanks.

16. Mr. Epic

Mr. Epic Regular Member

Student
  17. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    thanks for the link. the summary is this. CCTV sports made some contact to someone in Malaysia connected with BAM, who turned out to be Wong Choong Hann, and confirmed via him that the B sample was tested positive in a lab in Norway. the testing was completed on the 21st.

18. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    I still can't believe it. This is like a huge shock to me, seriously!
    I am an ardent, hard core Lin Dan fan, and often when I saw his supporters going berserk and denying the supremacy of Lin Dan, I felt so frustrated, so angry, that I could have almost enjoyed almost any bad publicity of LCW. But now, when it is here, I just refuse to believe it. It is totally devastating. He is the man, that you didn't wanna love, but nevertheless ended up adoring. It is bad for the sport, bad for him, and bad for me.
    As Lin Dan has said, "without a Lee Chong Wei, there would not be a Lin Dan." I always thought that was just polite and generous of LD to say that. I have always believed LD would have been great no matter what. But now that I see it, there are very few players in the world who can force LD to shift to his higher gears, let alone consistently do so. I see a point to LD now. I am surprised that instead of relishing over the misery of LCW fans, ones who have often derided and belittled LD, I am heart broken. Instead of waiting to enjoy what Morten Frost has to say, to instead feel for what he would say. I am sad, and surprisingly so. I guess whichever player we chose to support, we are infact ultimately united by the great sport of badminton, though I am not sure the people who called LD names would have been as sad had the situation flipped over its head. I would like to believe so. I would believe so.

19. visor

visor Regular Member

You guys, take it easy, calm down.

You have to understand that it's a low level drug detected, meaning not the most egregious type of PED like steroids or EPO. It most likely is an inadvertent use of something simple like a cold medicine etc.

A minor but big difference as to intention. So don't need to paint such a bleak situation.

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Dexamethasone?

If it is low level, a ban will still stand.

There was a sprinter called Linford Christie who took some herbal medicine and that finished his career at the age of about 34.

However, the reputation remains largely intact.

Hmm, I wonder if it is something to do with that stem cell treatment (as mentioned previously).