Is serving an advantage in badminton?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by *___*, Aug 18, 2014.

1. TeddyC

TeddyC Regular Member

( ●.●) --O #>
    To a limited extent, ime, it can b an advantage depending on the following...

And yes, it does gain me n my mates some quick pts! Especially, with the noobs
    ; p

#21 TeddyC, Oct 7, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  2. visor

visor Regular Member

It's only an advantage if your service skill is better than the opponent's receiving skill.

3. |_Footwork_|

|_Footwork_| Regular Member

In theory, serving in badminton is always a disadvantage. You have to play a defensive shot. You can never play an outright winner! (I haven't seen any aces in badminton so far...;-))

In practice, serving is a huge disadvantage in doubles games. In singles it doesn't matter that much (if at all...)

4. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Sadly, the recent MD in the world is now taught to push and drive instead, no more lifts or nets.

5. amleto

amleto Regular Member

people who are saying serve must be disadvantage because it has to go up are missing the point. You can serve so that the shuttle goes down immediately after passing the net. This means the receiver has to hit up AND the server has the option to be as close as they want to the net!

There is no way the serve is a 'huge disadvantage' in doubles otherwise there would never be any any runs of points with the same server.

6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Can't say I agree with that, there has been aces in badminton, although rare, there has been some. Usually either flick serves that fool a receiver anticipating a short serve. Sometimes it could be from the receiver leaving a short serve thinking it would be out only for it to go in.

7. |_Footwork_|

You're not serious, are you?
    Ok, technically, misjudgement is a "winner".

Nevertheless, serves are always passive in badminton. A serve can't produce a "real winner" (whatever that means...).

Of course there are winning streaks while serving. But there are losing streaks in serving in tennis as well and noone would consider that serving in tennis isn't a HUGE advantage.

I haven't crunched the numbers, but according to my "feeling", in men's doubles you have a 60-70% chance of losing the point when you serve. And that disadvantage is enormous!

8. speedyJT

speedyJT Regular Member

Software Engineer
    Can only agree to this. Wise visor :D

9. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer
    Serving is an advantage. If you are serving it means you just won a point. the more you are serving the more point you have been winning. :p

more serious answer, if same skill, serving is either good enough to keep it neutral or bad enough so the opponent can attack it. you rarely get a good (beneficial) serve. think of how many points are won from a serve. think of how many points are won on a serve return - more.

10. amleto

amleto Regular Member

Ludicrous. Points won on first serve in tennis is 60-80%. Badminton serve cannot be compared to disadvantage in receiving in tennis! Your "feeling's" credibility is totally blown.

http://www.atpworldtour.com/rankings/matchfacts.aspx

11. visor

visor Regular Member

If we watch the pros receive (those who toe the service line, who can pounce on the serve like a hungry cat, or who can equally leap one step back to punish a flick serve), only the best serves can escape attack.

This is true in level doubles (MD more so than WD), less so in singles, and especially magnified in XD when it's the man serving to the man!

12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Nope it isn't

There is no correlation of winning a point with serving as an advantage. In singles, serves are more or less neutral, but in doubles, the server is the one who is defensive because his serve will be attacked by the receiver.

you can compare to volleyball, tennis or table tennis where the receiver is the the defensive side because they concentrate on blocking and defending the serve.

This is completely different from badminton where the server must be aware of the receiver return. We are told to "attack" the serve in badminton, not being taught how to defend against it.

There is more chance of the point being won because you do a drive, push and smashes when you receive the serve rather than you get a point from the serve you do.

13. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Of course I'm serious. Are you? :)

You said
    And I am correcting you by saying they do exist, you can play "outright winners" or "aces" (whatever you want to call it) in badminton from serving. It does happen, but very rarely.

I gave you two examples. Flicking is the obvious one. A short serve that looks out, but falling in is another. I find with spun low serves this can sometimes appear out to the receiver, but end up landing in.

Not saying you can count on it as an advantage nor am I saying serving is a disadvantage.

14. BaggedCat

BaggedCat Regular Member

Video Games Designer

You're either quoting the wrong person to reply or you didn't really read my post properly did you.

15. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Yes it will.

Imagine if in volleyball or tennis you must hit the ball upwards below your ribcage. Will we see many points scored from the serve (in case of tennis) or put the opponent under immediate pressure (like volleyball)? the answer is no.

The serve where we can hit the ball downward with an overhead immediately puts pressure on the opponents and win more points than a serve where the ball is hit upward below the rib cage.

Imagine those tennis players who use serve as their main source of scoring (because they can only hit hard but are less agile), their points will be less. The same with the teams that use the downward serve in Volleyball.

Hitting a shuttle so it
    1. immediately goes down after passing the net
    2. touches the line
    3. Have the right speed
    4. have the right height just above the net

is a very hard skill that even many pros haven't completely mastered. Even so with the below ribcage rule.

and believe me, now is the era of drives, net's and pushes. many players don't lift anymore if being served. It is the server side that usually has to lift because the serve is being attacked by netting, drive or push.

16. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think the other sports are too different to draw comparisons here particularly tennis, and I don't know enough about volley ball to comment.

Let me explain my earlier comment. If after a long debate in this thread, we decide that serving is an advantage, how will capitalising on that knowledge allow us to win more points than we did before we knew it was an advantage? What will you do differently?

Does it really matter? If it is a disadvantage, so what? What can you do about it?

17. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Knowing it is advantage and disadvantage is connected to the reward.

we know serving overhead in tennis and volleyball is advantageous and serving underhand is disadvantageous, so we use the advantageous method.

for Badminton, my thinking is, the winner of the point should be in an advantageous situation to control the game by serving, not in a disadvantageous situation. if the serving is disadvantageous, it hurts the winner.

why should the prize go to the loser. that is what i think.

the other is my personal thinking that serving should control the game and be an advantage. if it isn't and advantage, it must be made as and advantage.

#37 opikbidin, Oct 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
  18. |_Footwork_|

Anyone know, where I can get point-by-point match statistics (international level...)? Then I could do the stats to back up (or defeat) my claim that serving is a disadvantage.

I would guess it's at least a 60% advantage for the returner in men's doubles...

19. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    You will find the one who serves more wins the match

20. visor

visor Regular Member

Can't argue with that... :)